Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 02:24 PM

36 posts, read 48,179 times

Advertisements

I have been researching Wake county for some time now since my family and I will be moving next month . The overall sense I get is that aside from the crowding issues and some budgeting issues Wake county school system is pretty good . However , I read recently that FV had the most schools with the lowest averaging schools in the county . I have been there at least 5 time and spent alot of time in town while trying to find a house and I dont understand what the issues are in the town . I know it is diverse economically but I didnt think it was anymore or any less then any other town in Wake . My son is starting middle school next year and I have a rising second grader with an IEP - based on our home address they would be assigned to FV elementary unless we go yr then they would go to WL but looking at the feedback i am a little concerned, im actually considering waiving the traditional calendar so that they may go to WL ( if possible) - What is going on in FV that Cary ,Apex,HS or Garner other ect all the other suburban towns are not experiencing ?

Any FV parents or residents familiar with what exactly or have theory on what is contributing to the issues with FV schools when compared to other towns in wake with comparable a population ?? it just seems like such a nice , progressing town and im not making the connection ? thank you all for your input!!

Old 10-03-2014, 03:46 PM

168 posts, read 350,498 times
I don't have any personal experience but my hair stylist lives in FV. She has moved all of her children to magnet schools. Her eldest went to FV schools and was not satisfied with her experience. There is inequity within the county and she did not feel like the schools were of the same caliber as other schools in the county.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,184,969 times
All NC schools are in trouble with many long term teachers bailing out.

Think hard if you need reliable public schools.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:13 PM

22,686 posts, read 36,861,192 times
In any area, the further you go from employment/educational centers, the "worse" the schools will be. The most educated people in the Triangle probably live closest to jobs requiring the highest education, such as at the universities and RTP. You're talking about an area that was "country" till just a few years ago and the schools will reflect that.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:14 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,716,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
All NC schools are in trouble with many long term teachers bailing out.

Think hard if you need reliable public schools.
And your kids are in what grade? NC schools are facing issues because of current politics....but we still have plenty of fine schools around.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:19 PM

36 posts, read 48,179 times
That's a very good point! The face of fv is changing as I personally know of many transplants with higher level of education moving out there due to "over built" feel of RtP areas . So in theory this can very well change as the area develops ,thanks for that view point

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
In any area, the further you go from employment/educational centers, the "worse" the schools will be. The most educated people in the Triangle probably live closest to jobs requiring the highest education, such as at the universities and RTP. You're talking about an area that was "country" till just a few years ago and the schools will reflect that.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:46 PM

109 posts, read 478,061 times
I'm from NJ. I'm interviewing for a job in NC in 10 days. I'm confused by the school systems down there. I've done a lot of research, there seems to be a lottery system, once your in, your golden. What if we move in December how do I know if I want to rent a house if I don't know what school they will be in.
Please chime in and offer your input, we only have 3 days to find a rental in a great school district. I have a 6th with learning disabilities and a 3 rd grader.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:00 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,716,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsangia View Post
I'm from NJ. I'm interviewing for a job in NC in 10 days. I'm confused by the school systems down there. I've done a lot of research, there seems to be a lottery system, once your in, your golden. What if we move in December how do I know if I want to rent a house if I don't know what school they will be in.
Please chime in and offer your input, we only have 3 days to find a rental in a great school district. I have a 6th with learning disabilities and a 3 rd grader.
Districts are county wide...not like you are used to....it's not a lottery...except for magnet and some charter schools. You will know what school your kids go to based on the address of the house you rent. Even if a school is capped in wake county...you will still know what the overflow school is. It's not hard...just different.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:15 PM

13,378 posts, read 27,097,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsangia View Post
I'm confused by the school systems down there. I've done a lot of research, there seems to be a lottery system, once your in, your golden. What if we move in December how do I know if I want to rent a house if I don't know what school they will be in.
It is not a lottery. Your address will have a base school zone (either year-round calendar or traditional calendar) and another option for the other calendar. There are also assigned alternate schools in the few cases where enrollment in the base school is capped. Here's a good recent discussion: https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ngle-area.html

Old 10-04-2014, 01:59 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,184,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
And your kids are in what grade? NC schools are facing issues because of current politics....but we still have plenty of fine schools around.
Mine were lucky enough to graduate over 10 years ago with great educations.

The bribing of businesses and the touting of magazines brought uncontrolled growth. Schools are only one problem this stupidity and greed created.

We loved NC 26 years ago when we came from New Orleans. Raleigh was a nice middle class city.

After the yuppie influx, it became costly to rent here and the rudeness on the roads can ruin many a day. Not much hope for rail because the legislators only think of the cost. The farebox doesn't normally cover expenses, but savings appear in other budget areas such as roads.

Controlled growth with infrastructure in synch is good. What's happening here now is a crime, ruining such a nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary