Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times

Advertisements

So, how are your services? I've been on AT&T since the iPhone 3G came out. I stayed because of unlimited data. Now AT&T is starting to throttle your access of you go over 3GB in a month, which pretty much kills any advantage in staying with them.

So, I know Verizon has the best service from what I can see. Sprint used to be pretty bad even around Raleigh. Is that still the case? Sprint has truly unlimited data, so they are tempting, but it does me no good if the service is horrible. I live in Morrisville and have an office in Raleigh, but have to travel to random places over NC for work a few times a month, so being able to use my phone in more rural areas is somewhat important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,846 times
I've talked positive about Sprint here until the iPhone release on their network. I have to say that I am rarely able to use the unlimited data plan because I rarely have decent enough signal to do a single Facebook picture upload. I have zero signal around Glenwood ave, in Durham, and around north hills I get on and off signal. Pretty much everywhere I need signal I don't have it or is intermittent.

I plan on going to Verizon once our contract is up on the kids iPhones.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:53 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,988 times
I have been a customer of Sprint since 1999. They have made great improvements over the years. I have a IPhone 3g and I live in Durham. I get great 3g speed and hardly ever drop a call. I have 5bars in my basement. Sometimes way out in the country the signal goes in and out. So when driving the call may drop. But I'm talking rural. I have used my phone extensively all over NC and NJ.
The worse thing about an iphone is I am NEVER off of it. I'm either playing games, listening to streaming radio, texting or surfing the net...free data is awesome!! I'm becoming a phone zombie....

Old 08-27-2012, 09:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
At this stage, it's important to look at 4G coverage. Pretty much everyone has wide 3G coverage throughout the Triangle.

My family is on Verizon. 4G coverage in the area is decent at present, but it's not everywhere yet. I can't speak for the other carrier's 4G coverage.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Just bought a 4S from Target...through Virgin Mobile. No contract, 300 minutes a month...30 bucks a month. No problems so far...me like

Old 08-27-2012, 09:29 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
3G vs 4G is marketing - I wouldn't put too much stock in how the service is being advertised.

More important is the limits on data - data usage is increasing, so limits are more and more of a pain. If Springt is "good enough" and has unlimited data, that's what I'd look at.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:34 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Just bought a 4S from Target...through Virgin Mobile. No contract, 300 minutes a month...30 bucks a month. No problems so far...me like
I think Virgin is a great way to go - plans are basically half cost.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:51 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
What is the data usage allowance? I like the idea of no contract, and my term with Verizon will be up soon. I have had no problems with Verizon, just the cost......

Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 AM

842 posts, read 2,588,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
At this stage, it's important to look at 4G coverage. Pretty much everyone has wide 3G coverage throughout the Triangle.

My family is on Verizon. 4G coverage in the area is decent at present, but it's not everywhere yet. I can't speak for the other carrier's 4G coverage.
Must be costing you a pretty penny because Verizon is the most expensive carrier of them all, and they don't seem to care that they are either ... they are very cocky that way.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
What is the data usage allowance?
I honestly don't know...I'll see what I can find out later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary