Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 12:36 PM

62 posts, read 153,778 times

Advertisements

We are looking at houses in the $250k - $300K range in the Wake Forest area. Aside from Heritage (and all of its branches) what other custom/semi-custom, nice (ie., well-maintained yards, sociable neighbors, family-friendly) neighborhoods are in Wake Forest that also have a pool?

Trying to avoid "track" neighborhoods like Reynolds Mill and Richland Hills (no offense - hubby just doesn't care for them).

Also - interested in opinions on Shearon Farms and Stonegate communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 01:42 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,902 times
Bishop's Grant
Bowling Green
Northampton

are the 1st 3 that come to mind after Heritage
if you are willing to join the pool at Granite Falls you have even more options

Old 03-16-2011, 03:17 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
I actually have clients that bought in Heritage and joined the pool at Granite Falls, instead of joining Heritage's pool.

Stonegate is very nice, good location, less expensive than Heritage.

I've shown homes in Shearon Farms but have not sold one in there, in all these years. I always liked the homes but I might be concerned with the number of townhomes being built. I don't know if the neighborhood will have more townhouses than houses and that might bother me. I'd have to drive through to see it as I haven't been in there in a while.

Vicki

Old 03-16-2011, 04:28 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,873,429 times
I've ckd out Wake Forest out pretty well. My friends say I've stalked it searching for a home. I agree with Vicki. And, be careful in some homes neighborhoods where they are finishing up by building cheaper homes...I have seen it at a few places around the triangle... always check out the back end of the neighborhood I've found that when they do this it can change the profile and tone of the neighborhood.
Anyhow, have you thought about Wakefield, it's across the other side of Capital and a nice family neighborhood with that great Y (Kerr family). granite falls is worth a look as is stonegate. What about Highland Creek? Although I find their lots small. But their clubhouse and pool are very nice.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:01 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,036,436 times
I would say bishop's grant, although it may be tough to get in in the under 300 range.

Bishop's grant is a good location, nice pool, etc.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:45 PM

[quote=RaleighLass;18308851]I've ckd out Wake Forest out pretty well. My friends say I've stalked it searching for a home. I agree with Vicki. And, be careful in some homes neighborhoods where they are finishing up by building cheaper homes...I have seen it at a few places around the triangle... always check out the back end of the neighborhood I've found that when they do this it can change the profile and tone of the neighborhood. ...quote]

Interesting observation. But, I've noticed that with the tightening of the mortgage market, it looks like we are getting an even higher socioeconomic bracket of people into the smaller homes in our neighborhood than we did 5 years ago in the larger, more expensive homes.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,873,429 times
[quote=NYer;18311311]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I've ckd out Wake Forest out pretty well. My friends say I've stalked it searching for a home. I agree with Vicki. And, be careful in some homes neighborhoods where they are finishing up by building cheaper homes...I have seen it at a few places around the triangle... always check out the back end of the neighborhood I've found that when they do this it can change the profile and tone of the neighborhood. ...quote]

Interesting observation. But, I've noticed that with the tightening of the mortgage market, it looks like we are getting an even higher socioeconomic bracket of people into the smaller homes in our neighborhood than we did 5 years ago in the larger, more expensive homes.
I recall hearing on the news last week that in Cary some large neighborhood was complaining about this very issue - the neighborhood being completed in its final phase with cheaper homes...now of course this is relative, I'm generalizing. And I certainly didn't mean that it was happening Wake Forest, or to the exclusion of other areas. I meant the triangle...want to be sure to clarify I've watched this area grow and ckd out many neighborhoods over the years and it has been a pattern for sometime for many subdivisions. It looks like the original builder makes their $$ and then at a certain point they deem it a done deal and sell out the remaining lots to a smaller builder...sorry to get us off track but it does relate to looking for a home in WF or anywhere in the triangle

Old 03-17-2011, 07:00 PM

[quote=RaleighLass;18325405]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post

I recall hearing on the news last week that in Cary some large neighborhood was complaining about this very issue - the neighborhood being completed in its final phase with cheaper homes...now of course this is relative, I'm generalizing. And I certainly didn't mean that it was happening Wake Forest, or to the exclusion of other areas. I meant the triangle...want to be sure to clarify I've watched this area grow and ckd out many neighborhoods over the years and it has been a pattern for sometime for many subdivisions. It looks like the original builder makes their $$ and then at a certain point they deem it a done deal and sell out the remaining lots to a smaller builder...sorry to get us off track but it does relate to looking for a home in WF or anywhere in the triangle
You are absolutely correct- I don't mean to disagree. For example, Bowling Greeen has quite a few homes with finished basements and attics in addition to huge 1st & second floors, with hardwoods, granite, tile, cool windows... BUT... the homes being built now are more like 2,500 square feet. They have beautiful facades since that is required... but the type of house being built has changed.

My point is that economic conditions have changed things so that it seems like the new residents have mroe disposable income than the existing ones, to judge from teh updrading to the yards & homes they are doing on their own.

The good news for Bowling Green is that it was designed to have several sizes & styles of homes so it doesn't look jarring... like... here is the "good part" and here is the "bad." There are 3 distict sections. In "the back" where the homes are smaller, there are some lots that are almost 1/2 an acre and back onto protected areas & the creek. And in teh part across the creek that you access through Willow Deer, the homes are much more customized. Many are ranches with 1st floor masters.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:18 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,344,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I actually have clients that bought in Heritage and joined the pool at Granite Falls, instead of joining Heritage's pool.

Stonegate is very nice, good location, less expensive than Heritage.

I've shown homes in Shearon Farms but have not sold one in there, in all these years. I always liked the homes but I might be concerned with the number of townhomes being built. I don't know if the neighborhood will have more townhouses than houses and that might bother me. I'd have to drive through to see it as I haven't been in there in a while.

Vicki
Is Granite Falls an option for buying in Pemberly? is it far? Expensive? I called for Heritage's rates for non-resident, and they were cheaper than the YMCA, but only offer pool and tennis and the YMCA offers gym, pool and tennis. Just trying to see if Pemberly would offer our kids lots of chances to meet others (they aren't yet school age) I like the proximity to The Factory. I'll check out Stonegate, BG and Northampton too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary