Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2018, 09:02 AM

4,865 posts, read 2,676,734 times

Advertisements

Happy Easter M A!..good to hear from ya..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 12:47 PM

121 posts, read 148,670 times
I was down for Easter and was out last Saturday evening and picked up a nice couple of reds fishing the out going tide in the mangroves a long Muddy bay. I am back down in three weeks and booked a shark trip with Captain Ryan leaving out of Burnt Store - can't wait!

Old 04-05-2018, 03:59 PM

202 posts, read 227,743 times
We put in some time fishing the northern harbor and the mouth of the Peace River. Tried trolling the 41 Bridge, saw thousands of Cow Nosed Rays, bigger black Rays and a few huge sea turtles. There was an abundance of Threadfin which I netted and used as bait. Game Fish... not so much. 76 degree water, hopefully things will start to happen soon.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:32 PM

112 posts, read 146,530 times
Default Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area

I hope it picks up soon too. Going down in a little over a week and doing some off shore past the Boca Pass and some in-shore near Gasparilla

Old 04-06-2018, 04:53 AM

5,175 posts, read 4,949,447 times
I'm hoping to get out next week. In the mean time, my neighbor has been going out daily around Hog Island. Outside of catfish, he hasn't done much. I figure I'll probably head down towards Turtle Bay and try for trout and while I'm in the area troll for some Spanish Macs.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:37 PM

202 posts, read 227,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I'm hoping to get out next week. In the mean time, my neighbor has been going out daily around Hog Island. Outside of catfish, he hasn't done much. I figure I'll probably head down towards Turtle Bay and try for trout and while I'm in the area troll for some Spanish Macs.
I live and fish in the Hog Island, Alligator Bay area, your friend is not alone. Water temperatures have climbed from the high 50's to the high 70's in the past couple of weeks. We have had a major full moon with accompanying spring tides. I'm seeing more life, bait, Mullet etc. so hopefully spring fishing is coming soon.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:55 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Snook fishing around the old trestle at El Jo Bean should, if memory serves me, be warming up soon. The old pier was a great place to catch them until destroyed by fire. Many nights after work were spent on the west side pier enjoying the peace and quiet whether the fish were in the mood to feed or not.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:23 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,467,337 times
good fishing last week in Lemon Bay in the Stump pass area past 17a marker and the flat across where I keep my boat. I must have caught 20 trout-some were pretty good sized 20 plus inches. Caught my first ever Pompano, measured 20 inches tip to fork-those things fight great on light tackle. I use barbless hooks, and due to the fact were in the midst of remodeling and our kitchen is torn up, I ended up releasing everything.

caught a few other odds and ends (ie Lady Fish, small sheepshead)

Using chartruese *** heads 1/16 oz with live shrimp threaded on-fished slow and deep. Gulp baits worked good to when I ran out of shrimp.

Drifting the flats or anchoring near the intercoastal worked on a rising tide

water is pretty clear right now too

Old 04-25-2018, 09:37 AM

112 posts, read 146,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk9gs View Post
I hope it picks up soon too. Going down in a little over a week and doing some off shore past the Boca Pass and some in-shore near Gasparilla
I thought I'd better post how I did.

First trip was on Wednesday, April 25th. We went off shore out of Fisherman's Village. Ended up NW of Boca Pass about 20 miles out. Filled the big cooler with several types of snapper, one keeper red grouper, several misc species (grunts, blue runners, triggerfish, etc.), and one big King. The weather was awesome and had a great time.

The second trip was on Friday, April 27th, and we went out of Eldred's Marina into Gasparilla Sound, about a mile or so past the swing bridge. Immediately caught a bunch of trout, some on the big side. Nearly every cast we got hooked up. Using pilchards.

Then the Spanish Maks arrived and we caught quite a few. The dolphins also showed up and surrounded the boat and even followed us when we moved. A few of the trout and SP Maks flipped off the hook near the boat and the dolphins made short work of them. We had to be very careful and get the fish in the boat quickly as the dolphins we pretty aggressive at times.

I hooked one BIG Mak...the kind that takes 100 yds off the reel in a second or two. I finally got him stopped and turned around. When he was about 20 ft from the boat the water boiled up and an 8+ foot shark took him. All of this was in about 3-4 feet of water. Made for some very exciting fishing

Even saw some Tarpon tailing but they stayed well away from the boat.

Fantastic time on both trips.

-Gary

Old 04-25-2018, 11:42 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,467,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk9gs View Post
I thought I'd better post how I did.

First trip was on Wednesday, April 25th. We went off shore out of Fisherman's Village. Ended up NW of Boca Pass about 20 miles out. Filled the big cooler with several types of snapper, one keeper red grouper, several misc species (grunts, blue runners, triggerfish, etc.), and one big King. The weather was awesome and had a great time.

The second trip was on Friday, April 27th, and we went out of Eldred's Marina into Gasparilla Sound, about a mile or so past the swing bridge. Immediately caught a bunch of trout, some on the big side. Nearly every cast we got hooked up. Using pilchards.

Then the Spanish Maks arrived and we caught quite a few. The dolphins also showed up and surrounded the boat and even followed us when we moved. A few of the trout and SP Maks flipped off the hook near the boat and the dolphins made short work of them. We had to be very careful and get the fish in the boat quickly as the dolphins we pretty aggressive at times.

I hooked one BIG Mak...the kind that takes 100 yds off the reel in a second or two. I finally got him stopped and turned around. When he was about 20 ft from the boat the water boiled up and an 8+ foot shark took him. All of this was in about 3-4 feet of water. Made for some very exciting fishing

Even saw some Tarpon tailing but they stayed well away from the boat.

Fantastic time on both trips.

-Gary
wow sounds like quite the day!
Next time out I'm going to head up to Gaparilla Pass for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte