Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 07:10 PM

306 posts, read 720,145 times

Advertisements

I have family coming to visit at Thanksgiving and need to find a campground with water and electric that will be open at that time of year. I thought that Falls Lake would have sites available at Holly Point, but that campground closes on November 1.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 06:59 AM

357 posts, read 1,383,986 times
Falls Lake State Rec area also operates Rolling View Campground off of Baptist Rd (I think it's technically Durham, about 10 miles away from Holly Point campground). Rolling View stays open year-round. Each year when my parents come down for Thanksgiving & Christmas, they park their RV at Rolling View. If you ever end up needing them for Christmas though, just note that the campground requires the campground to empty out on Christmas day itself. This is not the case, however, for Thanksgiving day.

To get to Rolling View from Holly Point, head left out of Holly Point camground onto New Light Rd. At the traffic light intersection with 98, turn right onto 98. Go ~5 (check this on mapquest) miles and at Neal Middle School turn right onto Baptist Rd. The road ends several miles up and the campground is at the end of it. Nice campground overall, water, electric & dump stations.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 AM

How late before the gates close in the evenings? Would they actually have to be back at the RV by 6pm?

Old 10-27-2008, 07:20 AM

357 posts, read 1,383,986 times
The N.C. Division of Parks & Recreation (919) 733-4181 should be able to confirm the hours. I do know the gates close early. The website says 6pm for the entire park but I remember them being open until 7pm. Parks & Rec should be able to verify though.

If you can make due with driving them around, what a lot of people do is leave a car parked just inside the gate, so that way if you drop them off after the gate is closed they can easily drive back to their campsite. When my folks come into town they don't actually stay in the RV every night so this doesn't become too much of an issue.

These same rules apply to Jordan Lake, as there is another year-round campground there.

Other options my parents have looked at are a facility near the NC State Fairgrounds (they've never stayed there), although I'm not 100% sure if they have water hookups, and the KOA in Smithfield.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:07 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyboat View Post
The N.C. Division of Parks & Recreation (919) 733-4181 should be able to confirm the hours. I do know the gates close early. The website says 6pm for the entire park but I remember them being open until 7pm. Parks & Rec should be able to verify though.

If you can make due with driving them around, what a lot of people do is leave a car parked just inside the gate, so that way if you drop them off after the gate is closed they can easily drive back to their campsite. When my folks come into town they don't actually stay in the RV every night so this doesn't become too much of an issue.

These same rules apply to Jordan Lake, as there is another year-round campground there.

Other options my parents have looked at are a facility near the NC State Fairgrounds (they've never stayed there), although I'm not 100% sure if they have water hookups, and the KOA in Smithfield.

Usually when we go camping, they lock the gates early, but they give you a code to get in after hours. The KOA in Smithfield does have hook-ups. Here's the website: Smithfield North Carolina Camping, Smithfield Campground in North Carolina - KOA in Smithfield

Old 10-27-2008, 07:47 PM

Looks like they're going to wind up in Durham at an RV park called Birchwood. It doesn't have an early "curfew" so we'll get to spend more time with them, even though they're staying further away than we previously expected. (6pm gate closing is a little too early for us, especially over the holidays:-)

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary