Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:04 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,436,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
My iPhone 4s on AT&T holds a signal fine in all the areas you mentioned but Lake Pine at Cary Parkway. It's dicey there. Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

I also like being able to use data while making a call so I'm sticking with AT&T when I upgrade again this year.

I've had AT&T for about 13 years now (formerly BellSouth Mobility, the Cingular). I've had each new model of iPhone since the original in 2007.

Never had any problems with service that made me feel a need to switch.
If you are on 4g with Verizon or Sprint you can use data and talk at the same time. Same if you're on wifi too.

Sprints 3g signal is slower than verizon and att. Their plans are also much cheaper. You need to decide if a little faster speed is worth the extra cost. I would assume the next iphone with support 4g on all three networks. Sprints 4g network is very small, and it is not in Raleigh at all right now. Personally I am sticking with Sprint. They have roaming agreements with Verizon and you don't get charged for it. I depend on my phone for business and I find that they are satisfactory. I don't care too much about 4g, because it's just another antenna to suck down the battery. Hopefully there will be an option to turn it on and off on the new iphone. Office and home both have wifi and are much faster so 4g will almost never be needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 03:46 PM

43,559 posts, read 77,691,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
If you are on 4g with Verizon or Sprint you can use data and talk at the same time. Same if you're on wifi too.

Sprints 3g signal is slower than verizon and att. Their plans are also much cheaper. You need to decide if a little faster speed is worth the extra cost. I would assume the next iphone with support 4g on all three networks. Sprints 4g network is very small, and it is not in Raleigh at all right now. Personally I am sticking with Sprint. They have roaming agreements with Verizon and you don't get charged for it. I depend on my phone for business and I find that they are satisfactory. I don't care too much about 4g, because it's just another antenna to suck down the battery. Hopefully there will be an option to turn it on and off on the new iphone. Office and home both have wifi and are much faster so 4g will almost never be needed.
I have data and voice simultaneously, but I thought ATT was the only provider who could offer simultaneous data and voice on the iPhone.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 PM

82 posts, read 176,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have data and voice simultaneously, but I thought ATT was the only provider who could offer simultaneous data and voice on the iPhone.
I'm pretty sure that was a limitation of the older 3G networks. The newer 4G technology has no such limitation.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:39 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,450,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogTiger View Post
I'm pretty sure that was a limitation of the older 3G networks. The newer 4G technology has no such limitation.
That's right. iPhone isn't 4G yet. The new one will be.

I have a decent plan pretty much full of phones. I don't feel confident about Sprint and Verizon would cost me more than AT&T, so I'm staying put.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:16 AM

129 posts, read 305,332 times
those on verizon/sprint.

can you talk and surf at the same time when NOT on WIFI?

i have ATT and that is one of the biggest reasons im still with them. I think verizon didnt have this when the iphone came out for them (unless you're on wifi). just curious if its still the same.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:38 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,752,652 times
Just to be clear - actual 4G is ~100 Mbps. American "4G", which is all marketing hype, is closer to 15 Mbps. 3G is between .5 and 4 Mbps. And none of this even really existed five years ago - funny what we can't live with now that we didn't have even a few years back.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:07 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,190,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRunner View Post
those on verizon/sprint.

can you talk and surf at the same time when NOT on WIFI?

i have ATT and that is one of the biggest reasons im still with them. I think verizon didnt have this when the iphone came out for them (unless you're on wifi). just curious if its still the same.
I can on my Sprint phone.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 AM

843 posts, read 2,107,411 times
At least on Sprint, you can go online AND talk on phone at same time with wifi but not 3g

Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,190,094 times
Are you sure because there have definitely been times when I've needed to pull up some information on my email while talking to someone on my phone and I haven't been connected to wifi. Maybe it depends on the phone?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 AM

2,022 posts, read 3,607,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Four phones on family share plan. Corporate employee discount of 22%. Unlimited data (grandfathered (for now)). ~$190/mo.
Lots of folk qualify for 25% off, you get 22% for various corp/work discount and then 3% for paperless billing.

I pay 128 a month for two phones with Unlimited 3G and 4G on VZW. I don't think I even have not had 3G on my Phone and 4G is still not as reliable as 3G.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary