Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 AM

842 posts, read 2,589,766 times

Advertisements

Contract up with Verizon, but need to transition to another carrier because Verizon is just too expensive and although they have a great network coverage wise, I think that their prices are just too ridiculously high and sometimes I have problems in the Triangle with reception.

I was told that Virgin Mobile is pretty decent and that I should give it a shot ... only thing is that I would have to buy the phone outright for about $150 for a decent smart phone. My question is, does anyone else here uses Virgin Mobile or Sprint and find it okay in this area or even when travelling out of the State? I would appreciate your feedback and suggestions about this. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 10:54 AM

100 posts, read 290,545 times
I realize this is not answering your question about coverage but there are two other carrier options you might consider. Solavei runs on the tmobile network and Ting runs on the sprint network and are both much cheaper options. My husband uses Solavei and is VERY happy with the price. You have to buy your phone outright which is expensive but he pays $50 a month for unlimited everything. He bought a Samsung Galaxy II last fall off of ebay and has been very happy. Also if you get others to sign up it takes $20 off your bill. The downside is his coverage is not as great (still really good just not as great) as what I get with Verizon but it's worth it to him to save so much money.

I'm looking into switching to Ting (I have Verizon right now--too expensive!) in the near future just to compare tmobile and sprint.

HTH!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:58 AM

43,343 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Verizon has the best network, because they bought AllTel.

I use Sprint, so I roam on Verizon, and find Sprint just acceptable. Meaning, good enough I won't pay Verizon's rates, but far from perfect.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:40 AM

11,226 posts, read 8,315,761 times
Pre Paid Cell Phone Service in Raleigh Area

Pretty well covered in this post.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:17 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,869,580 times
I've had Virgin Mobile for a year now, and am not blown away with the coverage. A fair amount of dropped calls, and GLACIER SLOW internet. The price is nice for what I use it for, but the phone selection was lame up until a few months ago.

To paraphrase one of my favorite sayings, "You don't get what you don't pay for".....

Old 05-16-2013, 04:30 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,600,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Contract up with Verizon, but need to transition to another carrier because Verizon is just too expensive and although they have a great network coverage wise, I think that their prices are just too ridiculously high and sometimes I have problems in the Triangle with reception.

I was told that Virgin Mobile is pretty decent and that I should give it a shot ... only thing is that I would have to buy the phone outright for about $150 for a decent smart phone. My question is, does anyone else here uses Virgin Mobile or Sprint and find it okay in this area or even when travelling out of the State? I would appreciate your feedback and suggestions about this. Thanks
I have Virgin Mobile, and while I'm in Charlotte, the service at least here sucks. But I'm grandfathered in at $25 a month, so I'll deal with it. You might not be as patient.

Also, their smartphones are notorious for having small internal memory (512MB on at least half if not more), which, when combined with the typical bloatware, severally limits the ability to download apps. I have to do a lot of juggling.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 PM

683 posts, read 1,886,639 times
I have used VM for the almost four years that I have lived here in Cary and have never dropped a single call. The 3G internet can be a bit slow, but my son has a newer 4G phone and it is great. I use Wi-Fi 99% of the time anyway so the somewhat slow 3G doesn't bother me at all.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I have Virgin Mobile, and while I'm in Charlotte, the service at least here sucks. But I'm grandfathered in at $25 a month, so I'll deal with it. You might not be as patient.

Also, their smartphones are notorious for having small internal memory (512MB on at least half if not more), which, when combined with the typical bloatware, severally limits the ability to download apps. I have to do a lot of juggling.
So what is a guy supposed to do? How is Sprint ... how are there pre=paid phones?

Old 05-17-2013, 04:49 AM

843 posts, read 2,101,930 times
I have a Sprint family plan. Cheaper than Verizon. I have good coverage through the area. Of course, there are a few 'holes' where calls get dropped. 3g is pretty slow in some spots, better in others...
I have been with Sprint since 99.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I have a Sprint family plan. Cheaper than Verizon. I have good coverage through the area. Of course, there are a few 'holes' where calls get dropped. 3g is pretty slow in some spots, better in others...
I have been with Sprint since 99.
Don't they have 4G service too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary