Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 07:51 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times

Advertisements

You look a little green, MA; are you sure they didn't plug something they shouldn't have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 03:31 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
You look a little green, MA; are you sure they didn't plug something they shouldn't have?
Thank goodness I'm cleared the debris that clogging my bilge. Nope, that just green with envy for those who are still able to wet a line.

Thanks SR35. Would gladly do it. Hearing Reds are really plentiful out there right now.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:58 PM

So in the hospital my overnight nurse was a guy named Mark, who not only took great care of me in my time of great need, we shared a lot of conversation about our mutual love of fishing. He joined this fishing forum and tomorrow we are going fishing. I'm going to drive my boat and he's going to man the trolling rods as we troll a few hours in my canal for snook. With one arm today I got the dock and boat all cleaned up and ready to roll.

#snookinthemorningcardinalsintheafternoon

Old 09-19-2015, 03:27 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
MA. Can u share with this rookie and others the name of a few trolling lures as I will be trying the same thing in a few weeks in Alligator Creek. Thanks

Old 09-19-2015, 04:26 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
MA. Can u share with this rookie and others the name of a few trolling lures as I will be trying the same thing in a few weeks in Alligator Creek. Thanks
Bobby when you get down call Fishin' Frank's and find out there next meeting. I have heard you will learn a lot.
And Bill I'm sure would love to give advice.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Bobby when you get down call Fishin' Frank's and find out there next meeting. I have heard you will learn a lot.
And Bill I'm sure would love to give advice.
Frank's meetings are the 2nd Tues and Wed of each month at Luigi's. They ask that you call the shop to "reserve" a spot - nobody checks, they're just trying to keep a handle on attendance. It's always entertaining and informative. Tues is $10 buffet, and Wed is half price pasta night.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:49 PM

Happy to share...as much of it was learned in Franks shop and at those Fishin Club meetings.
If you're only going to own one lure for in shore fishing, get the Storm Twitch Stick in 3.5" and white color. You can troll it or cast/retrieve from docks and shore. It has caught the following for me: Trout, Snook, Spanish Mackeral, Mangrove Snapper, Ladyfish, Bonnetthead Shark, a live Blue Crab and even an under slot Redfish on the troll. My personal best 36" Snook was caught on that very lure. Great trolling lure just outside the sandbars on the east and west walls of Charlotte Harbor.

The only downside of it is the hooks are fairly fragile and I've broke many trying to release. Hard to find replacement trebles that size and the smallest out there negatively affected the action. I found a solution by replacing the broken hooks with 1/0 single circle hooks. Easier release too.

Another good one for trolling 5-6 foot is the Rapala XR8. Many colors out there...I use black with chartreuse/silver.

These are the two rigs we will use tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Old 09-20-2015, 10:14 AM

No one wished us luck. We struck out and you're all to blame.

We still had fun but not a single hit anywhere in my canal system for 4 hours. Trolled the above mentioned plugs and a silver spoon. Nada. Was just great to be on the boats.

Power pole failed me. Had to send my new friend overboard to put it in the stowed position. Pretty sure the root cause is a corroded fuse relay. Vs hold be easy replacement. I've heard this happens on flats boats, given the amount of seawater entering the bilge.

Headed to watch the Cardinals v Bears game at Buffalo Wings and Rings.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:29 AM

"Send my new friend overboard" might be kind of a self-limiting situation :-))

In-line fuses seem to be designed to prevent you getting too cocky about everything on your boat working.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:42 PM

Your Cards more than made up for getting skunked trolling MA. My Bears are an embarrassment. I should say my former Bears - I burned my Bears tie and sweatshirt sometime during the Trestman Dark Ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte