Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 06:07 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Don't wish time away...just like a camping trip, the planning is half the fun. I remember when PG was 1yr9mos away for us...seems like yesterday.
I agree tell myself that a lot so I just keep booking more trips down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 07:13 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,304 times
Ok Bill where are all the fish? I know you have some secret pics

Old 11-23-2015, 08:39 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,470 times
Really tough conditions forecast through Friday. Hope to get out in the canal for snapper Wednesday, and maybe try to get around the corner and upriver for snook on Friday; heard cobia are strong on the East wall flats, but just not up for taking a beating trying to get them.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:34 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times
I tired pretty hard from my dock yesterday. Surprised to land one Cechlid this late into fall but he must have been the lone holdout. While sitting on my deck chair in full shade, looking out into the low but incoming tidal water in full sun, I saw the unmistakable silhouette of an upper slot snook on the flat across from me. I cast my twitch stick past him and slowly cranked it back but to no avail. Was a beautiful sight, nonetheless.

Yes the wind sucks. Heading to AZ for the week. My guess I won't miss out on any fishing weather. Hoping these cooler temps bring the trout back in sufficient numbers. North FL is killing it right now on trout.

Enjoy your Thanksgivng, my fellow anglers. Be thankful we get to fish these truly special rivers, harbor and waterways.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:52 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
I tired pretty hard from my dock yesterday. Surprised to land one Cechlid this late into fall but he must have been the lone holdout. While sitting on my deck chair in full shade, looking out into the low but incoming tidal water in full sun, I saw the unmistakable silhouette of an upper slot snook on the flat across from me. I cast my twitch stick past him and slowly cranked it back but to no avail. Was a beautiful sight, nonetheless.

Yes the wind sucks. Heading to AZ for the week. My guess I won't miss out on any fishing weather. Hoping these cooler temps bring the trout back in sufficient numbers. North FL is killing it right now on trout.

Enjoy your Thanksgivng, my fellow anglers. Be thankful we get to fish these truly special rivers, harbor and waterways.
Enjoy AZ, Bill. Do you ever have breakfast at my favorite spot, The Breakfast Club, in Scottsdale? The ranchero pork burrito with poached eggs is killer. I expect trout action will be hot when you get back.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:17 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,125 times
Was down last week. Lots of short sheeps and some nice snappers from the dock. Couple snappers were almost a foot long. Also a couple 'mystery fish' that took the live shrimp on the heavy Liveliner setup. both dove for some underwater structure in our canal and broke me off.

Hit the canal inlet at Park Beach and Marion (bass inlet?) Saturday AM. Outgoing tide. Casting my Zara with no luck. Then I hear what sounds like waves breaking up the canal. I peak around the mangroves and the water is erupting with hungry jacks. I cast my plug and hook up immediately. Medium sized jack was kind enough to stay in the channel. Man they fight like crazy. Got him to shore and he released himself for me. Probably close to 2 feet.

Watched the school work its way out the inlet channel (following the channel markers!) where they set up on the southwest corner of FV and it looked like they joined up with a school of tarpon and a flock of gulls and a few pelicans. They moved around but not far and not close enough for me to reach.

Was surprised that two boats went right past the melee

Mike

Old 11-30-2015, 06:34 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Good stuff Mike. Love when the schools of jacks crush baitfish pushing them up into the mangroves. Good fighters with a funky smell. Went out with my brother today around 9. Went down by the Boca pass. Little chop with a nice breeze. We were going to anchor up by the lighthouse but had tida against wind and it was a bit snotty. Went up next to the Boca bridge anchored up and had some fun. 3 gag groupers, 3 sheepshead and about 20 snappers. Ran out of shrimp and went to the Gasparilla Inn for lunch and a few cold ones. Nice ride back up the harbor to Punta Gorda as the wind laid down.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:41 PM

493 posts, read 636,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Good stuff Mike. Love when the schools of jacks crush baitfish pushing them up into the mangroves. Good fighters with a funky smell. Went out with my brother today around 9. Went down by the Boca pass. Little chop with a nice breeze. We were going to anchor up by the lighthouse but had tida against wind and it was a bit snotty. Went up next to the Boca bridge anchored up and had some fun. 3 gag groupers, 3 sheepshead and about 20 snappers. Ran out of shrimp and went to the Gasparilla Inn for lunch and a few cold ones. Nice ride back up the harbor to Punta Gorda as the wind laid down.
Sounds like a great day Bobby! I notice how you always fit lunch and a few cold ones into your fishing trips. Awesome!

Old 12-01-2015, 07:19 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Ray Mark View Post
Sounds like a great day Bobby! I notice how you always fit lunch and a few cold ones into your fishing trips. Awesome!
Lmao, I see you picked up on that. I like to explore so we fish for 2/3 hours and stop for a late lunch in different spots.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:13 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times
Gonna get after it this morning in the Myakka until noon or the winds chase us out. Will report out tonight. Not forecast for great biting conditions but will try. If any of you do Twitter or Periscope, I'm going to start doing some live broadcasts on the water from time to time. Follow me @wcscully. If you down load the Periscope app and allow push notifications, you'll get a note when I'm broadcasting live. Could be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte