Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
Well most people have places they don't want to live for one reason or another, but most people don't beat a dead horse about those areas and subject people to the same old diatribe the way a few that hate Cary do.
There are probably more dead-horse beaters who hate Durham than who hate Cary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 07:35 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
There are probably more dead-horse beaters who hate Durham than who hate Cary.

Isn't it a shame that some people prefer to live in "Hate," regardless of the target?

If I want to send them a Get Well card, what is the Zip Code for Hate?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:02 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Isn't it a shame that some people prefer to live in "Hate," regardless of the target?

"Hate" may be too strong of a word. I think they are uneducated and misinformed and therefore, don't understand that people have choices. It is ok to live in Durham and NOT make snide comments about the other areas that people choose to live in. It is ok to live in areas near Capital Blvd. and NOT make snide comments about the other areas that people choose to live in.

Vicki

Old 07-07-2011, 10:20 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
"Hate" may be too strong of a word. I think they are uneducated and misinformed and therefore, don't understand that people have choices. It is ok to live in Durham and NOT make snide comments about the other areas that people choose to live in. It is ok to live in areas near Capital Blvd. and NOT make snide comments about the other areas that people choose to live in.

Vicki

I have a hard time parsing the material difference between "despise" and "hate," but certainly agree that people can live anywhere and not make snide remarks about other areas where others choose to live.
Every place is "home" to someone.

"Despise" and "Hate" are overused to the point of meaninglessness anyway.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:29 AM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

"They" probably hate greeting cards.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:31 PM

34 posts, read 75,982 times
Default Cary - I have about 48 years experience

I'll sum up the Cary thing. I have more experience living in the Raleigh/Cary area than probably anyone on this post.
Cary had farms like Green Acres until about 30 years ago. It was a podunck small town of rednecks until about 45 years ago, when IBM set up shop at Research Triangle Park. After IBM, a slew of companies came to RTP, and even SAS Institute - one of the richest private companies in the world. Cary evolved quickly into a very middle class, white suburb. Unlike Raleigh, which is full of rabid liberals, Cary had middle of the road types. Many inhabitants are from the northeast, hence the plethora of cookie cutter houses and subdivisions. That is what they are used to, so builders cater to the market. Not much creativity - many northeasterners and mid-west inhabitants who grew up in blue collar families who join the local #_____ factory labor union. Many Catholics in Cary over the years - again, most Catholics in the U.S. were blue collar types.
The Cary population has been very different from Raleigh, where many more people were from educated backgrounds, and artistic.
Cary has been a very clean, nice, safe place to live. They have good shopping now - Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. As you can imagine, the traffic progressively got worse over 45 years, and unbearable for some of us at this point. Cary is still a good location to RTP and downtown Raleigh.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:49 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Vicki
Much of the dislike of Cary and Durham (for different reasons) does come out of misunderstandings.

But Vicki, I'd say some of the reactions you see against each -- particularly in anonymous, less accountable message boards like the N&O and WRAL -- *is* based on hate, or at least darker emotions of the human soul.

The anti-Cary screeds on such boards are often tinged in anti-"Yankee" sentiment that seems to reflect the hatred, of some, for those moving in from the Northeast -- both out of old familial Southern tradition and for the impact same are having on transforming North Carolina's economy, politics, landscape, and prices.

And I think there is a certain part of anti-Durham sentiment that comes back to race and racism. Which is NOT to say that everyone, or even most people, who don't like Durham are racist or motivated by race. But there certainly are people who are, and who are pretty transparent in their feelings on that.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:01 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Much of the dislike of Cary and Durham (for different reasons) does come out of misunderstandings.

But Vicki, I'd say some of the reactions you see against each -- particularly in anonymous, less accountable message boards like the N&O and WRAL -- *is* based on hate, or at least darker emotions of the human soul.

The anti-Cary screeds on such boards are often tinged in anti-"Yankee" sentiment that seems to reflect the hatred, of some, for those moving in from the Northeast -- both out of old familial Southern tradition and for the impact same are having on transforming North Carolina's economy, politics, landscape, and prices.

And I think there is a certain part of anti-Durham sentiment that comes back to race and racism. Which is NOT to say that everyone, or even most people, who don't like Durham are racist or motivated by race. But there certainly are people who are, and who are pretty transparent in their feelings on that.
I'll agree that most of the strong opinions comes out of misunderstandings. Look at the recent post about Knightdale.

However, I don't know that I agree that it is based on hate. I do agree that some of it is based on jealousy.

I have many friends that live ITB and although they voice their STRONG opinions on the "relocating yankees", none of them "hate" them...just don't want "them" moving into their territority!

I deal with REAL people...so maybe I see things differently. I do find that people that can be anonymous on forums such as this one, come across as being more negative and hateful than I find ANYONE in real life and I deal with so many people on a daily basis.

Vicki

Old 07-18-2011, 10:52 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebe8528 View Post
I'll sum up the Cary thing. I have more experience living in the Raleigh/Cary area than probably anyone on this post.
Cary had farms like Green Acres until about 30 years ago. It was a podunck small town of rednecks until about 45 years ago, when IBM set up shop at Research Triangle Park. After IBM, a slew of companies came to RTP, and even SAS Institute - one of the richest private companies in the world. Cary evolved quickly into a very middle class, white suburb. Unlike Raleigh, which is full of rabid liberals, Cary had middle of the road types. Many inhabitants are from the northeast, hence the plethora of cookie cutter houses and subdivisions. That is what they are used to, so builders cater to the market. Not much creativity - many northeasterners and mid-west inhabitants who grew up in blue collar families who join the local #_____ factory labor union. Many Catholics in Cary over the years - again, most Catholics in the U.S. were blue collar types.
The Cary population has been very different from Raleigh, where many more people were from educated backgrounds, and artistic.
Cary has been a very clean, nice, safe place to live. They have good shopping now - Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. As you can imagine, the traffic progressively got worse over 45 years, and unbearable for some of us at this point. Cary is still a good location to RTP and downtown Raleigh.
Be glad it wasn't Walt Disney that came to Cary decades ago. Come to Orlando and see the end result of that nightmare. I'm counting the days down to when we can move from here. Cary sounds like a lovely place to be. Actually, we're planning a trip there later on this year to scope out our next home. Don't worry, we won't be bringing anything of Orlando with us; that garbage will be left at the curb on trash day.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebe8528 View Post
wow. I learned so much just by reading this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary