Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:42 AM

20 posts, read 80,344 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to the Wake Forest/North Raleigh area this spring. We have been looking through listings, refining our criteria but I am finding it difficult to get answers about HOAs for neighborhoods.

One of our main criteria is that my husband (who is an avid ham radio operator) be able to put up a retractable mast. Our current HOA does not allow any type of antenna. I know it varies from HOA to HOA, so I want to be able to check the restrictions so we avoid looking in neighborhoods that will be a no-go.

We have found several homes and neighborhoods that we like, but we need help finding out which ones have HOAs and which ones of those will allow masts.

Examples:

MLS# 1770038 is 7208 Hayebury Dr., Wake Forest
(there's actually several in that area that look good) The real estate website I'm looking at says it's in the Grayson Creek subdivision but says nothing about an HOA. Does anyone know if that area has an HOA? I can't find anything online.

MLS# 1780465 is 1809 Bagshot Ct., Wake Forest
Listing says it is in the Parkington subdivision, but I can't see anything about an HOA.

MLS# 1792168 is 601 Ted Ave., Raleigh
It says it is in the Martindale subdivision. Again, I cannot find anything about HOA, though I see it is an older home so maybe it doesn't have one???

The Houston Area Realtor website (which covers the area we live in now) always lists if there is an HOA and what the annual fee is for each home. I'm not seeing any information like that on any of the listings I'm looking at in the Triangle area. I'm fine with contacting the HOA directly to get information, but I can't even see where it lists if the neighborhod has one.

Is there some master website that lists HOAs by neighborhood?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:44 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,202,519 times
I know when we were looking for homes, our buyer's agent was able to pull from MLS if a listing was under a HOA and what the annual HOA fee was. From there we could pull up the covenants.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 25,050,184 times
It's usually not HOA's themselves that restrict or prohibit things - those restrictions are put in place by the developer and recorded as a Declaration of Covenants or similar document, which is usually referenced in each deed for properties in the development. The HOA is just the organization of homeowners that is charged with enforcement of the covenants.

Given that the covenants are a recorded document, you should be able to find them through some searching on the relevant Register of Deeds site.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:28 PM

43 posts, read 112,793 times
if you have a realtor they can get the HOA dues and usually a phone number/email from the MLS listing of the house.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:35 PM

6,301 posts, read 16,165,617 times
Subdivisions built after 1978 or so (I'm not sure of the exact year) in Raleigh were required to have an HOA. I would think all if not most HOAs would prohibit masts of any kind. Most seem quite restrictive.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:53 PM

HOAs/community deed restrictions vary greatly. My current one is extremely restrictive. However, the neighborhood down the street is fairly lax and definitely allows masts (as well as boats & RVs, whcih mine does not.)

There's tens of thousands of ham operators throughout the country, and the majority of them are not in the boondocks. The trick is finding a neighborhood in a city that doesn't have a problem with the antennas.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I know when we were looking for homes, our buyer's agent was able to pull from MLS if a listing was under a HOA and what the annual HOA fee was. From there we could pull up the covenants.
I was hoping there was a website that consumers could use themselves.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:55 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,202,519 times
Well I mean, if you could somehow find the names of the HOA management companies, then you could call them and have them email you the covenants, but they don't exactly make it easy. I think most of them would prefer you buy the house first then look at the covenants. I know when we bought our house it was an ordeal getting the complete covenants before buying.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsfa View Post
if you have a realtor they can get the HOA dues and usually a phone number/email from the MLS listing of the house.
Yeah, it looks like we're going to probably have a realtor help us with this. We were hoping to do some of the "legwork" ourselves and not bother a realtor yet. Obviously we'll use a buyer's agent when it comes time to buy, but we haven't enlisted one yet.

Six months ago we were thinking about Pittsboro, but then we decided it was too remote. I guess I didn't want to talk to a realtor until I had a better idea of area.

Can anyone PM me recommendations for a realtor that's familiar with Wake Forest/North Raleigh?

Thanks again!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:22 PM

13,399 posts, read 27,372,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggyLuv View Post
There's tens of thousands of ham operators throughout the country, and the majority of them are not in the boondocks. The trick is finding a neighborhood in a city that doesn't have a problem with the antennas.
What about contacting the Raleigh Amateur Radio Society at RARS.org: Clubs ? Maybe there's a friendly person at the web site who could send you in the right direction.

Otherwise, if it's too difficult in Wake County, why not try properites in the surrounding counties which do not have HOA's? Granville and Franklin Counties are very close to Wake Forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary