Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:55 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times

Advertisements

Frankly and to the point I am sick as hell of going out to eat only at some point to be treated to some screaming brat and their mindless so-called parents who are clearly unable, or worse, unwilling to teach their kids to behave (in public at least) and do little if anything about it. Also I don't consider taking newborns out to eat to be terribly brilliant either. I guess I'm one of these radicals who thinks eating out should be a relatively peaceful experience....so tell me, while I know it's probably a pipe dream, are there any good places to eat in or near Raleigh which tends to have more of an adult clientele?

Old 12-13-2008, 08:03 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,689 times
I'm guessing you don't have kids. Every child has their moments, unfortunately, sometimes it happens in public. That doesn't make them a brat and it doesn't make their parents any less of a parent. And parents of newborns need to eat too. Why should they be forced to eat in their homes or hire a babysitter for 6 months of their lives? Until you've walked a mile in their shoes, please reserve the name calling and judgement.

As far as places to go that don't have children, good luck with that. Children and families have just as much a right to eat anywhere as you do and as you can probably see, the Triangle is booming with young families. Your best bet is going out after most families have already headed home for the night to tuck their screaming brats into bed.

Last edited by Babytarheelz; 12-13-2008 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-13-2008, 08:05 PM

675 posts, read 1,833,461 times
I can totally sympathize, though we're in Durham and probably can't recommend any places for you in Raleigh. We usually will go out to dinner late for just this reason. Usually 8pm or later.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Try to go to restaurants that have bars and sit in that section.
I cant say you will not run into this episode but it more minimal

Old 12-13-2008, 08:14 PM

1,967 posts, read 954,462 times
I have surely been in bars at 8-9 pm and had to endure little kids with their parents having a late dinner. Although some of these kids were behaving themselves, I would have to ask why would a parent bring their kids into a drinking establishment? Isn't exposing kids to this culture a bit wrong?

Old 12-13-2008, 08:16 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
I would suggest either restaurants frequented by young professionals (they don't tend to have children) or expensive restaurants (people don't tend to take their children to them). If you go to a moderately priced restaurant frequented by adults who are 30+ year old, you are quite likely to see people with children.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
I'm guessing you don't have kids.
Pretending for a moment that's relevant, you would be guessing wrong.

Quote:
Every child has their moments, unfortunately, sometimes it happens in public. That doesn't make them a brat and it doesn't make their parents any less of a parent.
True. And FYI I do not ask for perfection. But but screaming at the top of one's lungs is NOT excusable for ANY human being unless they're in pain (or extremely afraid) and "kids will be kids" is a very weak excuse. If I had a nickel for every time a kid was being an obnoxious brat simply because it could, while Mr/Mrs Griswald did little if anything, I'd be rich. I DO expect if a child is acting up for the parent to deal with it. Immediately. Sadly, these are often unrealistic expectations nowdays.

Quote:
And parents of newborns need to eat too. Why should they be forced to eat in their homes or hire a babysitter for 6 months of their lives?

You're right! The horror! God forbid people experience the unbearable torture of not eating out and/or getting a baby-sitter for - gasp - SIX entire months (a timeframe that should be considerably longer btw)! Better to just bring the screaming darling along and disrupt/ruin everyone else's meal. Who cares about them? How considerate and classy.

Quote:
Until you've walked a mile in their shoes, please reserve the name calling and judgement.
Until you know what you're talking about, kindly take a look in the mirror. This may come as a shock, but I managed to somehow survive the supreme sacrifice you mention above - ie only eating out if I could find a baby-sitter after we had kids - till they were at least 2/3 years old. Amazingly, we survived. In fact, it wasn't much of a sacrifice at all, and the idea that it would be for anyone else is more than a little bizarre.

Further, even then we were selective and had the IQs/forethought not to go out if our kids had had a long day (meaning a greatly increased chance of crankiness and therefore acting up) or otherwise seemed to be copping an attitude. In fact, since they liked going out, if they started up or misbehaved, not going out was a form of punishment. Again, radical nowdays I realize........but guess what? It WORKED. Our kids are by no means perfect (their parents even less so ) but ARE very well-behaved, to the point where we have gotten compliments numerous times. People have even expressed amazement at how well they behave in (for ex) restaurants. And when people go "how do you do it?" I typically say something like "we don't put up with their BS." Some get it - some don't.

Quote:
As far as places to go that don't have children, good luck with that. Children and families have just as much a right to eat anywhere as you do and as you can probably see, the Triangle is booming with young families.
Yes, I've become painfully aware of these facts.

Quote:
Your best bet is going out after most families have already headed home for the night to tuck their screaming brats into bed.
Good idea and thanks (to you and others' similar suggestions); we are trying that, but it's not always feasible/desirable (having kids of our own and all).

If they could legally come up w/a "only 21 and over" restaurant, I would pay serious coin to eat there.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe530 View Post
I have surely been in bars at 8-9 pm and had to endure little kids with their parents having a late dinner. Although some of these kids were behaving themselves, I would have to ask why would a parent bring their kids into a drinking establishment? Isn't exposing kids to this culture a bit wrong?
ya think?

So is declining to teach one's children to behave. But sadly, while you need a license to own a dog or catch a fish, any flaming (pick fav word) can become a parent.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:53 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,689 times
Seriously, you don't need to be so rude about it. If you genuinely want to know where to eat where you won't encounter children, then simply pose the question. I have no problem at all if you or anyone else wants to eat in an enviroment with minimal children. But there was no need to resort to namecalling, parental judgement, sarcasm, etc. This is not the place for it and I, as well as many other parents who have found themselves in that situation a time or two I'm sure, am very offended, and I don't get offended easily.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:37 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Frankly and to the point I am sick as hell of going out to eat only at some point to be treated to some screaming brat and their mindless so-called parents who are clearly unable, or worse, unwilling to teach their kids to behave (in public at least) and do little if anything about it. Also I don't consider taking newborns out to eat to be terribly brilliant either. I guess I'm one of these radicals who thinks eating out should be a relatively peaceful experience....so tell me, while I know it's probably a pipe dream, are there any good places to eat in or near Raleigh which tends to have more of an adult clientele?

Try Red Robin at Brier Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary