Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 06:43 PM

9 posts, read 20,514 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone-

My husband is working in Fuquay-Varina and we (son and I) are still in Virginia. We found an older brick ranch home (30 yrs old and 1600 sq ft) with 15 acres in Four Oaks. The house is a little dated but has been taken care of (will need appliance updates, kitchen and bathroom updates) but it has insulated windows and Heating/AC, ductwork and plumbing are fairly new. It has plenty of out buildings, acreage is mostly pasture and includes a pond. That pond is worth a whole lot since we have two draft horses and need to irrigate the pasture. I've heard that the drought won't be letting up anytime soon (old farmer told me that). What is land going for per acre in the area around South Johnston High (off 301)? Is Four Oaks Elementary a good school? How is Four Oaks compared to Dunn (Harnett County) our other choice? As stated, we are also looking at a home with 14 acres in Harnett County. It is less expensive than the brick ranch, but it is also a modular and that worries me. It has been customized and is beautiful but what will it look like in 10 years. It also has a large garage, pool and hot tub. I have family that attended Harnett County Schools and I hear only horror stories. I have also checked Great Schools.net and Harnett doesn't fair well. My son is in private school right now because the schools here are sooo bad. He is making excellent grades and reading on a 4th grade level (he is in 2nd grade). We wanted to put him in a public school system but don't want him to get bored and/or get lost in an over-crowded school system. Please update me on Harnett County (Dunn) VS Johnston County (Four Oaks). I'm really torn. Thank you so much and have a great night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,142 times
I grew up in Four Oaks and cannot think of a better place to be growing up. The people are warm and genuine. The schools are fine but there is also a private school in Smithfield, so you have options. The schools rank higher in Johnston than Harnett and that is probably due to being closer to Wake.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:17 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Its been over 2 years since this post. Hopefully the OP found a place on the norh side of Dunn closer to Angier//\\
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary