Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:37 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
If you are open to travelling a little further, there is a fairly liberal baptist church in Raleigh: Pullen Memorial Baptist church. I don't know specifically about their views on boobs, but they are well known to be liberal on various controversial social issues. I know a lot fo people who go there and love it, but they are defintiley on the more liberal side of the fence. I can't imagine a boob being used for it's intended purpose would offend them. (They also have a female pastor).
I've heard similar about Umstead Park UCC regarding being on the more liberal side of the fence - though I have no personal experience with them or their facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 10:02 PM

260 posts, read 546,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneparentinwake View Post
Also, I am pretty sure the pastor indicated that I should specifically utilize the chair behind the curtain in the back of the nursery, but I will be certain to specifically ask this Sunday if I can modestly breastfeed (with a cover-up) in the sanctuary since there is no mother's room with sermon audio, and let you all know his response ...
Having been a nursing mother for a combination of many years, and a La Leche League Leader for 8 years.... this is still very limiting and non-inclusive. If you are forced to go to another area to breastfeed behind a curtain, then they aren't meeting your needs. Also keep in mind that not all babies like to be covered up while nursing. It's like suffocating and they will become fussy. Breastfeeding is completely normal and natural. There isn't anything about it that should repulse another human unless they have deep-seeded issues of their own. If it really IS an issue, then maybe that isn't exactly the place where you belong. Breastfeeding isn't about sexuality. That is actually their purpose - that others have taken to their own various thoughts. Do what is right for you and your baby.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:42 AM

450 posts, read 1,351,479 times
I've been in churches with nursing moms rooms, and some of them are great, but the only one in this area was in Durham, and I don't remember the name of it. I think it was Presbyterian. Anyway, my advice is don't ask, just do. Sit in the back row and be discreet, and most people will never know. I did this for many weeks at one relatively small church (so it's not like I was hiding in a big crowd) and no one ever said anything. I don't think they noticed. When I later told someone in the congregation that I'd been doing it, they freaked out. Just don't talk about it. I will say that it can take weeks for mom and baby to be comfortable enough with nursing to be discreet, especially if the baby doesn't like being covered(mine didn't). Like someone else said, those first few weeks you may not feel like going to church anyway - find sermons or services to listen to online.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:24 PM

413 posts, read 878,307 times
Default Grace Haven Baptist in Youngsville

I recommend Grace Haven Baptist. It is a young welcoming
congregation. They are building a church and currently meet
at Youngsville Elementary. The pastor, Dick Graves, is
a dedicated pastor and good nurturer of those new
to the Christian faith. They welcome children of all
ages and are loving. I visited there and loved it. It is
too far from my home but I loved the compassion
and social justice ministry I found there.

Parenting is hard work; the more emotional, spiritual,
and social support you have the better.
Blessings.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:05 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,659,209 times
Raleigh First Assembly of God on Blue Ridge Rd has a room in the back of the sanctuary with one way glass and a speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneparentinwake View Post
To those of you wanting details about our doctrinal beliefs, I'm afraid I can't yet provide an answer you would likely find to be acceptable. We are new followers of Christ and still learning our way -- which is why we are seeking a church where I can still have access to God's word while I am breastfeeding our new child.

The church we currently attend happens to be of Southern Baptist denomination, but we are open to visiting other churches which would be accepting of us.

Also, I am pretty sure the pastor indicated that I should specifically utilize the chair behind the curtain in the back of the nursery, but I will be certain to specifically ask this Sunday if I can modestly breastfeed (with a cover-up) in the sanctuary since there is no mother's room with sermon audio, and let you all know his response ...

Thank you all for your support and words of encouragement, and I apologize for disappointing those looking for that other kind of elusive "pro-boob" church you must have been thinking of ...

Old 10-23-2013, 08:56 AM

414 posts, read 1,257,842 times
OP: I fully support your breastfeeding efforts and applaud your research. I don't participate in organized religion, so I'm not much help. There are several local church services that broadcast live each Sunday on television. I believe Hayes Barton still broadcasts their services. Until you and your baby get to know one another and you get a sense of your relationship together, I would suggest maybe viewing the word on television. Or as another poster suggested, find a service online that you can watch. Hope this helps.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:33 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,722,377 times
this thread will leave us all with some good mammories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary