Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 11:02 AM

15 posts, read 21,191 times

Advertisements

In terms of the impact on home values. Does that typically effect the immediate communities around the business location OR will the potential home value increase extend to say a 15 min, 30 min or 45 min drive from the campus location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 11:03 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
FoxConn is Taiwanese

ETA - And yes I realize that there is a ton of complexity on the legal entity aspects of the discussion, but unless one takes the CCP's position (either by force or choice), Taiwan is a separate country.

Taiwan has its own government, own constitution, issues its own passports, its own currency, its own military, visitors from Mainland China need visas to enter, countries have separate trade deals with the two countries etc etc etc.
I realize that

Taiwan can say whatever it wants to, but China forces the international community to not recognize them.

Buddy of mine is over there working for a Taiwanese billionaire. They have a bug out place in the States. Folks are on edge. We don't think it will be an armed conflict, but similar to Hong Kong.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:19 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I realize that

Taiwan can say whatever it wants to, but China forces the international community to not recognize them.

Buddy of mine is over there working for a Taiwanese billionaire. They have a bug out place in the States. Folks are on edge. We don't think it will be an armed conflict, but similar to Hong Kong.

True, I wasn't trying to split hairs and realize the Mainland calls the shots in terms of recognition. Just that regardless of what the CCP says, there is 70 years of "separation" in this discussion.

Yes, China has been ramping up the "line stepping" since the start of the year. Good friends I lived in Indo with are devastated (they are originally from Taipei and are assuming the worst is soon to come)

Be that as it may, back to Apple. Bringing in 3000 roles "averaging 187K" should be a daisy on this housing market (187K is what, 3 times the median household income of Raleigh?).

Reminds me of this video I saw over the weekend

https://www.tiktok.com/@johnsonfiles...30617298291973

Old 04-26-2021, 11:32 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj07551 View Post
In terms of the impact on home values. Does that typically effect the immediate communities around the business location OR will the potential home value increase extend to say a 15 min, 30 min or 45 min drive from the campus location?
Think it depends on what Apple does when "normal" comes back.

There at 15% capacity in their Cupertino office now. However they were/are a huge "In Person Collaboration is key" company.

If they allow for a hybrid model (remote wise; which many tech companies are seemingly going for now) distance becomes less of a factor.

I could live 25,30,40+ mins from an office if I have to only go in when I want.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:34 AM

422 posts, read 461,894 times
Another billion dollars of construction in an already absolutely crazy industrial construction market. Think of all of the big ticket projects (say greater than 200M) from Sanford to Holly Springs to RTP between Life Sciences and Tech. Qualified construction workers in the industrial sector are already a scarcity, this will just continue to drive up labor rates. Good time to have that discussion about not every kid should be pushed into a 4 year school, to get a degree that may not have any value in the job sector. Lots of opportunities to make six figures in the industrial construction world, particularly with a little OT. It's a passion of mine, but it's a great time to go to a tech school and learn to weld!

Last edited by wake74; 04-26-2021 at 12:03 PM..

Old 04-26-2021, 11:35 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
True, I wasn't trying to split hairs and realize the Mainland calls the shots in terms of recognition. Just that regardless of what the CCP says, there is 70 years of "separation" in this discussion.

Yes, China has been ramping up the "line stepping" since the start of the year. Good friends I lived in Indo with are devastated (they are originally from Taipei and are assuming the worst is soon to come)

Be that as it may, back to Apple. Bringing in 3000 roles "averaging 187K" should be a daisy on this housing market (187K is what, 3 times the median household income of Raleigh?).

Reminds me of this video I saw over the weekend

https://www.tiktok.com/@johnsonfiles...30617298291973
What's interesting is if you follow the trend line, prices now are just about where they would be had the dip not happened (I believe the term for this is something like "reversion to the mean"). Maybe a little above the norm, but not much. Probably due to interest rates making pricing more affordable on a monthly basis.

Good for those who own...those who do not? Ouch.
Attached Thumbnails
Apple Campus in RTP area?-us-house-prices-rents.gif  

Old 04-26-2021, 12:00 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,725,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
They also own the chunk on the other side of 540.
Oh geeze you're right, missed that. Lotta land.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:25 PM

151 posts, read 195,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
The news is exciting yes, but to downplay the great companies already in RTP as illegitimate is kind of shallow.

Chill out man, I work for one of these "other" great companies. It's not a mark on them but these are the original companies and we now have new additions.

If the these new companies already existed, and the existing companies just arrived I would be cheering them on as well. No need for such insecurity!

Old 04-26-2021, 12:50 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,725,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_cakes View Post
Chill out man, I work for one of these "other" great companies. It's not a mark on them but these are the original companies and we now have new additions.

If the these new companies already existed, and the existing companies just arrived I would be cheering them on as well. No need for such insecurity!
Chill out man, you need to work on your phrasing and forum etiquette. No need for the personal attacks or for such insecurity! Take your own advice.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:32 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Congrats everyone, y'all just won the lottery with your house values doubling if not tripling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary