Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 10:55 AM

11 posts, read 17,640 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to the area, and my Virgin Moblie phone that worked great in California frequently drops calls, can't find a signal, can't locate the GPS in the Triangle. Is it my phone, or do others have an issue with Virgin Mobile too?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 12:34 PM

5 posts, read 14,085 times
I have an Optimus V on Virgin here in Durham and haven't had any real problems. 3G data coverage seems to go down about once every two weeks for a few hours, but other than that I have no complaints. I use the GPS all the time and have no issues there either.

That being said, it's nowhere near as reliable as my fiance's Verizon Droid. The the Sprint network in the tirangle is definitely inferior to Verizon in my experience. The cost of Virgin makes me a lot less likely to complain though!

Old 10-16-2011, 03:19 PM

58 posts, read 130,807 times
I have a Rumor Touch and it is super reliable - no problems!

Old 10-16-2011, 06:25 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,269,996 times
We have a VM Cyclops and it always gets calls through.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:31 PM

371 posts, read 1,223,611 times
I have LG Optimus V and live in Cary. I have no complaints except when I go to Harris Teeter on Davis Drive where you get zero signal.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:32 PM

754 posts, read 1,699,732 times
I've been using the Optimus V on Virgin since February or so and while there were some growing pains at the beginning with the $25/mo plan, it's been pretty reliable for the price. Data speeds are pretty abysmal in Durham so I use WiFi at home. Not much better in NW Cary (~200kbps on Speedtest every time I test it), but pretty fast when we're in Raleigh. Speeds were high-end 3G when we were in Philly so I'm guessing it's a capacity thing here. Also, as a footnote, I can't seem to get much of a data signal in the RBC Center or Greensboro Coliseum which is kind of annoying.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:50 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,931,799 times
Another Optimus V user here. I'm a little bit frustrated.

I can't listen to streaming content on walks through my neighborhood, 3G coverage is way too spotty.

A repeater went up at work and that has helped a great deal, but coverage in RTP is still spotty. Verizon's coverage is much better, but for what I'm paying I'm not looking to switch. I've never had any problems with GPS though and use it quite a bit.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,266,304 times
I had an old Virgin Mobile Nokia phone, it worked like a charm in MD, but wouldn't work at all in our apartment in NC. I'd get a message when trying to make a call, something like I need to move within a range of network. I googled it and found that someone possibly had a Sprint booster (?) nearby, which was causing issues with my signal. I called Virgin Mobile and they said they'd help, but they didn't do anything and never returned my call or email. Very bad customer service, I don't use them anymore.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:48 AM

371 posts, read 1,223,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
I had an old Virgin Mobile Nokia phone, it worked like a charm in MD, but wouldn't work at all in our apartment in NC. I'd get a message when trying to make a call, something like I need to move within a range of network. I googled it and found that someone possibly had a Sprint booster (?) nearby, which was causing issues with my signal. I called Virgin Mobile and they said they'd help, but they didn't do anything and never returned my call or email. Very bad customer service, I don't use them anymore.
For Customer service (which is offshored in Philippines) is very bad. If you want to count on Customer Service don't go to Virgin Mobile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary