Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 05:52 AM

237 posts, read 757,636 times

Advertisements

Well, we've been here one month now. Still trying to get all things set up. We are in the process of changing over bank info. Trying to get a good bank in North Raleigh. Has anyone had any dealings with Harrington Bank or know anything about them? First Citizens? Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 06:17 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,186,297 times
First Citizens is a disgrace. I once worked for a division of them, Atlantic States Bankcard Association.

High fees, lousy service.

If eligible, try to get in State Employees Credit Union.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:23 AM

70 posts, read 286,224 times
Stay away from BB&T, too. I never liked them.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:27 AM

57 posts, read 246,211 times
See this thread as well:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...it-unions.html

Old 08-12-2008, 07:58 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,273,915 times
I always go with a larger bank...easier to find branches.

I like Wachovia. I also like SECU but I'm not sure membership is open unless you work with the state.

Bank of America is good, also.

What I look for in a bank is good customer service and good rates on the money I have there.

I don't worry too much about how well or how bad they are doing as long as my money is federally insured!!!

Vicki

Old 08-12-2008, 08:56 AM

551 posts, read 2,289,373 times
I have consistently had the worst customer service from Bank of America. At all levels - local, national, phone, web... Just terrible.

We use SECU, but of course that's not an option for everyone. My parents have had great experience with BB&T.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:13 AM

473 posts, read 1,519,098 times
I'm a SunTrust person. Having worked for a community bank for 20 years, I've found SunTrust having excellent customers service, access, decent fees, and a good mix of products.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:06 PM

286 posts, read 995,055 times
I currently use Bank of America. I would agree that the customer service you get there isn't always so great.

However, they do have free checking and savings and probably more locations than any others. The online banking is very easy to use and really convenient for paying bills. It can all be done on their website. Keep the change program is a nice way to save a few bucks. If you opt into it they round up all purchases you make with your card and put the remainder into your savings. If you make a $10.55 purchase with your card, they take 11 out of your checking and roll the 45 cents over to your savings. For the first 3 months they match that as well, so they'd put in 45 cents of there own. After that they just match a percentage.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:28 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,273,915 times
Although I like SECU, I dont think they even have customer service! The other day I was in the drive through, making a DEPOSIT. I sat there for 8 minutes (yes, I did time it). I then asked the teller (I've been a teller) what was the problem. She said that she wasn't allowed to take a check made to cash. It was a DEPOSIT from my Wachovia account to my SECU account. A DEPOSIT! She then wanted to know if I could go back to Wachovia and have them issue me a certified check payable to SECU.

I suggested she call over her supervisior. They made my deposit but no "sorry you had to wait" or even a "thank you".

Vicki

Old 08-12-2008, 02:46 PM

56 posts, read 414,650 times
I'm kinda bank shopping now so here's my two cents: I suggest staying away from Bank of America. I was with them for 2 years and really loved the keep the change, but there getting crazy with charging overdraft fees. Screwed me outa $200 just in fees and would'nt budge any. They use to take them off if you raised cain with them but won't anymore. I read in a USA today article that Bank of America and Wachovia changed there policy and they now process debits before credits. Strangely, the guy who closed out my account said even though the works for BOA he dosen't agree with it and he's been having usally 1 person a day to come in and close out there account because of the policy change.

I would like to hear a bit more from people who are with First Citizens I am consedering going with them. I tried BB&T, but I had an account with them ten years ago and I closed it out a year or so after I opened it. There policy is once you close out an account with them you can never have another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary