Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:16 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Yes my kids are enjoying their first ever snow day as well. My DD made a snowman although in reality I told her it is really more like a "snow Barbie" because if its size LOL! None the less it is quite thrilling to all to have the snow. They are saying that Sunday looks much more threatening. Bring it on!!! It really is beautiful. I enjoy it whether my north east neighbors laugh at us or not
yes, at least if it snows more on sunday it won't cause as many accidents and closures as it did today. I say bring it on too..... we are way behind on winter this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 08:22 AM

251 posts, read 1,143,255 times
Quote:
It's not a joke that transfer well to this medium, especially since there are so many possible transplants who come here for information.

"Jokes", if that is indeed what it is, like this do nothing but feed into negative stero-types about moving to the South and Southerners in general. (The vast majority of which are not at all accurate, even if there is a grain of truth that started it.)
Desdemoonie, I'm serious. How about lunch together so you can share your concerns with me in person?

Official statement from Skipstone:

I've lived all over the U.S. from the Pacific to the far reaches of the north. I've friends everywhere all around the country. I love everyone and appreciate all the many differences as well as the beautiful strengths of people everywhere. In fact, I wrote a post on one thread where several newcomers to the area thanked me graciously for my encouraging words.

Desdemoonie has made it clear she has issues with me because I'm a Christian. She continues following my posts on this board. I apologize for having to address this in public but she keeps telling people I'm a bigot and since that is such a derogatory and false statement I feel I must counter.

If the board administrator reads this and can help, I'd be grateful. I've offered to meet with Desdemoonie for lunch in order to improve this and she never responds. So in my view this has become trolling.

So far Desdemoonie has mischaracterized me in around 10-15 posts within the past few days. If you are from out-of-town please ignore her comments about me as they are not true.

Sorry to have to address this and I apologize as I do not want to sidetrack this thread. Proceed!

Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,782,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
Desdemunde, I said it's a running joke and by the way, did you respond to my invitation to have lunch so we can become friends?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
It's not a joke that transfer well to this medium, especially since there are so many possible transplants who come here for information.
Desdemona, I'm from Los Angeles, CA and rest assured that I did not take the commentary seriously. However, it is true that there are many transplants who bring their aggressive behavior to the triangle as well as others who don't. As I've mentioned on other posts, it's the individual who decides to either be respectful of their surroundings, or not. I only hope those who have decided to come here from out of state are doing so because they are trying to get away, at least partially, from the negativity they were leaving. And truly, it's tough in this day of age to put a blanket statement on anything. All comments are taken with a grain of salt.

Speaking of blankets and salt, I woke up this morning for the first time at my primary residence to snow covering the yard, house, car and neighboring areas. And real snow flurries coming down! I felt like a school kid.

With long John's on and my big fluffy white robe and slippers, I walked out on the front porch and into the street with camera in hand to share with my West Coast buddies and family my first snow experience here. Of course, I was also concerned about driving my fiancee to work this morning, but the driving scare was far overrated even with the reports of all the accidents. Contrary to popular belief, in Los Angeles, we do have mountain areas within a half hour's drive that get plenty of snow during the winter. This morning was nothing compared to what we've experienced there. However, as I've said before, I'm sure this is just a taste of what potentially could come. I'd definitely feel more comfortable owning a generator considering the stories I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
I really love it when it snows here because if it's enough of a snowfall most everything closes down and you can enjoy being home all warm and cozy. I usually put on a little music and heat up some hot cider to make it especially nice for my family.
This is the best thought I've heard all this morning. A wonderfully positive take on this terrific day!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:34 AM

12 posts, read 299,756 times
I'm so excited to hear there might be more snow on Sunday!! I'm flying up there for the weekend from FL and haven't seen snow since 1986!! I haven't felt real low temperatures in a long time too (to me real low is in the 30's). Today's high will be 82 degrees here!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:46 AM

251 posts, read 1,143,255 times
GoingtoNC, I once lived in south Florida and I know how you feel I think.

EXCITED!!!!!!

I love Florida in so many ways, but when December came I got itchy feet wanting to feel some real cold and see leafless trees. I hope it snows so you can enjoy!

Old 01-18-2007, 11:00 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,346,393 times
Originally Posted by Skipstone
I really love it when it snows here because if it's enough of a snowfall most everything closes down and you can enjoy being home all warm and cozy. I usually put on a little music and heat up some hot cider to make it especially nice for my family.

CaliBoy: This is the best thought I've heard all this morning. A wonderfully positive take on this terrific day!

I am SO jealous! We're on a delay - I really tried to out-do myself with a snow dance. Unfortunately, it didn't work for us here in Iredell

Old 01-18-2007, 11:17 AM

306 posts, read 1,192,808 times
Default Attention, Attention, snow in Los Angeles...

YES it snowed in Los Angeles. In the hills(they call them the Santa Monica Mountains) behind Malibu yesterday there was snow. All along Kanan Road that go from Highway 101 to the Maiblu Beaches - there was snow!! And they had a light dusting of snow in Westwood and hail here and there around town. The news said it has not snowed in LA since 1962 - SO talk about accidents???? Los Angeles drivers only know how to drive in the snow if they are in the real mountains near the ski resorts. Otherwise WATCH OUT!!!!!! We I just thought I would share that with ya. Where I live - about 30 miles away - we didn't even get rain . I just know all the northerners laugh hysterically when they see this on the weater channel. Have A Safe, Fun, and Good day!

Old 01-18-2007, 11:29 AM

72 posts, read 212,761 times
Default CaliGirl here, yay!!! its snowing!!!

hey i just moved here last week from California, and it was 70 degrees all week!! then i wake up this morning to snow covered trees and cars! soooo beautiful!! I am loving this here, its just enough to get a taste of snow without being stuck in my house cause i dont own a shovel!! hehe. cant wait till sunday if its suppose to snow! I have an interview today... hope i get there ok i think my jeep will do ok!! and about all the jokes about out of towners i love it, im from california and i'll be the first to agree with the stereotype... that's why im not there anymore! and some of them i still carry, i'll probably be one of the dumb drivers in the snow i'll admit it! watch out for a black jeep cherokee but i'll be the one going 5 miles an hour

hope everyone is having a wonderful day... i sure am, this is great!!

Old 01-18-2007, 11:35 AM

607 posts, read 2,431,952 times
Thumbs up Good Luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalkitti View Post
hey i just moved here last week from California, and it was 70 degrees all week!! then i wake up this morning to snow covered trees and cars! soooo beautiful!! I am loving this here, its just enough to get a taste of snow without being stuck in my house cause i dont own a shovel!! hehe. cant wait till sunday if its suppose to snow! I have an interview today... hope i get there ok i think my jeep will do ok!! and about all the jokes about out of towners i love it, im from california and i'll be the first to agree with the stereotype... that's why im not there anymore! and some of them i still carry, i'll probably be one of the dumb drivers in the snow i'll admit it! watch out for a black jeep cherokee but i'll be the one going 5 miles an hour

hope everyone is having a wonderful day... i sure am, this is great!!
So Cal Kitti; Good luck on your job hunt. I hope they fall madly in love with you and give you a huge salary, and then you can spend the entire weekend holed up in your new home, knowing that you have a job to go to in a couple of weeks.
Enjoy the snow everyone. I am jealous.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:19 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,782,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChar View Post
YES it snowed in Los Angeles. In the hills(they call them the Santa Monica Mountains) behind Malibu yesterday there was snow. All along Kanan Road that go from Highway 101 to the Maiblu Beaches - there was snow!! And they had a light dusting of snow in Westwood and hail here and there around town. The news said it has not snowed in LA since 1962
No way! Imagine that. The Santa Monica Mountains is one of my hiking ground during the summer months, and the drive down Kanan Dune is awesome (among others up there). I heard it was cold out there (even Palm Springs' low was in their 20's), but never have I experienced any snow whatsoever while growing up (with exception to Big Bear, Wrightwood, etc). I'll definitely be calling up my friends who live in Westwood to confirm. Snow in L.A., surprising.

Nonetheless, today in the RDU area, it was especially beautiful waking up to a blanket of snow. It was only later after I arrived at a downtown meeting that I heard snow is not really all that common here. And here I was thinking I would save taking hi-res photos with my Nikon for another time when I was not dressed in my robe and forgoing such a site to capture the moment with just my cel phone. Oh, but the feeling I had running about outside in my slippers. The falling snow was especially amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalkitti View Post
hey i just moved here last week from California, and it was 70 degrees all week!! then i wake up this morning to snow covered trees and cars! soooo beautiful!! cant wait till sunday if its suppose to snow! I have an interview today... hope i get there ok i think my jeep will do ok!! hope everyone is having a wonderful day... i sure am, this is great!!
Yes, this day was a great day to get up early. As I look out my home office window, I still see reminders of this white wakeup call on the trees and shrubbery. Nothing like it was all blanketed and clean at 6:30 AM. Would it have not been great had we all woken up to this on Christmas Day?!

Though your Jeep will do just fine, SCK, I worried with regret that I left my truck parked in my driveway back in L.A. rather than bringing it here (instead of the sedan). However, driving around this morning in the sedan was a breeze. No slips. No probs. Although I did keep a fair distance between me from other cars, just in case. I'm not a fan of tailgating, anyway.

Good luck on the interview, SCK. Nothing like starting the day off on a positive note filled with amazement and wonder. And I do hope there will be MORE snow for Sunday. I had not heard, but such a report sounds terrific!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary