Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:52 PM

551 posts, read 2,286,915 times

Advertisements

OP: Amen. I understand from first hand experience that kids have their moments, but when that moment starts, it's my belief that the parent should immediately pick that child up and go outside.

That said, I have found that Sushi and Indian/Thai restaurants tend to have fewer kids in them. Food that fewer kids love, I suppose.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:21 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
When we're going our without the kids and want a quiet dinner together, we also usually go into downtown Raleigh and go The Flying Saucer, Napper Tandy's, Sullivans, Red Room etc. We also do some of the nicer Indian/Sushi/Thai places. We *rarely* ever take the kids out to dinner with us. We get lots of take out!

Old 12-14-2008, 06:24 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,499 times
Check out Rockland it's a brand new grill/bar that just opened up the Celebration at Six Forks Shopping Center.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:38 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
OP: Amen. I understand from first hand experience that kids have their moments, but when that moment starts, it's my belief that the parent should immediately pick that child up and go outside.
I agree. I don't freak out when seated next to kids at restaurants (which happens more often than not because I always choose the non-smoking section and tend to choose lower-cost restaurants). But when the kid starts throwing food or screeching, I am always floored that the parents don't take the kids to the restroom. The other night, I saw a mom doing the ol' "Do that one more time and we're leaving!" routine. Well, the kid kept doing it and of course nothing happened. No wonder the kid wasn't worried. They didn't leave until we got our check. It completely ruined the meal and it's not a rare occurrence.

I don't have kids and I don't look down on people who do, but if I was doing something in a restaurant that ruined the experience for everyone around me, I'd like to hope that I'd be able to look around, take note of that fact, and do something about it. Many times, parents of young kids don't seem to notice (or maybe they don't care?) that they are irritating everyone else around them. It definitely fans the flames.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:03 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
On a similar note, I was at Saks in Bal Harbour Florida. There was a man shopping with his three little children (all under 4). The youngest was in a stroller while the older two boys were literally running in and out of the racks of trousers hanging in a row. They were completely uncontrolled. They were running, screaming and generally messing up the men's department. The father did NOTHING. He said NOTHING. He completely ignored them and was acting in such a way that he was entitled to have his kids run the place like a McDonald's playland.
Then, if that was not bad enough, there was a woman shopping in Saks with her dog. I was like....What???? You take your dog to Saks5thAvenue? What is with people???

Old 12-14-2008, 07:12 PM

535 posts, read 1,741,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
On a similar note, I was at Saks in Bal Harbour Florida. There was a man shopping with his three little children (all under 4). The youngest was in a stroller while the older two boys were literally running in and out of the racks of trousers hanging in a row. They were completely uncontrolled. They were running, screaming and generally messing up the men's department. The father did NOTHING. He said NOTHING. He completely ignored them and was acting in such a way that he was entitled to have his kids run the place like a McDonald's playland.
Then, if that was not bad enough, there was a woman shopping in Saks with her dog. I was like....What???? You take your dog to Saks5thAvenue? What is with people???
As we'd say on Fark...."Florida". What is sad is those kids will grow up with a sense of entitlement and will breed.

(Some sarcasm there).

Old 12-14-2008, 07:34 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Frankly and to the point I am sick as hell of going out to eat only at some point to be treated to some screaming brat and their mindless so-called parents who are clearly unable, or worse, unwilling to teach their kids to behave (in public at least) and do little if anything about it. Also I don't consider taking newborns out to eat to be terribly brilliant either. I guess I'm one of these radicals who thinks eating out should be a relatively peaceful experience....so tell me, while I know it's probably a pipe dream, are there any good places to eat in or near Raleigh which tends to have more of an adult clientele?
No you're not being a radical, I completely agree with you. That is why we go late to eat, just to avoid those babies. We don't have kids yet but if/when we do, they will have no business going to a restaurant of all places or shopping malls. We will hire a babysitter and we will go to have a peaceful dinner. If we can't afford a babysitter, then we will stay home. I noticed exactly what you say whenever we're out and I just don't understand it. That is why I don't go shopping on the weekends (have you noticed the cries in the fitting rooms because kids hate shopping!). I go after work in the evening and the fitting rooms are so quiet and lovely, you don't even see a lot of kids at the malls during weeknights. So my advice to you regarding restaurants is go as late as possible.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:42 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
The more expensive you go the less children I find. :-)
No wonder we are so broke! We tend to deliberately target the expensive ones because it is almost a guarantee that there will be very few kids, if any!!!LOL

Old 12-14-2008, 08:28 PM

154 posts, read 597,663 times
Preach on brother!

Frankly, I believe that if you can't control your children when dining out you should lose the privilege of going out to eat until they can behave. Ever stare in disbelief as some random diner points out to a awe-shocked parents just how horrible their children are acting? I'm that guy. *thimbs up*

To answer your original question, Casa Carbone on Glenwood Ave. used to have a message that read something to the effect of, "Your children should behave or they should leave". It was much more diplomatic than that but got the point across wonderfully. Haven't been there in a while though... Casa Carbone Ristorante It's near the Peddler restaurant. Keep preaching man, I can't stand kids that don't know how to behave in public.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:46 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
We don't have kids yet but if/when we do, they will have no business going to a restaurant of all places or shopping malls.
I was going to stay out of this, but I'm curious.....you really think kids have no business going to restaurants or malls? Really? No kids at all?

Like I said, I totally get that sometimes people would like to enjoy a quiet evening and dinner without kids around. I have those nights too. No problem. But it really amazes me the attitudes that some of you have regarding kids in public. You're talking about them like they're second class citizens who have no rights and should be condemned to their homes for the first 10 years of their life. Should parents teach their children how to behave in public-absolutely. Does it happen-absolutely. For every screaming child you take notice of, I'm sure there are 5 more that you don't notice because they are so well behaved. I've been to many family restaurants, events, etc. and can honestly say that misbehaved kids with ignorant parents are NOT the norm. You just notice them more for obvious reasons. Don't judge all kids and parents negatively because of what you *think* you see. Take a good look around. I'm sure there are many families who just blend in and happily enjoy their time away from home.

For those of you who have acknowledged that you don't have kids yet, trust me, when you do, a time will come when your child throws the tantrum of all tantrums in the middle of a crowded place and there won't be a darn thing you can do about it aside from carrying them kicking and screaming all the way out the door. And when that time comes, hopefully you are surrounded by a group of people who are a lot more open minded and compassionate than the majority that seems to be posting here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary