Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:10 PM

915 posts, read 2,382,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
I joke about it, but really don't hate it, but wouldn't want to live there - it's the containment area. It kinda reminds me of Gitmo - Gitmo is in Cuba but is a US military base - even though it's in Cuba, it's not really Cuba - kinda the same for Cary - it's in NC, but it's not really NC

Just curious, is the C of "CNC" for Charlotte, then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 07:15 PM

233 posts, read 269,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
I joke about it, but really don't hate it, but wouldn't want to live there - it's the containment area. It kinda reminds me of Gitmo - Gitmo is in Cuba but is a US military base - even though it's in Cuba, it's not really Cuba - kinda the same for Cary - it's in NC, but it's not really NC
I don't have anything against it, but it may not be my first choice as a place to live. I looks nice and all, but I like a less crowded area. The Chatham side of Cary would be more to my liking. The people don't bother me. I take them one at a time. If you're nice that's cool. If not, on to the next. I met some real nice people from Cary and some snobs. I think that goes for anywhere.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:19 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Just curious, is the C of "CNC" for Charlotte, then?
Clayton

Old 07-01-2011, 07:22 PM

294 posts, read 829,352 times
Shh....If you despise Cary, they may annex you too. Not all Cary residents choose to live in Cary....which brings this full circle to the Cuba analogy......

Old 07-01-2011, 08:09 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Cary is a planned community that has grown by leaps and bounds over the past several years. It is very well maintained, manicured and has certain ordinances such as limitations on signs, no billboards etc. It is basically very family oriented. Some people depise Cary because of the homogenous nature of the community. Some think it is only filled with upscale developments and soccer moms driving expensive SUVs. It is sometimes referred to as "Stepford-like", beige/vanilla etc.

That being said, I love living here. It's well kept, clean and very safe. I'm well beyond the soccer mom stage...actually only 8 years away from retirement. Cary is not for everyone, neither is Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, or California or NY for that matter. Different strokes for different folks and that's what makes the world go 'round.
That is it, EXACTLY!

Vicki

Old 07-02-2011, 07:07 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
It is very well maintained, manicured and has certain ordinances such as limitations on signs, no billboards etc.
Some people might be surprised to know that Chapel Hill's sign restrictions are more stringent than those in Cary. And yet Cary is the town painted as being restrictive, conformist, "beige," etc.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:04 AM

45 posts, read 280,380 times
Cary has the stigma of being the "rich" uppity side of Raleigh. this isn't all true, but from living there the past 2 years, I'd have to agree. I just moved to the other side of raleigh from cary last week and I am already happier. My neighbors would call the police on my friend and I if we were on our back deck past 10:30 having a conversation. Im not exaggerating either, we were literally sitting on our back deck, having a normal conversation over a couple drinks and the police came walking around the corner. This happened multiple times, and the neighbors even reported "parties" going on. I guess if you consider 4 people inside a house playing some card games a party, then yea, we were throwing down hard haha. The police got so fed up with our neighbors that they started ignoring the calls, and we reported them to our landlords who had a lawyer send them a cease and desist order or else they would be responsible for my rent if I chose to move out early.

This is an extreme case, though, I believe; and wouldn't expect everyone to experience that. Now, someone mentioned chapel hill having more stringent ordinances, but I feel Cary's are about even with Chapel Hill, if not worst. It is definitely the more liberal side of older, raleigh inhabitants.

Fun Fact for you... NC is an open carry state, but, the City of Cary is the only city in the state that has a city ordinance banning open carry.

Another bad wrap that Cary gets, is that the police are aweful. This is not true... having spoken to many of them via my neighbors, I can assure you that they are extremely reasonable LEO's. I think they get a bad wrap b/c they have little to no tolerance on speeding/DUI's. But that is because they are trying to keep it family oriented and safe.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:54 AM

6 posts, read 12,465 times
Cary is nothing but stripmalls and suburbs, with pavement in between. If you like to drive to the mall on Saturdays and watch CSI at night, it's the place for you.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:38 PM

519 posts, read 981,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookey86 View Post
Cary is nothing but stripmalls and suburbs, with pavement in between. If you like to drive to the mall on Saturdays and watch CSI at night, it's the place for you.
What if I enjoy watching Law and Order instead?

Old 07-03-2011, 05:40 AM

233 posts, read 269,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookey86 View Post
I think there is more than just that. I know they have some impressive employers, several nice parks, a couple of amphitheaters, some all natural stores, the only 5 star hotel in the Triangle and an Olympic baseball facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary