Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 12:06 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,248,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
In any area, the further you go from employment/educational centers, the "worse" the schools will be. The most educated people in the Triangle probably live closest to jobs requiring the highest education, such as at the universities and RTP. You're talking about an area that was "country" till just a few years ago and the schools will reflect that.
spot on.

this is probably what Holly Springs schools looked like the day Devils Ridge opened.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:40 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,308,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokaspeight View Post
I can only speak for whom I encountered there and the research I did and what I've heard from "locals" . I was not assuming it will be a more "intelligent" town but it may influence the importance parents put into the education of their children which in turns translate into parent involvement ect. and of course performance of schools . I think we can all understand how the education level of parents often (not always) affects schools and performance over the quality of teachers even . We know this to be true in cH/ carborro district which statistically has the highest percentage of highly educated parents and strongest performing schools . All the other towns as well reflects similar qualities and effect have schools that reflect it . I didnt mean to offend but all this info is available on this site .Fv has the lowest performing schools in Wake and FV has a lower percentage of ppl with education over certain point in comparison to other comparable towns in Wake . I wasn't saying only transplants can bring that to FV but rather anyone can bring that -most of whom I met are transplants and most of the ppl I've interacted with / observed are transplants , that's my experience.
Let me put it another way.

Homes are less expensive in FV.

FV is farther from the core of the Triangle than the areas you mentioned that have higher performing schools.

What we can extrapolate from this info is:

People who make less money (be it due to lower levels of education, choice of career, or both) are more likely to relocate to FV (unless their jobs happen to be out there or something). Doesn't apply to everyone. Some people like living in more rural areas. But, generally speaking, a transplant who is educated and well paid is more apt to target areas with more people like them AND higher performing schools. Because they can afford it.

Therefore, the odds are against a higher percentage of transplants with higher levels of education moving to places like FV instead of Cary, Apex, Wake Forest, North Raleigh, etc.

Is this universally true? No.

But, logic tells us that you are more likely to have MDs and PhDs for neighbors in Cary than you are in FV. Native OR transplant.

Doesn't mean there aren't any bright, intelligent natives of FV or that there aren't any bright, intelligent people transplanting to FV.

I just wouldn't go there thinking that once enough new people move there, the overall population will resemble a think tank.

As others have said, once FV becomes a more desirable area IN GENERAL (like, say, a highway comes that makes trips to key locations much faster)... THEN the schools in FV will start to have rankings similar to the schools in more popular areas of the Triangle.

Last edited by RedZin; 10-05-2014 at 08:45 AM..

Old 10-04-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
spot on.

this is probably what Holly Springs schools looked like the day Devils Ridge opened.
Likely.

And HS took off for 2 reasons:

Widening of 55 made trips to RTP less painful;

Then...540 opening made trips to RTP much faster.

Prior to these things happening, HS was a very inexpensive town.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:23 PM

36 posts, read 48,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
spot on.

Hmm good point

Old 10-04-2014, 02:37 PM

Again , I'm sure anyone , transplant or not can have an impact - well educated to me wouldn't equate PhDs or MDs only - in fv specifically ,the percentage of post HS is on the low side still , but like most have mentioned it will appeal to others as well as it becomes a more viable. And affordable option for those with bachelors and masters . Still the development of highways on table can make all the difference for "newcomers" transplant or not .

You are right some ppl choose rural setting for their own reasons - my husband and I both have advanced degrees but felt we wanted something different then wha seemed to be all the "rage" in the area . I just made an observation and wanted input on that-lots of good points being made

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Let me put it another way.

Homes are less expensive in FV.

FV is farther from the core of the Triangle than the areas you mentioned that have higher performing schools.

What we can extrapolate from this info is:

People who make less money (be it due to lower levels of education, choice of career, or both) are more likely to relocate to FV (unless their jobs happen to be out there or something). Doesn't apply to everyone. Some people like living in more rural areas. But, generally speaking, a transplant who is educated and well paid is more apt to target areas with more people like them AND higher performing schools. Because they can afford it.

Therefore, the odds are against higher percentage of transplants with higher levels of education moving to places like FV instead of Cary, Apex, Wake Forest, North Raleigh, etc.

Is this universally true? No.

But, logic tells us that you are more likely to have MDs and PhDs for neighbors in Cary than you are in FV. Native OR transplant.

Doesn't mean there aren't any bright, intelligent natives of FV or that there aren't any bright, intelligent people transplanting to FV.

I just wouldn't go there thinking that once enough new people move there, the overall population will resemble a think tank.

As others have said, once FV becomes a more desirable area IN GENERAL (like, say, a highway comes that makes trips to key locations much faster)... THEN the schools in FV will start to have rankings similar to the schools in more popular areas of the Triangle.

Last edited by RedZin; 10-05-2014 at 08:46 AM..

Old 10-04-2014, 03:00 PM

22,686 posts, read 36,861,192 times
Let's just simplify this and put it in terms a New Jerseyian (New Jerseyite?) can relate to:

There's a reason you probably find a lot more Wall Streeters et al in Montclair, Glen Rock, and Wyckoff than you do in Wildwood, Cherry Hill or Brick Township.

No matter what, people who have high paying city jobs are not going to be flocking to make a 2+ hour commute. People who can and do work in local jobs will, and those jobs are most likely going to require less education than city jobs. Doesn't mean the people there are dumber, but that one factor is not ever going to change.

I was down in FV today. It is a hike, even though we took 540 as far as we could. It's that simple, you can't change the mileage.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:38 PM

Yes I know I've read endless threads on how 30 minutes anywhere is a hike in nc apparently -

I appreciate you trying to infuse your "knowledge" of the jersey map but montclaire is at the northern end along with of Nj ( I lived there for 12 years) and cherry hill township is about 2hours from there ( I'm 20 min out now) and is a suburb of south jersey ( central) Brick is closer to the shore about 2 hours east/south of the other 2 towns . I'm asking about towns in the same county less the 15 min to an hour (in traffic) apart - the comparison you offered would be relevant if I was comparing. Charlotte ,Wilmington and Fv (approximately 2hours each way or more)which i clearly am not . Relevant comparison is what this " Jerseyan " understands

I don't get it why must everything be north vs south on this forum it's laughable - the civil wars is over !! Thank goodness the ppl I've met and know in real life from Nc ( Native and transplant) are nothing like what's represented on this forum geez Louise!!! For ppl who always seem to have a problem with attitude and rudeness from others , you sure dish out a healthy serving yourselves ( some not all)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Let's just simplify this and put it in terms a New Jerseyian (New Jerseyite?) can relate to:

There's a reason you probably find a lot more Wall Streeters et al in Montclair, Glen Rock, and Wyckoff than you do in Wildwood, Cherry Hill or Brick Township.

No matter what, people who have high paying city jobs are not going to be flocking to make a 2+ hour commute. People who can and do work in local jobs will, and those jobs are most likely going to require less education than city jobs. Doesn't mean the people there are dumber, but that one factor is not ever going to change.

I was down in FV today. It is a hike, even though we took 540 as far as we could. It's that simple, you can't change the mileage.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:50 PM

22,686 posts, read 36,861,192 times
Well, you got my point, but not really. I really was trying to give you an idea of what you're getting into. But time and again we see on these forums people who are told something they don't want to hear, and then a month after they get here they are bitching about the very thing they were warned about. Trust me when I tell you I could not care less where you move. FV isn't for me, but it may very well be for you and that's great. Just don't come here and then complain about how far it is from everything, or the people aren't what you expected, or your commute 2 years from now is twice as long as it was because it's getting so!built!up!here!

And what you will learn once you're here is that no one cares that your 45 minute commute is nothing! Because you commuted for hours on end in NJ! And forget it if it rained! Because your neighbors will all have 15 minutes commutes and you'll be wondering why you traded one crap commute for another and why everything here starts so early in the evening and why your kid is the last one at aftercare at 5:30. But whatev - you know better from your seat in NJ.

By the way I'm from Long Island. Not the south. Not even the south shore.

Quote:
Yes I know I've read endless threads on how 30 minutes anywhere is a hike in nc apparently -

I appreciate you trying to infuse your "knowledge" of the jersey map but montclaire is at the northern end along with of Nj ( I lived there for 12 years) and cherry hill township is about 2hours from there ( I'm 20 min out now) and is a suburb of south jersey ( central) Brick is closer to the shore about 2 hours east/south of the other 2 towns . I'm asking about towns in the same county less the 15 min to an hour (in traffic) apart - the comparison you offered would be relevant if I was comparing. Charlotte ,Wilmington and Fv (approximately 2hours each way or more)which i clearly am not . Relevant comparison is what this " Jerseyan " understands

I don't get it why must everything be north vs south on this forum it's laughable - the civil wars is over !! Thank goodness the ppl I've met and know in real life from Nc ( Native and transplant) are nothing like what's represented on this forum geez Louise!!! For ppl who always seem to have a problem with attitude and rudeness from others , you sure dish out a healthy serving yourselves ( some not all)

Old 10-04-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:

You don't really think anyone ever thinks of the Civil War when they post on here, do you?

Most people are concerned with the here and now. Dragging comments in about the Civil War is a big, red herring. Has exactly nothing to do with anything here, really. NC was quite progressive, even in the mid-late 1800s. This is geographically a Southern state, but it has always been something of a technicality around here. Is more of an issue further south, to be sure. Still, one would require more than a layperson's knowledge of US history to grasp the complexities of the issue.

It's a bit irrelevant, as your comment was largely directed at a Long Islander, anyway. I believe that's a bit northeast of the Dirty Jerze, but I was raised here in NC and you know how us dumb southerners frown on book learnin.'

Old 10-05-2014, 07:37 AM

297 posts, read 741,325 times
Can't we all just get along?! The OP's main question has been sufficiently addressed. What's wrong with WF schools? They are in a transitional rural-suburban area. Move there and you could be part of the vanguard - the shape of things to come for FV. Wait five years and see if the question needs to be asked.

As for the rest of the north-south talk coming into this thread - can we just drop it? We're post-North/South in the Triangle area. C-D posters need to accept the advice and information for what it is - individuals sharing facts and opinions based on very individual experiences, backgrounds, and aspirations. Each person represents millions of minutes' worth of experience, no longer confined to geography thanks to technology and mobility.

Ask questions, answer questions, learn a little, love a little - that's all I'm sayin'. Peace out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary