Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2021, 06:51 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,167,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Couldn’t agree more. This a big deal. I have friends in STL, Chicago, Indy, Charlotte, Atlanta, and this announcement (along with the Google one earlier) has made people take notice that maybe something is happening in the Triangle. As the saying goes, “a rising tide lifts all boats”. Not only will this increase property values, it might help add more flight destinations at RDU, attract more tech companies, increase the partnerships with local universities. It’s exciting news.
Almost assured to happen at this point. Both Google and Apple in the same area? Any tech company in the know will want a chance to tap into that talent pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 06:55 AM

43,327 posts, read 77,188,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Problem is we don't knwo who the violator(s) are. When they leave a reputation comment, it's anonymous. Maybe the moderators have a way of tracing this on the backend.
Yes, they sure do.
It is a Mod functionality to do so.

It is a common topic in the "Administrative Forum," and the mods are glad to step in.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/about-forum/

It's one thing to have a healthy public debate, and entirely another thing to privately abuse or attempt to intimidate.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:01 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,061,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Couldn’t agree more. This a big deal. I have friends in STL, Chicago, Indy, Charlotte, Atlanta, and this announcement (along with the Google one earlier) has made people take notice that maybe something is happening in the Triangle. As the saying goes, “a rising tide lifts all boats”. Not only will this increase property values, it might help add more flight destinations at RDU, attract more tech companies, increase the partnerships with local universities. It’s exciting news.
Agree with all of this, especially the bolded. This area seemed to be in what I would call the "Tier 3" Tech hubs in the US when we moved here in 2017; SV is it's own animal and I would put NYC, Boston (Cambridge and the ID especially), Austin, Atlanta and the DTC in tier 2. This is great news for the continued growth of the area and assuming local and state leaders can strike the right chords, could be a watershed moment in the Triangle's story; much like I imagine IBM and RTP "put it on the map" 60 years ago. Exciting times.

My buddies and I were talking about this yesterday and one threw out the following stats from the article he read on it.

"Apple's investment in the state will also include $100M targeting programs at schools and community colleges in the Triangle and state more broadly"

"Another $110M will target infrastructure spending from broadband to schools across 80 North Carolina counties"

Last edited by GVoR; 04-27-2021 at 07:18 AM..

Old 04-27-2021, 12:05 PM

495 posts, read 1,078,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I would put NYC, Boston (Cambridge and the ID especially), Austin, Atlanta and the DTC in tier 2.
Not sure Boston belongs on this list (the 128 corridor hasn't had cutting edge relevance in 15+ years) nor Atlanta.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:10 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,981,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Not sure Boston belongs on this list (the 128 corridor hasn't had cutting edge relevance in 15+ years) nor Atlanta.
it's just head canon

Old 04-27-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I didn't mention 128 for a specific reason. Read up on the Innovation District in South Boston (believe 200 companies have moved there since 2010). Literally the first ID in the US. (FWIW, KPMG ranked Boston #2 for Tech cities in the US and #9 in the world.....but yes doesn't belong in the list)

And the BioTech in Cambridge, specifically Kendall Sq, speaks for itself....not to mention Google, MS, Novartis and Biogen all have big offices right in Kendall.

ETA - I'll grant the stretch on ATL...but included it because its the SE hub for a lot of big players in the IT Consulting Space (Accenture, EY, Deloitte)

Last edited by GVoR; 04-27-2021 at 12:31 PM..

Old 04-27-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
it's just head canon

Old 04-27-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I didn't mention 128 for a specific reason. Read up on the Innovation District in South Boston (believe 200 companies have moved there since 2010). Literally the first ID in the US. (FWIW, KPMG ranked Boston #2 for Tech cities in the US and #9 in the world.....but yes doesn't belong in the list)

And the BioTech in Cambridge, specifically Kendall Sq, speaks for itself....not to mention Google, MS, Novartis and Biogen all have big offices right in Kendall.

ETA - I'll grant the stretch on ATL...but included it because its the SE hub for a lot of big players in the IT Consulting Space (Accenture, EY, Deloitte)
What you describe makes it tier 3. As far as from what SV itself regards as its closest peers (based on being part of SV for 20 years prior to moving here), it's Austin, San Diego, Seattle and Denver. Maybe NYC and DC (gov't tech. contracts) for East Coast. Boston isn't on the radar.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
What you describe makes it tier 3. As far as from what SV itself regards as its closest peers (based on being part of SV for 20 years prior to moving here), it's Austin, San Diego, Seattle and Denver. Maybe NYC and DC (gov't tech. contracts) for East Coast. Boston isn't on the radar.

So we're now using "What Silicon Valley regards as peers" as the goalpost?...Its like asking the Yankees if they consider the Mets rivals. "nahhhh kiiiiiiiiid, we've got 28 titles....they got what? Two?"

Cool bruh. Far too subjective for me. But if that cuts your jib, have at it hoss. I'll stick with basically every industry report on the subject that puts Boston squarely in the top 2-6, which from my seat is certainly Tier 2 (behind SV and Austin which would be 1A and 1Z). You can stick with your "I was there" feels.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
So we're now using "What Silicon Valley regards as peers" as the goalpost?...Its like asking the Yankees if they consider the Mets rivals. "nahhhh kiiiiiiiiid, we've got 28 titles....they got what? Two?"

Cool bruh. Far too subjective for me. But if that cuts your jib, have at it hoss. I'll stick with basically every industry report on the subject that puts Boston squarely in the top 2-6, which from my seat is certainly Tier 2 (behind SV and Austin which would be 1A and 1Z). You can stick with your "I was there" feels.
I'd trust what folks in the industry think as we're the ones doing deals and competing against peers in real time. Those "top x" ranking lists done by advisory groups are generally conservative in their assessments and behind the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary