Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 10:20 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,953,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
One thing that hasn't been mentioned between the serious comments and the jokes. Have you considered a breast pump? That way you can be all bottled up and ready to go and not have to leave your pew when the youngster is hungry. I don't know how hard/easy that would be. Neither one of my ex's breast fed, but we did have a friend who said the pump was the best thing a new mother could have.
I completely disagree. Pumping to bottle-feed in public is way harder and way less convenient than just nursing in public. It's totally different than someone who is exclusively pumping, or someone who is pumping at work (while separated from baby), because you have to have the extra time and the extra milk to pump ON TOP of your normal feeding. Then you have to store the milk, transport the milk while keeping it cold, then find a way to warm the milk when you need to feed it (unless your baby takes it cold), and then worry about wasting it if baby doesn't finish it. Then when you get home, you have extra dishes to do too. Also, you need to worry about your own comfort and supply because now you have "skipped" a feeding as far as your body knows. Also, some babies have nipple preference and either won't take a bottle at all (like with my first baby) or once they start taking a bottle they start refusing the breast (like with my friend's baby).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 10:24 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,367,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
One thing that hasn't been mentioned between the serious comments and the jokes. Have you considered a breast pump? That way you can be all bottled up and ready to go and not have to leave your pew when the youngster is hungry. I don't know how hard/easy that would be. Neither one of my ex's breast fed, but we did have a friend who said the pump was the best thing a new mother could have.

Lactation consultants will advise you not to attempt to pump until your supply is fully established and not everyone has success with pumping.

OP - The title of your thread was fine. I hope that some of the suggestions here were helpful. I can not suggest any churches but I was going to mention the cover up that is available. I have friends who used them and liked them but I have heard some babies get fussy when covered. It is an option you could try and see if it works for you. Congrats and enjoy your little one when they get here!

On an off topic note, love the puns people posted, thanks for the laughs!

Old 10-15-2013, 10:41 AM

476 posts, read 1,304,465 times
I just "graduated" my little nursling after a year of breastfeeding. I hope you find the church you are looking for. I also want to offer encouragement and support. During the course of this last year feeding on demand, I got used to feeding in public and I learned that there is a solution for just about every feeding situation. In situations where I did not feel comfortable "whipping it out" I used a muslin blanket draped over my shoulder to cover the skin exposed (without covering the baby's face) and I've never had anyone say anything to me. Most looks or comments I have received have been very positive. Many times no one can tell I am breastfeeding. They think he is just sleeping. I would fully encourage you to try sitting in church and nursing on demand, with a cover or however you feel comfortable, and see how it goes.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:53 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,374,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
North Carolina law exempts breastfeeding from the indecent exposure statute. Basically, a mother may breastfeed in any location where she is not trespassing. If the owner of a private establishment wishes for her not to breastfeed there, they would have to have her charged with trespassing, not indecent exposure.

NC 14-190.9 Indecent exposure.
(B) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a woman may breast feed in any public or private location where she is otherwise authorized to be, irrespective of whether the nipple of the mother's breast is uncovered during or incidental to the breast feeding.
There is a very small time that the woman's breast is uncovered. And there are TONS of options from covers to blankets. We are somewhat of a prudish society. Most folks can tell when a woman is about to nurse her baby and if they don't want to look, don't look! Don't take something that is so natural and turn it into a sexual situation.

to the OP...I hope you find what you are looking for, in the way of a Church. I think most would be ok with you nursing your baby in Church. If you are uncomfortable, sit on the back row? And if you do get any strange looks, understand that it is THEIR problem and not yours!

The only thing I didn't like about your thread was seeing "boob" and "Church" in the same sentence. To most of us, Church is a sacred thing and I think the word "boob", although sounds fine to me (having 2 daughters, that is what WE call them!) just looked a bit too casual.

Vicki

Old 10-15-2013, 11:07 AM

725 posts, read 1,508,219 times
What kind of church are you looking for besides one with breast feeding facilities? That would help as there are plenty of churches with nursing mother rooms but certainly you are interested in their doctrine as well? That would help narrow down your search.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:32 AM

6,895 posts, read 7,984,159 times
If only someone would have explained to my babies that they could have gotten the same milk from that bottle they refused to have anything to do with. I tried every bottle on the market and never did get either of them to cooperate. Stubborn little peanuts.....

I agree with those who said just BF in your pew. Do you know for a fact that your original church frowns upon that?

Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 AM

13,774 posts, read 12,643,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
If only someone would have explained to my babies that they could have gotten the same milk from that bottle they refused to have anything to do with. I tried every bottle on the market and never did get either of them to cooperate. Stubborn little peanuts.....

I agree with those who said just BF in your pew. Do you know for a fact that your original church frowns upon that?
Good Point. It could be that the small room OP referred to was set up for mothers that felt uncomfortable breastfeeding in the pew, and not because the Church frowned on it.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:12 PM

521 posts, read 1,603,061 times
For this thread to provide useful recommendations, and not just be a place to vent about churches and breastfeeding, I think the OP may need to provide additional criteria for the kind of church she's looking for. Unless it really doesn't matter, in which case any rotary club or Unitarian assembly would serve just as well.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:12 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,045,499 times
I haven't read all the comments and this is probably not an option if you aren't Catholic or interested in Catholicism, but Catholic churches are by and large VERY pro-breastfeeding, right in the pew if that's what is comfortable for mom! We have lots of images of Mary nursing Jesus that creates respect around a mother feeding her child in the way she was created to do (not to say she can't choose otherwise; but it should be supported!). I hope you find a welcoming environment!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:14 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,045,499 times
Also, church is sacred- yes. So is nourishing children. And, from a religious standpoint, nourishing children with the breasts God designed women with is very sacred. Now I have to walk away from this thread before flames shoot from my eyes. :P

Last edited by sowk09; 10-15-2013 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: Just had to say... the jokes are funny! Those are not causing said flames. ;)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary