Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 07:42 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,375,154 times

Advertisements

I wonder why it's people from the Northeast (not the South, not the Midwest, not California or PNW, not the Southwest, or another country) who are ALWAYS the ones who bring up "the Civil War is over". A few people from that region of the country (though thankfully not most of them) really seem to be hung up on it. Wonder why? Certainly not a big deal to most North Carolina residents except from a historical view. We do have some nice historic sites, both from the Civil War (Bennett Place, etc) and Revolutionary War (Hillsborough is chock full) and colonial times (Old Salem).

I think ajunchh has a nice house he's looking to sell if you're interested in living in Willow Spring.

Last edited by poppydog; 10-05-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 10-05-2014, 08:34 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,719,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I wonder why it's people from the Northeast (not the South, not the Midwest, not California, not the Southwest, or another country) who are ALWAYS the ones who bring up "the Civil War is over". A few people from that region of the country really seem to be hung up on it. Wonder why? Certainly not a big deal to most North Carolina residents except from a historical view. We do have some nice historic sites, both from the Civil War (Bennett Place, etc) and Revolutionary War (Hillsborough is chock full) and colonial times (Old Salem).

I think ajunchh has a nice house he's looking to sell if you're interested in living in Willow Spring.
I've always figured they just want to use it as a point of supposed superiority over North Carolinians and to try shame people into silence when they make outrageous statements about things.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:53 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,325,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I've always figured they just want to use it as a point of supposed superiority over North Carolinians and to try shame people into silence when they make outrageous statements about things.
I liken it to people who make racist comments (whether or not they were intended as such) that people respond to negatively, then the people who made the original racist comments accuse the responders of "making everything about race."

Well, no. The person that brought it up when there had been NO mention of it is the one that changed the tone of the conversation, not the person/people who responded to it.

I think you may be right about the "supposed superiority" thing, though. It's easier to throw out something as off the wall as "Civil War Grudge" than to consider the possibility that your assumptions about a given topic might have been reached via faulty logic.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:49 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,879,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yup. Contrary to what some would have you believe, NC does actually have educated and intelligent residents whose families have been in NC for generations.
Of course they do, but do we need to read the obligatory defensive response every time a transplant asks a question?

Old 10-05-2014, 09:52 AM

510 posts, read 903,116 times
I have two children. Both went to FV elementary school. One went from 2nd to 5th, the other only for kindergarten, then we got re-assigned to Lincoln heights. We moved from Rocky Point schools in NY, so Fuquay Varina elementary was not near as good as FJ Carasiti in Rocky Point. Honestly we were very disappointed in Wake county schools compared to Rocky Point--but to me that's comparing apples to oranges. If you are dead set in moving to NC and into Wake county schools, and comparing Wake elementary schools against each other--apples to apples-- I don't think you will find anything wrong with FV elementary.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:57 AM

510 posts, read 903,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokaspeight View Post
I have been researching Wake county for some time now since my family and I will be moving next month . The overall sense I get is that aside from the crowding issues and some budgeting issues Wake county school system is pretty good . However , I read recently that FV had the most schools with the lowest averaging schools in the county . I have been there at least 5 time and spent alot of time in town while trying to find a house and I dont understand what the issues are in the town . I know it is diverse economically but I didnt think it was anymore or any less then any other town in Wake . My son is starting middle school next year and I have a rising second grader with an IEP - based on our home address they would be assigned to FV elementary unless we go yr then they would go to WL but looking at the feedback i am a little concerned, im actually considering waiving the traditional calendar so that they may go to WL ( if possible) - What is going on in FV that Cary ,Apex,HS or Garner other ect all the other suburban towns are not experiencing ?

Any FV parents or residents familiar with what exactly or have theory on what is contributing to the issues with FV schools when compared to other towns in wake with comparable a population ?? it just seems like such a nice , progressing town and im not making the connection ? thank you all for your input!!

also WL--I think you are talking about West Lake? out next door neighbors older daughter went there and to West lake middle and they were happy with both.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:11 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,375,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Of course they do, but do we need to read the obligatory defensive response every time a transplant asks a question?
No, if they just ask a question.

If they ask a question and simultaneously manage to insult the intelligence of NC natives and insinuate that the area will be so much smarter once more transplants move into the area, then yes.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:22 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,999,279 times
Test scores a more a function of demographics than the quality of education one is likely to receive.

You could make the argument that an average to above-average student will do better in "lower-performing" school. Such students might have easier access to the advanced programs within the school, and will be higher ranked within the school. Same kid could get lost in the shuffle elsewhere.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:27 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,719,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Test scores a more a function of demographics than the quality of education one is likely to receive.

You could make the argument that an average to above-average student will do better in "lower-performing" school. Such students might have easier access to the advanced programs within the school, and will be higher ranked within the school. Same kid could get lost in the shuffle elsewhere.
That is very true. That is why some brilliant students do not thrive at schools like Enloe or Raliegh Charter (one of the few charters I've actually been impressed by)..they've always been the top at their schools....toss them in with lots of equally capable students and they get lost but would thrive in a smaller environment.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:08 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,858,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokaspeight View Post
Yes I know I've read endless threads on how 30 minutes anywhere is a hike in nc apparently -

I appreciate you trying to infuse your "knowledge" of the jersey map but montclaire is at the northern end along with of Nj ( I lived there for 12 years) and cherry hill township is about 2hours from there ( I'm 20 min out now) and is a suburb of south jersey ( central) Brick is closer to the shore about 2 hours east/south of the other 2 towns . I'm asking about towns in the same county less the 15 min to an hour (in traffic) apart - the comparison you offered would be relevant if I was comparing. Charlotte ,Wilmington and Fv (approximately 2hours each way or more)which i clearly am not . Relevant comparison is what this " Jerseyan " understands

I don't get it why must everything be north vs south on this forum it's laughable - the civil wars is over !! Thank goodness the ppl I've met and know in real life from Nc ( Native and transplant) are nothing like what's represented on this forum geez Louise!!! For ppl who always seem to have a problem with attitude and rudeness from others , you sure dish out a healthy serving yourselves ( some not all)
The person you're replying to is from NEW YORK, as it clearly says in her status, LOL

Quote:
It doesn't happen every time someone asks a question, it happens every time someone makes a comment like "well at least transplants area bringing up the level of intellect" or something along those lines. Who's "fighting a civil war" in cases like that??

One should never move to somewhere with the hope or expectation of changing into what YOU want it to be. You're the one who needs to change if you don't like the way it is (or don't move there in the first place). This is true of anyone FROM anywhere moving TO anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary