Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:41 AM

60 posts, read 288,593 times

Advertisements

We are inside the Raleigh city limits, and we went through them for our dog licenses. We go to Falls Point Animal Hospital.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:21 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,698,378 times
The whole state needs revamping on animal control in many different ways. Before banning pits the they should look at what they are doing to enforce the laws that are in place now. Then see how they can better the situation for both man and beast.
The banning of the pits also stems not just from the biting incidence and incidences but also from the many people who have been pitting their dogs and the city having to confiscate dozens at a time and nowhere to keep them for an undisclosed amount of time while this matter is tired up in courts waiting for hearings etc. Just a few years ago pitting became quite pronounced over their in Durham.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:05 PM

177 posts, read 848,516 times
Some of the sweetest dogs I've met have been pitties adopted as pups by nice, gentle families. Some of the most aggressive doggies I've met have been cockers that were adopted as pups by nice, gentle families.

Breeding - or should I say inbreeding - is an issue with any/all breeds. Hateful people are hateful people that raise hateful pets. We cannot blame anything other than breeders and hateful pet parents.

eileen

Old 04-19-2007, 06:27 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,680,315 times
I thought I would post these pictures I took today at the dogpark (Milbrook).

The quality isn't isn't great, I just had my cell phone, but when I saw Aspen (2-year old miniature poodle rescue) and Z (my 7-year old Bichon) playing so well with a 2-year old pit bull named Duchess I couldn't help but think of this thread and snapped a few pictures to share.

There were quite a few other dogs there today (though not as many as normal, it looked like rain most of the afternoon) and here this 'big bad mean pit bull' is playing with two small fluffy dogs....and Aspen and Z were certainly the dominate dogs.

Duchess is a prime example of the sweet, gentle and sort of doofy breed pit bulls really are. Pits don't have any special genes to make them mean or make them 'lock their jaws'.

Her owner was a nice young man who obviously cared for the dog, took good care of her, socialized her well....though he was good-naturally embarrassed that the fluffy little dogs were the 'in the lead'.

1. Z and Duchess facing off.

http://people.delphiforums.com/sorayaj/ZD.jpg (broken link)

2. Aspen and Duchess playing.
http://people.delphiforums.com/sorayaj/ADclose.jpg (broken link)

3. This is a wider shot of Aspen and Duchess that gets some of the dog park itself.
http://people.delphiforums.com/sorayaj/ADwide.jpg (broken link)
<BR>
<BR>

Why should Duchess be 'banned' because other dogs have stupid owners?

Old 04-19-2007, 06:43 PM

351 posts, read 694,766 times
I didn't read all the posts in this thread but I thought I'd add my 2 cents in here. Why do people have such beef about pits? Those dogs are actually quite sweet and are considered one of the more stable dogs out there if brought up correctly in a good home. They are highly active dogs, but if people don't properly train them and socialize them they don't know how to act. They just happen to have very strong jaws but even they aren't the strongest nor most vicious fighters out there.

There's that list of banned dogs. In other states, they have realized that the majority of dog attacks are caused by irresponsible people and dog owners. People who stick their hands in to other people's properties are bound to get bit. The dog only wants to protect his loved ones, his family, his pack. It's not his fault. People just shouldn't stick their hands into fences and expect a happy, sweet dog with plenty of kisses to give away. Dog will defend themselves if they feel threatened. If they are not properly socialized, they will protect themselves by means of not knowing if they are safe to trust what's happening to them will not hurt them. A dog that is trained and socialized around love, affection, limits, and boundaries will be much better behaved and will react in a much more mannered way towards strangers.

There are a lot of people out there that train these pits to fight. These dogs don't understand what's happening to them. They know their trainer wants them to fight, so they fight. That's what they know. Take a pit into a loving family, with kids and other pets, that gets taken out on walks (on a leash because that's the law), and you'll find a MUCH calmer, well-mannered, affectionate dog that has no intention of fighting another person, child, or dog. It's the people that want a dog that needs training on how to be a responsible pet owner. Dogs look to us for guidance, discipline, attention, and love. Responsible owners know how to do that. It's simple. Dog are like children. They need rules, attention, security, affection, and guidelines just as dogs do.

I am very much against any ban on any dog. People want to own a dog; they need to learn how to be a good owner and not put other people in danger by not spending the money on a simple training class and proper attention. If you aren't willing to put up that kind of needed attention to your dog, then you shouldn't own a dog.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:40 AM

110 posts, read 332,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azile View Post
If you aren't willing to put up that kind of needed attention to your dog, then you shouldn't own a dog.
Not to jump all over what has been said in this thread, there are lots of good points, but...

Sadly, "shouldn't", often gets us nowhere. This is why we have seatbelt laws (talk to Governor Corzine).....bicycle helmet laws (talk to a pediatric emergency room nurse).....gun control laws (now there's a joke), etc etc etc, to protect everyone from the "shouldn'ts".

The statistics show that my child or myself are more likely to die from a bite from a Pit or Rottie, than a bite from another breed (and yes I know some "sweet ones" too). How am I supposed to protect myself from the irresponsible owners of which we all agree there are plenty? It has been made clear here that dog licensing in Wake County is almost non-existent.

Regulation is one of the ways we do this in our society. We take so many other rules and regulations for granted because they have been around for a long time or they suit our particular lifestyle. For heaven's sake I've read threads about how upset people are that someone actually had the audacity to park a car in front of their house!! Sheesh! This is certainly not life threatening but we go nuts over it. Talk to someone who has been rushed at and bitten by a "domestic" dog. And ask them about the rabies shots too. It isn't pretty.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:05 AM

106 posts, read 310,743 times
http://www.realpitbull.com/myths.html

Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,368,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhouse View Post
The statistics show that my child or myself are more likely to die from a bite from a Pit or Rottie, than a bite from another breed (and yes I know some "sweet ones" too). How am I supposed to protect myself from the irresponsible owners of which we all agree there are plenty? It has been made clear here that dog licensing in Wake County is almost non-existent.
People who want a "macho" dog are always going to find one. If you ban one breed, then the these types of owners will either ignore the new law and continue to own and buy the same breeds, or move on to the next popular one.

Lets assume that banning Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Chows and multiple other breeds is successful and irresponsible owners can't or don't own any. What then? They are probably going to get a different breed, say a German Shepard, and treat it with the same lack of love and kindness. And now German Shepards are the breed most likely to cause serious bodily injury, so they are banned. And so on.

The problem lies with the irresponsible pet owner. No amount of legislating breeds is going to solve that particular problem - at least, not breed-specific laws.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:10 AM

110 posts, read 332,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
People who want a "macho" dog are always going to find one. If you ban one breed, then the these types of owners will either ignore the new law and continue to own and buy the same breeds, or move on to the next popular one.

Lets assume that banning Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Chows and multiple other breeds is successful and irresponsible owners can't or don't own any. What then? They are probably going to get a different breed, say a German Shepard, and treat it with the same lack of love and kindness. And now German Shepards are the breed most likely to cause serious bodily injury, so they are banned. And so on.

The problem lies with the irresponsible pet owner. No amount of legislating breeds is going to solve that particular problem - at least, not breed-specific laws.
I would agree totally. Just read the news....sigh.

PS I have a German Shepherd Dog.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:27 AM

106 posts, read 310,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post

I agree. Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary