Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 09:32 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,185,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Not sure who felt the need to make what I think was an attempted snarky remark response to this comment of mine...but thanks for the rep points I guess?
This is crazy. Some people will leave bizarre and mean spirited comments through the reputation function because it can be done anonymously. I've had it happen several times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 10:09 PM

781 posts, read 749,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Once those Apple, Google, and all of the other very high paying jobs materialize, look for the per capita income for this area to be through the roof. Raleigh/Wake County already has the highest per capita in the state, but it will be off the charts in a few years. Watch for many more economic benefits to be reaped over the coming years.
After living in Silicon Valley, I have to agree with this. I say we are on the way to becoming the next Austin tech-wise. After the Google announcement, I started looking at Austin prices. Looked like average home goes for $500k there.

These are top tier tech companies that are coming to town and bringing in some very hefty paychecks. I *knew* another top tier company was going to come after GOOG, but I figured it would take a few more years to see news like this.

On one hand I am absolutely stoked because I have a significant other in tech and a rental to sell, but I probably won’t upgrade my primary home as planned. I can afford to but I’m cheap AF/FIRE, I’d rather invest the $ and keep a low housing payment. I will practice gratitude for what I have and that I arrived before these announcements.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:12 PM

879 posts, read 1,033,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
Another billion dollars of construction in an already absolutely crazy industrial construction market. Think of all of the big ticket projects (say greater than 200M) from Sanford to Holly Springs to RTP between Life Sciences and Tech. Qualified construction workers in the industrial sector are already a scarcity, this will just continue to drive up labor rates. Good time to have that discussion about not every kid should be pushed into a 4 year school, to get a degree that may not have any value in the job sector. Lots of opportunities to make six figures in the industrial construction world, particularly with a little OT. It's a passion of mine, but it's a great time to go to a tech school and learn to weld!
Very well put. If I had any children in this area right now, I'd definitely encourage them to seek a degree useful in construction from Durham Tech or Wake Tech and get a productive moneymaking career out of it. Calling this deal with Apple a game changer to the area seems to be underselling it in my mind. It's going to transform the Triangle in ways I'd never had imagined in my lifetime, and the possibilities are endless. To me, this is the equivalent of what happened to Orlando when Disney opened near the municipality 50 years ago. It's that impactful.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:13 PM

781 posts, read 749,008 times
Quote:
This is crazy. Some people will leave bizarre and mean spirited comments through the reputation function because it can be done anonymously. I've had it happen several times.
Yeah, I had this the other day. Someone dissed me for not being in the keeping up with the Joneses crowd. Oh well.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:15 AM

43,549 posts, read 77,623,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Mike, you, TarHeelNick, and all the realtors in the Triangle, will be printing money like there's no tomorrow with those new, crazy huge commissions, you won't know what to do with it all!

Billionaire club in no time.

Maybe you'll own the Hurricanes one day!

Oh, wellllll....
I think it will not introduce any more balance into the exhausting sellers market we currently "enjoy."
Add speculation buyers to the West Cary and Leesville areas.

I'd like to be a Billionaire Club member, but Ben Franklins spilling out of my car every time Jeeves opens my door would be embarrassing.
Go Canes!!!!

Old 04-27-2021, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
We've talked before. I came from the same area as you. I listened to a talk show from Scranton today and the host said there were help wanted signs everywhere - all the fast food restaurants. I know there may be here too but that was the big topic of discussion today because people want to stay on unemployment because they make more money doing that than working one of those jobs. Between those jobs and warehouse/distribution center/call center jobs, there isn't a lot for the area of Northeast PA to offer. That's why I moved here. I do miss the family I have left and the house and the land I grew up on (2 plus acres in a rural area) but I don't miss struggling or just getting by and a lot of people are and have 2 to 3 jobs. The census figures also came out today and Pennsylvania lost a seat in Congress and North Carolina gained one. No big surprise there. I am glad to be living in vibrant and growing area.
Sounds familiar.
We are talking about going up for a visit this summer, but rural PA is setting themselves up for a COVID disaster.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
Yeah, I had this the other day. Someone dissed me for not being in the keeping up with the Joneses crowd. Oh well.
Such behavior is a clear TOS violation.
Reporting the fools to RedZin is a good way to cull the herd, weed the garden, whatever.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:23 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,081,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Very well put. If I had any children in this area right now, I'd definitely encourage them to seek a degree useful in construction from Durham Tech or Wake Tech and get a productive moneymaking career out of it. Calling this deal with Apple a game changer to the area seems to be underselling it in my mind. It's going to transform the Triangle in ways I'd never had imagined in my lifetime, and the possibilities are endless. To me, this is the equivalent of what happened to Orlando when Disney opened near the municipality 50 years ago. It's that impactful.
Couldn’t agree more. This a big deal. I have friends in STL, Chicago, Indy, Charlotte, Atlanta, and this announcement (along with the Google one earlier) has made people take notice that maybe something is happening in the Triangle. As the saying goes, “a rising tide lifts all boats”. Not only will this increase property values, it might help add more flight destinations at RDU, attract more tech companies, increase the partnerships with local universities. It’s exciting news.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:32 AM

4,332 posts, read 6,031,628 times
Yeah, how about an RDU-SJC nonstop? Southwest’s route lasted just a couple of months several years ago and never came back. But I’d settle for more SFO service.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:48 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,185,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Such behavior is a clear TOS violation.
Reporting the fools to RedZin is a good way to cull the herd, weed the garden, whatever.
Problem is we don't know who the violator(s) are. When they leave a reputation comment, it's anonymous. Maybe the moderators have a way of tracing this on the backend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary