Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 6,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceBound View Post
In the Cary ICE thread this was posted.

I only included the part that made me curious. I asked why and did not receive an answer. It got me to thinking about why certain places in the Triangle are disliked.

So my question is why do some people despise Cary so.
In my opinion...it is a lovely place to live. In simple terms, I think people may not take a liking to Cary because of those outsiders who believe owning a 350,000 home in West Cary means they have money and class. There is a specific attitude that goes along with this idea and it is definitely demonstrated. Cary has changed what the south is known for, hospitality. In recent years, people have gone from waving hello to giving each other the finger. Kind of reminds me why I left NY in the first place. I just wish, if people moved down for a better way of life, they should check their attitudes at the door. The replys in this post just prove what I'm saying is correct. Instead of answering your question, some are posting as to why your asking this question, since according to them...it was answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 01:28 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
Everyone defecates the same...from Cary or not. But stay away from the Chapel Hill Scuppies, their crap smells worse than Cary's yuppies

Frigging Tree-huggers...jk.
Everyone does. However some think the contents of the bowl smells like roses after their "business" is complete.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:06 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
I have a sister in law who was raised to think she was better than everyone else who crossed her path. I'm not judging; it's the absolute truth. I tried hang with her but picture a granola tree hugger trying to discuss the "latest style, In thing, gotta have" and you had us.....

She and little brother ran to Raleigh a few years ago ( after an embarassing work related downfall) and guess where she finally settled......Cary..... And I'm sure, if they are available, she wears a t-shirt stating: I LIVE IN UTOPIA: it's called Cary, NC

Old 03-22-2012, 07:15 PM

376 posts, read 1,061,885 times
People generally playfully make fun of Cary because it is a master planned type of city, homogenous, and with a rep of being upwardly mobile and yuppie. It's a very nice place to live with lots of greenery, parks and family amenities, and nice houses. The only downside to me is the lack of independent restaurants. If you like chain restaurants, that's mostly all that's available. (FYI- Cary is not nearly as snobby as North Raleigh.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
People generally playfully make fun of Cary because it is a master planned type of city, homogenous, and with a rep of being upwardly mobile and yuppie. It's a very nice place to live with lots of greenery, parks and family amenities, and nice houses. The only downside to me is the lack of independent restaurants. If you like chain restaurants, that's mostly all that's available. (FYI- Cary is not nearly as snobby as North Raleigh.
Humphf! Just because Cary stands for "Can't Afford Raleigh Yet" does not mean we are snobby! But...if you are talking about ITB...then I agree!

Vicki

Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
People say that about Cary restaurants but it is totally not true at all. I almost never eat in chains and always have plenty of options. You have to know where to go!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:43 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Personally I agree with the restaurant comment. While there are independent places around, there simply isn't the vibrancy in the restaurant scene that you see in places like Durham, Raleigh, or hell even Carrboro. We have a few go to spots in Cary but often find ourselves going to Raleigh if we want to eat dinner out.

For example, we have plenty of restaurants within walking distance of our house but they are Outback, Chili's, Boston Market, Tijuana Flats, Wendy's, Starbucks, Hurricane Wings, The Loop, NY Bagels, Subway, and Torrero's. All chains except at least Torrero's is a local chain. For local restaurants there's just Hibernian, a so so Chinese buffet in the shopping center with the Starbucks, a so so Japanese restaurant by the Trader Joes, and another Chinese buffet we haven't gotten around to trying yet. I was disappointed when I saw the old Bear Rock location is getting converted into an aquarium shop because I was really hoping an independent restaurant would give it a go. I still hold out hope that the old pizza place that's been standing empty forever will turn into a delicious farm-to-fork type place but I won't be holding my breath on that haha.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:02 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
If you live near shopping centers like crossroads or near strip malls with chain stores, you're going to find chain restaurants! I can count at least 25 places near me that are not chains and very good! I don't' think you can compare it to Raleigh or Durham based on size and population.

Klara's
maximillians
Bombay Bejing
Chefs of India
Jasmin
Bocci Trattoria
Mawa's
Chef's Palette
Bosphorous
Serendipity
Taipei 101
Hot Point Cafe
Sushi Thai (local but 2 locations)
Tom Yum Thai
Dorry's
Super Wok
Little Tokyo
Spirits
Hibernian
La Farm Bakery
Unaabi
Udipi
Tangerine Cafe
Brooklyn Boys pizza
The Big Easy (local but 2 locations)
Abbey Road
Cary Cafe
La Shish
havanna Grill
Thai Villa
Rey's
Martin Curry Rice
Danny's Barbecue
Roma's
Barry's
Gypsy's shiny diner
Lotus leaf
Thai Spices
NY pizza
Korean Garden
Domo sushi
Heron's
Tony's oyster bar
KoMo
Jimmy V's
Macgregor Draft House
Brigg's
Shortie's
Tarasco's
Christi's
Cinelli's
Harrison's
Saffron
Inchin
Biryani House
Pancho Villas

And this is nowhere near a complete list!

Last edited by lamishra; 03-23-2012 at 08:16 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 08:12 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
If you live near shopping centers like crossroads or near strip malls with chain stores, you're going to find chain restaurants! I can count at least 25 places near me that are not chains and very good! I don't' think you can compare it to Raleigh or Durham based on size and population.

Klara's
maximillians
Bombay Bejing
Chefs of India
Jasmin
Mawa's
Bosphorous
Serendipity
Taipei 101
Hot Point Cafe
Sushi Thai (local but 2 locations)
Tom Yum Thai
Dorry's
Super Wok
Little Tokyo
Spirits
Hibernian
La Farm Bakery
Unaabi
Udipi
Tangerine Cafe
Brooklyn Boys pizza
The Big Easy (local but 2 locations)
Abbey Road
Cary Cafe
La Shish
havanna Grill
Thai Villa
Rey's
Martin Curry Rice
Danny's Barbecue
Roma's
Barry's Gypsy's shiny diner
Lotus leaf
Thai Spices
NY pizza
Korean Garden
Domo sushi
Heron's
Tony's oyster bar
KoMo
Jimmy V's
Macgregor Draft House
Brigg's
Shortie's
Tarasco's
Christi's
Cinelli's
Harrison's
Saffron
Inchin
Biryani House

And this is nowhere near a complete list!

And... Your fingers got tired....

Old 03-23-2012, 08:14 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Well, both Raleigh and Durham have much larger populations than Cary, so it's not surprising they have more variety in restaurants. That said, for a suburb I think Cary has good options, particularly in ethnic food. I like Tangerine Cafe, Thai Spices & Sushi, Udipi (best Indian restaurant I've been to in the area) and Unaabi among others. Heck, Cary even has a new French-Korean fusion restaurant:

KoMo KoMo mixes French and Korean cuisine | First Bite | Independent Weekly

Looking at this list, I see quite a few Cary restaurants that look interesting that I haven't tried yet:

Cary Restaurants | Urbanspoon

That said, there are chain restaurants everywhere because people like to eat at chains.. this isn't a Cary, Apex, Raleigh or Durham phenomena. Just look at any thread here where people talk about restaurants they wish would open up - most of the restaurants named will be chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary