Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 PM

586 posts, read 1,546,034 times

Advertisements

We are debating a move to the Fuquay-Varina area which covers both Harnett and Wake Counties. My spouse works in downtown Raleigh and I work in Fayetteville so we are trying to find a good middle ground but am concerned about the schools. I understand Lafayette E.S. is highly rated but the associated middle and high schools ( Central Harnett) do not seem that great. If anyone is in a similar situation, could you share about what you decided and how it worked out. I would be most grateful to hear your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 08:49 PM

446 posts, read 1,393,976 times
Watch out for wake and their nutty year round situation. I think Harnett is traditional schedule.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:25 PM

345 posts, read 1,059,955 times
We're nuts...ours went to year round and we were quite happy with it. In fact, we applied for the opportunity to send our daughter to year round.

I don't know much about the Harnett Co. schools, as mine didn't go there. You might also want to look at Holly Springs. You can take back roads to 401 to have access to Fayetteville, and it's fairly easy to get to Raleigh from here. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:52 AM

450 posts, read 1,350,056 times
I do know some people with kids currently in Harnett schools, and LaFayette in particular, but only at the elementary level. I would choose Wake because of the resources available. Harnett is a smaller, poorer school system. When you start looking at high school course selection, etc, I think you'll see a lot more options in Wake.

That being said, though, I know several young adults who graduated from Harnett schools (mostly from Triton High in Dunn though - don't have any personal knowledge of Harnett Central) and have done just fine for themselves in college and life. As in all school discussions, I really believe it comes down to the environment at home and the emphasis or lack thereof on education as a priority.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:16 AM

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. My daughter is monitored by ESL but not receiving any services currently but I imagine it could change later so resources are a consideration. I had noticed that Holly Springs is close to the border and will have to check about the drive time. We are leaning toward Wake County but also trying to minimize the drive to Fayetteville. Sigh.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:42 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
I agree with FVMommy's post! And re: the issue of yr rd schools....my 7th grader has only known y/r and has loved it! When she's ready for a break, it time for 3 wks off. When she's getting bored and ready for school it's about time to go back. The tracks are 1-4, and run basically for 9wks in school, 3 wks out. Y/R and traditional are the same # of attendance days, just broken up vacation time.

I like track 2 as can take an early beach vacation usually before or at Memorial wknd.

Wake Co has more resources than Harnett but I've also know ppl who graduated from their and were fine in college and then in their career.

Good luck!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:08 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I don't know if you have considered Clayton (Johnston County Schools) but my brother in law works in Fayetteville and lives in Clayton (near Hwy 42).

Vicki

Old 07-16-2010, 09:41 AM

185 posts, read 472,784 times
My friend's son goes to Harnett Central High and she has done nothing but rave about how well the school is run and how attentive the teachers are....I wouldn't think twice about sending a child to this "smaller ..poorer school system"....

Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 AM

161 posts, read 109,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorista View Post
We are debating a move to the Fuquay-Varina area which covers both Harnett and Wake Counties. My spouse works in downtown Raleigh and I work in Fayetteville so we are trying to find a good middle ground but am concerned about the schools. I understand Lafayette E.S. is highly rated but the associated middle and high schools ( Central Harnett) do not seem that great. If anyone is in a similar situation, could you share about what you decided and how it worked out. I would be most grateful to hear your thoughts.
Some students in Fuquay are assigned to Cary schools. That is always good. You could look into Johnston county which has schools parents say they like. I would avoid Garner or south Raleigh, because you could get assigned to poor performing schools.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:40 AM

Default more info

We actually live in Johnston County and like our daughter's school. The main problem has been that the things that we enjoy doing seem to be located in Wake County ie. bike trails, lakes, going out to eat. I love our quiet location but the trade-off has been having to travel more than we like to considering our commutes already. I have appreciated your feedback and am particularly interested in hearing more about the Fuquay-Varina schools in Harnett and Wake County. Holly Springs might be a bit to far to commute to Fayetteville but if you know of a great short-cut, please share! Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary