Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:18 AM

15 posts, read 73,502 times

Advertisements

I live in Fuquay on the Harnett County side and currently my son is homeschooled. He wants to attend Fuquay Varina High School this year as he is in 9th grade. I was told that since we live in Harnett County, he would have to attend Harnett Central High School.

As I compared both schools on the NC School Report Cards website, Harnett Central grades were below the District and State averages. I am also concerned about the recent rise in gang markings on street signs. Driving around Angier had drawn some concerns as well.

My wife is considering homeschooling my son until we can afford to place him in a private school in Wake County if necessary.

What do you think we should do? Some advice would be helpful.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,860,757 times
You probably can't send him. But if your wife works for Wake schools, then you would have an option to send him. I'd call the district anyhow, just in case, but I highly doubt it.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:30 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,386 times
No, you can't (unless one of you works for Wake schools, at sandycat said). That is why people pay more to live where there are good schools! Otherwise, they'd pay less for a house, fewer taxes, and send them to the good schools anyway!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:33 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,981 times
I also doubt it...........the only way is if you or your spouse work for wake county schools, or if you have a residence in wake county. They may have special requests, but none that I have heard of......

What about a charter high school? It doesn't matter what county you are in to apply for a charter. The drawback is that busing is not available with most charters.

Here is the link to the charter schools in NC (you will have to search for the high schools within the list) I do know that the raleigh school is a charter high school.

WakeGOV.com - List of all Charter Schools

Leigh

Old 12-12-2008, 05:55 PM

535 posts, read 1,741,560 times
You could see if you could pay to have him admitted. I know that out here you can send kids to the city schools if you live in the same county (diff taxes) but you have to pay.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:04 PM

8 posts, read 35,560 times
Do you have family in the other county, that you could use their address?

Old 12-14-2008, 03:09 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
It is not a good idea to commit fraud against the Wake County school system.

happihousewife wrote: Do you have family in the other county, that you could use their address?

Old 12-14-2008, 04:29 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happihousewife View Post
Asking someone to commit fraud is never a good idea....and yes, they will be found out.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:18 PM

16 posts, read 53,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4j88 View Post
I live in Fuquay on the Harnett County side and currently my son is homeschooled. He wants to attend Fuquay Varina High School this year as he is in 9th grade. I was told that since we live in Harnett County, he would have to attend Harnett Central High School.

As I compared both schools on the NC School Report Cards website, Harnett Central grades were below the District and State averages. I am also concerned about the recent rise in gang markings on street signs. Driving around Angier had drawn some concerns as well.

My wife is considering homeschooling my son until we can afford to place him in a private school in Wake County if necessary.

What do you think we should do? Some advice would be helpful.

Thanks.
Do you have a homeschool group you can connect with? Maybe this will help until you decide what to do.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:19 PM

16 posts, read 53,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happihousewife View Post

This is done quite often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary