Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2021, 03:19 PM

4,624 posts, read 3,821,036 times

Advertisements

I guess Apple is huge news here:

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...U8eK4qF9gn2KgA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 03:39 PM

3,732 posts, read 2,070,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
I'd trust what folks in the industry think as we're the ones doing deals and competing against peers in real time. Those "top x" ranking lists done by advisory groups are generally conservative in their assessments and behind the times.

Industry folks? Well of course if you do industry to industry comps this wouldn't make sense - someone in computers or hardware in SV (say Apple or NVIDIA) wouldn't view Boston as a peer....because there are no computer/chip manufacturers there. Seattle would be the peer.

Anyway, this back in forth made my top 2 funniest moments on C-D right behind the guy that came here years ago arguing Worcester MA was nicer than Raleigh (Worcester is basically a northern version of Henderson). And for that, I thank you.

Cheers.

Now back to the Triangle Apple news

Old 04-27-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
If my agent/broker in a location ever said to me "Call up your agent and put an offer in now before you even see it," I would immediately either decide to live somewhere else or accept that renting was my best bet.

That isn't to say it isn't reasonable advice in the current situation....just not sure I would dive into the biggest investment I will make in my life before I have even seen it.

Cray Cray.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:04 PM

43,462 posts, read 77,442,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
If my agent/broker in a location ever said to me "Call up your agent and put an offer in now before you even see it," I would immediately either decide to live somewhere else or accept that renting was my best bet.

That isn't to say it isn't reasonable advice in the current situation....just not sure I would dive into the biggest investment I will make in my life before I have even seen it.

Cray Cray.
Agents don't really advise this unless you went out of your way to pick a real chump for some reason. Agents follow client instructions.
Like a lot of fads, the requests come from clientele.

Listing agents are qualifying: "Your buyer hasn't seen the property, right?" And, they are careful regarding engaging with the buyer and agent.

"Cray Cray?" Of course, without a doubt.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Agents don't really advise this unless you went out of your way to pick a real chump for some reason. Agents follow client instructions.
Like a lot of fads, the requests come from clientele.

Listing agents are qualifying: "Your buyer hasn't seen the property, right?" And, they are careful regarding engaging with the buyer and agent.

"Cray Cray?" Of course, without a doubt.
Like this guy? (Language warning for those who avoid such things)

Old 04-27-2021, 04:38 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,497,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Agree with all of this, especially the bolded. This area seemed to be in what I would call the "Tier 3" Tech hubs in the US when we moved here in 2017; SV is it's own animal and I would put NYC, Boston (Cambridge and the ID especially), Austin, Atlanta and the DTC in tier 2. This is great news for the continued growth of the area and assuming local and state leaders can strike the right chords, could be a watershed moment in the Triangle's story; much like I imagine IBM and RTP "put it on the map" 60 years ago. Exciting times.

My buddies and I were talking about this yesterday and one threw out the following stats from the article he read on it.

"Apple's investment in the state will also include $100M targeting programs at schools and community colleges in the Triangle and state more broadly"

"Another $110M will target infrastructure spending from broadband to schools across 80 North Carolina counties"
NoVA has to be Tier 2

Old 04-27-2021, 04:46 PM

22,728 posts, read 36,954,536 times
I've seen a lot of people on my nextdoor feed saying "I've been planning to rent for a while but now I must buy". I can hardly wait to see what this does to housing prices. So much for moving here to give my kids a better chance at being able to buy an affordable house!

Old 04-27-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
NoVA has to be Tier 2

Sure. I wasn't presenting it as an all encompassing, be all, end all, list. I'm sure I left off a handful of places. The gist of my point was Apple coming here raises the Triangle; which was already raising and while tops in terms of "Growing Tech Hubs" was certainly below the big boys and girls - and to be clear, this isn't a knock on the Triangle.

My current employer (until Friday); one of the big four IT Consulting Companies had multiple floors in the biggest building in Boston. They have two permanent employees in their office in Raleigh.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:09 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,353,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I've seen a lot of people on my nextdoor feed saying "I've been planning to rent for a while but now I must buy". I can hardly wait to see what this does to housing prices. So much for moving here to give my kids a better chance at being able to buy an affordable house!
On the plus side, it is still not as expensive as LI.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:51 PM

22,728 posts, read 36,954,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
On the plus side, it is still not as expensive as LI.
Yes you still get more house for the same money and the taxes are nowhere near as insane. $18K for my old 1800 square foot house. No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary