Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:07 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,007,669 times

Advertisements

It's a little after 1 AM now and it appears that some of the counties in the southeastern part of the state are starting to get storm activity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 11:55 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,782,276 times
Okay, my first ice living here in RDU. Not looking forward to the morning commute, however, I doubt this is the last we'll see of this. I'm sure tomorrow morning is only a "taste" of things to come. Eh. Looks like I'm doubling my car distance from the one in front of me and staying mostly in the right hand lane (so I can have a shoulder to slide into rather than another car).

Btw, any driving tips anyone???

Old 01-18-2007, 12:18 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,007,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
Okay, my first ice living here in RDU. Not looking forward to the morning commute, however, I doubt this is the last we'll see of this. I'm sure tomorrow morning is only a "taste" of things to come. Eh. Looks like I'm doubling my car distance from the one in front of me and staying mostly in the right hand lane (so I can have a shoulder to slide into rather than another car).

Btw, any driving tips anyone???
About the only thing that helps on ice covered roads is studded tires, but they're scary after the ice is gone. Other than that, I'd park it and wait for better conditions. The folks up north even have sanctioned auto races on frozen lakes using studded tires, of course.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:46 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
well. we got a little less than an inch accumulation here in Apex.... Wake County schools are closed. My youngest son got to build his first snowman which is nice. Looks like the rest of the day it's supposed to be rain to freezing rain with some sleet mixed in possibly. It was pure snow coming down pretty hard early this morning around 6am though. And there's more snow in the forcast for Sunday.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:35 AM

251 posts, read 1,143,255 times
I really love it when it snows here because if it's enough of a snowfall most everything closes down and you can enjoy being home all warm and cozy. I usually put on a little music and heat up some hot cider to make it especially nice for my family.

Today's snow is pretty and I'm glad we didn't get ice. For those of you considering moving here you'll find a lot of accidents happen on the roads when it snows here. It really does not snow often and certainly it is seldom deep.

There's a running joke that the southerners all drive really slowly because they know the roads aren't plowed or sanded and the snow here is slick; the newcomers on the other hand (especially those coming from northern climates where snow is more common) drive fast not realizing the roads aren't plowed or salted like they are up north - and they end up in the ditch with southerners helping them out.

I said it's a running joke so don't get offended. It's just kinda funny to some southerners who get accused of being so slow. There are some benefits to it you see.

Why, this morning we only got a dusting of snow and yet the Highway Patrol was called to over 220 incidents involving vehicles off the road. Reports said that most of the drivers did not have southern accents.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:40 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,671,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
I really love it when it snows here because if it's enough of a snowfall most everything closes down and you can enjoy being home all warm and cozy. I usually put on a little music and heat up some hot cider to make it especially nice for my family.

Today's snow is pretty and I'm glad we didn't get ice. For those of you considering moving here you'll find a lot of accidents happen on the roads when it snows here. It really does not snow often and certainly it is seldom deep.

There's a running joke that the southerners all drive really slowly because they know the roads aren't plowed or sanded and the snow here is slick; the newcomers on the other hand (especially those coming from northern climates where snow is more common) drive fast not realizing the roads aren't plowed or salted like they are up north - and they end up in the ditch with southerners helping them out.

I said it's a running joke so don't get offended. It's just kinda funny to some southerners who get accused of being so slow. There are some benefits to it you see.

Why, this morning we only got a dusting of snow and yet the Highway Patrol was called to over 220 incidents involving vehicles off the road. Reports said that most of the drivers did not have southern accents.
I see more snow plows and salt trucks down then I ever did up north. Saw at least 5 on my route into work.

And just how did they report on the southern accents? Could it be that you are simply chooseing to, once again, be negative about the growth and newcomers to the area?

Old 01-18-2007, 07:53 AM

251 posts, read 1,143,255 times
Desdemunde, I said it's a running joke and by the way, did you respond to my invitation to have lunch so we can become friends?

Old 01-18-2007, 08:03 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,671,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
Desdemunde, I said it's a running joke and by the way, did you respond to my invitation to have lunch so we can become friends?
It's not a joke that transfer well to this medium, especially since there are so many possible transplants who come here for information.

"Jokes", if that is indeed what it is, like this do nothing but feed into negative stero-types about moving to the South and Southerners in general. (The vast majority of which are not at all accurate, even if there is a grain of truth that started it.)

Old 01-18-2007, 08:06 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,010,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
well. we got a little less than an inch accumulation here in Apex.... Wake County schools are closed. My youngest son got to build his first snowman which is nice. Looks like the rest of the day it's supposed to be rain to freezing rain with some sleet mixed in possibly. It was pure snow coming down pretty hard early this morning around 6am though. And there's more snow in the forcast for Sunday.
Yes my kids are enjoying their first ever snow day as well. My DD made a snowman although in reality I told her it is really more like a "snow Barbie" because if its size LOL! None the less it is quite thrilling to all to have the snow. They are saying that Sunday looks much more threatening. Bring it on!!! It really is beautiful. I enjoy it whether my north east neighbors laugh at us or not

Old 01-18-2007, 08:08 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,806 times
magicmk, thank you so much for telling me about the raleighskyline website. I had never seen that before and now I have a very cool new wallpaper on my computer and feel connected to my prospective new home town (3 yrs). I can hardly wait to get there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary