Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:41 AM

613 posts, read 745,989 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a fellow NYer and Wake Forest resident yesterday. We both agreed that the problems we moved to get away from are slowing finding us. We lived near each other before we moved but never met.
His family was scarred by heroin use of their high school aged daughter, in NY. She survived. But their house in WF was broken into by a neighbors kid who is now in rehab.
The only thing that has not followed us is the weather. Still love the weather, vast improvement. Traffic, increased property taxes,cost of living, rise in crime. All starting to show itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 10:22 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
I'm frankly mystified by what people expect. Is this their belief that one can leave the "big city" for a halcyonic life in North Carolina and be forever unaffected by crime, drugs, etc.?

Perhaps it is the relocators themselves who bring these issues, nestled within their families. Or perhaps rising SES attracts it.

But I find it very odd that people think they can somehow buy their way into an island of tranquility were no dirt shall ever besmirch their lily-white lives.

Folks, life is Hobbesian at times. The obsession about finding the "best" schools, the "best" town, the "best" neighborhoods are a bit of a fantasy. Accept that things you don't like can happen anywhere, and that you have to protect your family and children by rearing them with the right values and the right self-awareness skills, and all will be well....

Old 09-15-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I'm frankly mystified by what people expect. Is this their belief that one can leave the "big city" for a halcyonic life in North Carolina and be forever unaffected by crime, drugs, etc.?

Perhaps it is the relocators themselves who bring these issues, nestled within their families. Or perhaps rising SES attracts it.

But I find it very odd that people think they can somehow buy their way into an island of tranquility were no dirt shall ever besmirch their lily-white lives.

Folks, life is Hobbesian at times. The obsession about finding the "best" schools, the "best" town, the "best" neighborhoods are a bit of a fantasy. Accept that things you don't like can happen anywhere, and that you have to protect your family and children by rearing them with the right values and the right self-awareness skills, and all will be well....

You missed the point entirely. I have lived in Wake Forest 12 + years. My friend 10+. The precautions that we now take just started. This is all very recent. The first 10-11 years were free from all of this. Fine to say 'it can happen anywhere' but my point is it didn't happen.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:54 AM

54 posts, read 109,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
You missed the point entirely. I have lived in Wake Forest 12 + years. My friend 10+. The precautions that we now take just started. This is all very recent. The first 10-11 years were free from all of this. Fine to say 'it can happen anywhere' but my point is it didn't happen.
+1

Bull City Rising: Believe it or not, not all transplants went seeking Utopia and are now crying boo-hoo because there is crime in NC just like back home. Some of us have brains in our heads.

But the point Carlos_Danger, and I believe the OP, is making is that things seem to be getting worse in the crime department.

Like I said, I'm not surprised by it, but I am saddened.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:58 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
Quote:

Indeed!!!

Old 09-15-2014, 11:30 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:

^ Well said.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:09 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
But the economy is getting better.
Yes it sure is.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fds472 View Post
+1

Bull City Rising: Believe it or not, not all transplants went seeking Utopia and are now crying boo-hoo because there is crime in NC just like back home. Some of us have brains in our heads.

But the point Carlos_Danger, and I believe the OP, is making is that things seem to be getting worse in the crime department.

Like I said, I'm not surprised by it, but I am saddened.

'is making is that things seem to be getting worse in the crime department'.

Noticeable my routine has recently changed . Now before I retire for the night the wife reminds me to make sure all cars are locked,garage door is down and the lights are left on. Yep many of my neighbors leave their front lights on all night now. I bought the LED bulbs from Home Depot and from the time I got the newsletter from the town of WF they stay on all night.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:14 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
I was talking to a fellow NYer and Wake Forest resident yesterday. We both agreed that the problems we moved to get away from are slowing finding us. We lived near each other before we moved but never met.
His family was scarred by heroin use of their high school aged daughter, in NY. She survived. But their house in WF was broken into by a neighbors kid who is now in rehab.
The only thing that has not followed us is the weather. Still love the weather, vast improvement. Traffic, increased property taxes,cost of living, rise in crime. All starting to show itself.
So true.

Running isn't the solution for bad situations.

People need to fight for fiscal responsibility and low crime where they are instead of running to some heavily touted place like the Triangle.

Even NY is now recruiting businesses with 10 tax free years. It can be achieved.

My area had a drug murder Saturday night.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:32 PM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times
How do you find out crimes that happen in the area. Is there a website?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary