Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 06:47 PM

415 posts, read 1,110,452 times

Advertisements

What a beautiful weekend. I had bad news last week and really needed a relaxing and peaceful weekend. Well, I sure got it! I discovered some lovely things that you long-timers surely know about, but they were new to me.

A friend of mine invited me to go touring around the area on a motorcycle. I was really nervous about that, but he has been riding for 20+ years and this was not one of those crotch rockets - LOL! (it is an Italian bike - a Moto Guzzi, as if I know what that signifies!).

So after getting used to the feeling of being on the bike, I discovered why people love it so! Without the car around me I really noticed everything going by me.

What a beautiful place we live in!

We went to Lake Benson, which was lively with families and dog owners enjoying the beautiful weather. There are picnic shelters, playground equipment and trails for walking. You can rent boats and fishing gear to use on the lake from March through October. You have to reserve the picnic shelters, but there are lots of lovely, shady spots with picnic tables that are available for everyone.

Next we road up and down various country roads in Southwest Wake County and Northeast Harnett County. It was so nice to look at the variety of types of houses, the horse farms, the soybean fields and the changing leaves.

We also stopped at Yates Mill, toured the education center and enjoyed feeling the 250-year plus history of the mill. We passed by the NC State farms (I'm not sure exactly what it's called) and some other lakes as well.

Whether you have kids or want to do something with grown-up friends, there are so many places to go enjoy the beautiful scenery right in our own backyard. And none of what we did cost anything but the gas for the bike.

I know there is lots more like this just waiting for me to discover it. I haven't yet been to Umstead Park nor Duke Gardens. You're only bored here if you want to be, that's for sure!

I am feeling very Pollyanna about the Triangle right now.

Jenny_B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 08:45 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,510 times
I am so happy for you Jenny. When people are so positive, they can enjoy all the great things that make this area the land of milk & honey.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:00 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
That sounds like fun.

When living in Kansas City, we went to a free motorcycle test ride event at the airport and had a blast.

The event motto was "Put something exciting between your legs".

Old 11-03-2008, 06:33 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,606,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_B View Post
We also stopped at Yates Mill, toured the education center and enjoyed feeling the 250-year plus history of the mill. We passed by the NC State farms (I'm not sure exactly what it's called) and some other lakes as well.
My route to work took me up and down Lake Wheeler Road every day. I enjoy the rolling hills and cows going through the NCSU agriculture land, passing by the mill and waterfall at Yates Mill, and then finally passing by Lake Wheeler. I also take my son to the park and marina at Lake Wheeler once a week.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:01 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,950,071 times
sometimes we forget to enjoy a moment, just driving home on 540 Friday, I noticed the fall colors are amazing; I keep reminding myself to take in the beauty and enjoy it. It's hard with day to day life, work, bills, running around, etc....but when you do, the feeling is great. thanks for your post, it does remind us to take a moment, hour, day, etc. to enjoy our surroundings

Old 11-03-2008, 07:09 AM

932 posts, read 3,098,195 times
Yates Mill and Lake Benson are some of our favorite places!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM

528 posts, read 1,463,279 times
Quote:
What a beautiful weekend. I had bad news last week and really needed a relaxing and peaceful weekend. Well, I sure got it! I discovered some lovely things that you long-timers surely know about, but they were new to me.

A friend of mine invited me to go touring around the area on a motorcycle. I was really nervous about that, but he has been riding for 20+ years and this was not one of those crotch rockets - LOL! (it is an Italian bike - a Moto Guzzi, as if I know what that signifies!).

So after getting used to the feeling of being on the bike, I discovered why people love it so! Without the car around me I really noticed everything going by me.

What a beautiful place we live in!

We went to Lake Benson, which was lively with families and dog owners enjoying the beautiful weather. There are picnic shelters, playground equipment and trails for walking. You can rent boats and fishing gear to use on the lake from March through October. You have to reserve the picnic shelters, but there are lots of lovely, shady spots with picnic tables that are available for everyone.

Next we road up and down various country roads in Southwest Wake County and Northeast Harnett County. It was so nice to look at the variety of types of houses, the horse farms, the soybean fields and the changing leaves.

Whether you have kids or want to do something with grown-up friends, there are so many places to go enjoy the beautiful scenery right in our own backyard. And none of what we did cost anything but the gas for the bike.

I know there is lots more like this just waiting for me to discover it. I haven't yet been to Umstead Park nor Duke Gardens. You're only bored here if you want to be, that's for sure!

I am feeling very Pollyanna about the Triangle right now.

Jenny_B
Sounds like a great time! I am nervous about motorcycles too, but agree that the driver can make it a relaxing ride. I take it NC's had a nice string of weather as we have in MI. We're supposed to hit 70 degrees today and tomorrow. By Friday we're not even supposed to hit 50 degrees. brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, at least it's going to be a gorgeous day for election day!

Enjoy that NC weather everyone - this is a beautiful time of year in the south!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:20 PM

415 posts, read 1,110,452 times
Sadly, it's supposed to rain tomorrow for the election

The weekend was gorgeous, with fantastic temps (I guess in the 70s?).

And I know that the Triangle is not the only beautiful place in the U.S. but this is where I've chosen to live, so I want to wring all the goodness out of it that I can!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:25 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,510 times
Quote:
Sadly, it's supposed to rain tomorrow for the election

Yes, tomorrow is going to be are dreary, dim and downright depressing day. It may be a good day to stay buried underneath my blanket, hiding from the "elements".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary