Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:07 PM

257 posts, read 491,460 times

Advertisements

We have Wells Fargo right now and we'd like to switch to a different bank. Despite direct deposit and high balance in check and savings, WF still charges $6.00 for online banking service. They nickel and dime a lot of services. Back in CA, we can't even call the local branch, it goes to a call center rep after getting past a long automated phone system.

I quickly looked over SunTrust and BB&T bank fee schedules. Looks like they offer free checking and online banking with direct deposit.

Does anyone feel strongly about one or the other in terms of customer service in-person or over the phone? Do you get connected to the local office when you call their phone #?

Do they "nickel and dime" for their services as well?

Any input - good or bad - on either bank would be appreciated. We tend to stay with good banks for many, many years if they have good customer service and don't charge for basic services.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 12:25 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,484 times
Suntrust pissed off alot of locals when the took over CCB, which was a great bank IMO. I left them then. I like BB&T because they are a 'local' bank and have more than a couple locations.... I try to stick local when banking and shopping...

Old 07-26-2013, 01:04 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
Suntrust pissed off alot of locals when the took over CCB, which was a great bank IMO. I left them then. I like BB&T because they are a 'local' bank and have more than a couple locations.... I try to stick local when banking and shopping...
We stayed with Suntrust after they took over our CCB account. I've been pleased with Suntrust- whatever account we have we are grandfathered into - everything is free, including checks. If I need phone help, I just call the local bank branch. For me it's all about having ATMs near the places I most frequent, and Suntrust fit the bill there. We've had no issues.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,788,843 times
I've been with Suntrust for many years (I was part of a DC bank that got taken over by SunTrust). I am pretty pleased with them. I don't feel nickel and dimed. I only have a checking account. At one point I got interest on it and didn't need a minimum balance because I had direct deposit into it. Now I don't have direct deposit, and I need to keep $500 in it or I will get charged. And there is no interest. Other than that, I haven't had random fees.

The tellers are nice and there are many branches. We travel to Virginia and Florida a lot and they both have SunTrust branches so it works for me.

I've never banked with BB&T, so I cannot compare.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:17 PM

464 posts, read 1,043,975 times
My vote is BB&T. Everything they offer services-wise are managed locally, including credit cards and mortgages. We enjoy going in and them always recognizing us and the personal service we receive. No nickel and diming at all!

My car note is via Suntrust and they have been hounding me to move more accounts with them, but BB&T has given me no reason at all to bail on them.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:18 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
I never banked with BB&T, but switched my business accounts from Wells (was with them as Wachovia) to Suntrust. I mainly picked ST because I have to drive past it every day leaving my neighborhood, but have been really happy with them. Wells definitely nickel and dimed us to death as well as some other headaches.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:25 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,796 times
You may want to consider a credit union instead. I had banked with many of the local banks; BB&T; Wachovia; Wells Fargo; etc and decided I had enough of their nickel and dime tactics. I researched a great deal and switched over to Coastal Federal Federal Credit Union a year or so ago and have been so pleased. Don't think a somewhat local credit union can't deliver all the services that the big banks can. No fee ATM's are available throughout the country and money market rates are much higher. Cutting edge bank teller availability (7-7/7) is really nice. I don't have a horse in the race, just passing along my two cents.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:49 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
I don't live in the Triangle, but have banked with BB&T for nearly 15 years in three different communities (2 in NC and 1 in SC). Have had 2 mortgages with BB&T. I get my paychecks through direct deposit and don't pay any fees for online banking. I have always received great service from BB&T.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:07 PM

553 posts, read 1,272,238 times
I've had SunTrust since we moved here four years ago. I am very happy with them. I love that they will reimburse the banking fee if you use another bank's ATM.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:45 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,484 times
I think whoever you pick we can all be in agreement of one thing....
Wells Fargo is in last place... j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary