Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:23 AM

112 posts, read 630,136 times

Advertisements

Can someone please compare these two towns? Are they similar? If not, how are they different? Is one more upscale than the other? Is one downtown more charming than the other?

Also, I know there is a Target in Wake Forest (or near it) but what about Fuquay-Varina? Where would the nearest Target be from there? And how about a Costco in either town?

Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks so much for responding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 11:30 AM

473 posts, read 1,737,229 times
I do not know much about Wake Forest but F-V is cute. Its not HUGE when it comes to shopping and such but its got a lot of rural areas. You will have to travel about 15-20 minutes to get to a Target.. basing this on being on 401 by the shopping areas currently in F-V. If you live in F-V this could mean anywhere from way down deep in the countrified areas to the downtown/uptown areas. The Downtown FV is so nice. Its a small area but its got a lot of fun shops. My son loves the guitar shop .. he goes there often to "hang out with the boys" and play guitar. They even have an old fashioned pharmacy with the lunch bar.. not sure what you call it exactly but its a cute thing to do and cheap !!!

But again, you'll have to head to Garner or Cary for shopping and its gonna be 15-20 minutes + depending on where you start from.

I know ZILCHO about Wake Forest so in hopes that someone comes on that knows about WF then you can compare from what I shared about FV.

I don't live IN FV but I am in the outskirts in a place called Willow Spring. My life is FV though.. my son goes to FVHS, and my others will attend FVMS and HS providing it doesn't all change by then.

Good luck to you!!

Linda

Old 02-06-2007, 11:42 AM

505 posts, read 2,542,951 times
Fuquay Varina all the way....

And Fuquay Varina is getting a target

Old 02-06-2007, 11:56 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rieboots View Post
Can someone please compare these two towns? Are they similar? If not, how are they different? Is one more upscale than the other? Is one downtown more charming than the other?

Also, I know there is a Target in Wake Forest (or near it) but what about Fuquay-Varina? Where would the nearest Target be from there? And how about a Costco in either town?

Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks so much for responding.
I know nothing about F-V, but seems to be further out and more rural, but I really don't know.

As for Wake Forest, it's a great location near just about everything and still having a small town feel in most areas. The elementary schools are awesome and I've heard no complaints about Middle and High school. It is growing faster then F-V is appears, and this can be a good thing if you like being close to what's happening, but it's still small enough you run into people that you know (even if you are 'new' it will happen in no time flat.

Plenty of activities for the kids to if that is a concern.

Down town also has a new 'master plan' they are trying to implement in stages. If they can pull it off it would be awesome.

I don't know in minutes how long it takes to get to Costco (I'll have to time it next time I go) but it can't be more then 25 minutes or so depending on traffic and time of day.

I enjoy living in Wake Forest overall (every town has quibbles)....and unless I could afford a historic area of downtown Raleigh or Chapel Hill, I doubt I'd ever want to move on.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Wake Forest is a bit more developed than FV.

About 4 years ago, I was showing clients Wake Forest and they kept complaining that it was so "out there" but today...with all the new shopping in the area, its just a community off North Raleigh.

From Wake Forest to Triangle Towne Mall is about 10 minutes. The closest Target is about 5 minutes.

I like FV and you'd get a bit more home for the money there but its a bit further from the malls!

Vicki

Old 02-06-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Wake Forest is a bit more developed than FV.

About 4 years ago, I was showing clients Wake Forest and they kept complaining that it was so "out there" but today...with all the new shopping in the area, its just a community off North Raleigh.

From Wake Forest to Triangle Towne Mall is about 10 minutes. The closest Target is about 5 minutes.

I like FV and you'd get a bit more home for the money there but its a bit further from the malls!

Vicki
You know...when we bought we didn't really ask about malls (though it's nice)....we wanted things 'in town' for things to do, and activities for the kid. I really was afraid I was going to have to run into Raleigh for everything like that at first.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:06 PM

13 posts, read 61,898 times
From a real estate standpoint, you will get more for your buck in FV than WF...but spend more gas getting around. I have neices that go to the Wakefield schools and are very happy about it. I don't know as much about the FV schools, but that may not be a big concern for you. Part of WF leads ito the Granville school district, and there is a good drop in price for land/house...but Wake County schools have gotten a bit more praise from past clients.

Have you considered Clayton? In Johnston County?

Old 02-06-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeraleigh View Post
From a real estate standpoint, you will get more for your buck in FV than WF...but spend more gas getting around. Ihave neices taht go to the Wakefield schools and are very happy about it. I don't know as much about the FV schools, but that may not be a big concern for you. Part of WF leads ito the Granville school district, and there is a good drop in price for land/house...but Wake County schools have gotten a bit more praise from past clients.
Do real estate agents lump Wakefield and Wake Forest together? They really don't seem to be together in the minds of the residents. (Or the schools....last year Wakefield students were very rude at a Wake Forest Basketball game calling WF 'shoeless' because we are considered the 'poorer' community (as in we actually have poor folks).

And Granville county schools are not up to par with Wake counties for the most part (though a motivated student could get an education there), but that should be very clear what school an address is assigned to when looking at the homes....Wake Forest is just a mailing address for these.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:22 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Do real estate agents lump Wakefield and Wake Forest together? They really don't seem to be together in the minds of the residents. (Or the schools....last year Wakefield students were very rude at a Wake Forest Basketball game calling WF 'shoeless' because we are considered the 'poorer' community (as in we actually have poor folks).

And Granville county schools are not up to par with Wake counties for the most part (though a motivated student could get an education there), but that should be very clear what school an address is assigned to when looking at the homes....Wake Forest is just a mailing address for these.
I think, for most people who do not live in wake forest, they believe wakefield is a big part of wake forest. In reality, it is not technically in wake forest, and does not have as big of an impact on the town as people would think. Wakefield, from a real estate perspective, was at the beginning of the "boom" of wake forest, it brought people to this part of the county. But now there are many large neighborhoods surrounding wake forest, and wakefield just happens to be one of them.

As far as wake forest and fuquay, they are just different from each other. For the most part, in new construction, you will find wake forest is more expensive, but it offers more land and trees (in my opinion). Wake Forest is a great place to live, and feels less like a town that people tend to need to drive through to get to other places (I say that because we always had to drive through/around fuquay on our way to the beach...........

I would also say that your lifestyle would help you make a choice. We chose wake forest (we were in apex, south side, near ten ten road) because it was a better commute for work. We also had some friends here, we wanted a small town feel with all of the amenities, and land (we are on an acre). So, for our lifestyle, wake forest worked for us.

Leigh

Old 02-06-2007, 12:38 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
Fuquay Varina all the way....

And Fuquay Varina is getting a target
I've also heard this since I moved there in 2005. Can this be verified anywhere? I have not seen anything on the planning board website. I also heard we are getting a movie theater but I think that may have just been a rumor. If anyone has more info on this, it's be great. thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary