Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 07:04 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,417 times

Advertisements

Good time at Fishin Franks monthly meeting/seminar. Met Macgregor Sailor and another guy who I've invited to join our forum. I'm going to go out tomorrow morning and put my lessons to work on the trout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 04:36 AM

413 posts, read 828,223 times
I have had some luck with just a small hook and small pieces of bread also chum with little bits of bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Ask Frank tonight. You CAN catch them with a rod and he will fill you in on what to use. Usually some type of corn meal and a very small gold hook.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:06 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
I more than doubled my previous fishing knowledge , In Just One Night. OK so I have never been a fisherman. In The Past when I caught fish, they were as surprised as I was ... But last nights Fishin Franks Meeting was GREAT! I meet Bill / Mr. Mako and a couple others and learned a lot about catching Sea Trout and some basic fishing knowledge and skills. Frank showed / taught us, how to make a Trout *** and All the Materials were FREE! I will as time permits try the bread and even corn flour bread balls for those mullet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dave View Post
I have had some luck with just a small hook and small pieces of bread also chum with little bits of bread.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:02 PM

Launched at 6:15 and searched for trout all morning, in vain. Okay, I caught one little baby off of the jug creek shoals but searched all around there and even ventured up way east of Useppa in the pine Island Sound. Nada. That rig we built last night was pretty cool and I used it all day. It did snag and tangle on itself a few times but I believe it will catch trout.

Spent the afternoon in Placida Harbor and it paid it off with a couple of really nice Pompanooooooo.
Caught excessive numbers of Jacks and Blues as well, but at least we were catching fish.

Beautiful weather and light chop in the ICW. Gotta go...time to eat Pompanoooooooo.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-image.jpg  

Old 11-15-2014, 06:08 PM

Went back out today for a late day, spontaneous, solo short trip. Left my house at 4:15 PM, launched the boat at Placida Park ramp at 4:35. Had a big bluefish on the line at 4:45. Followed that with 3 jacks but I wanted
Pompano. Wasn't to be today. The wind was whipping on the incoming tide but my iPilot held the virtual anchor in place. Love that thing. I pulled up at 5:50 and headed for the ramp. Was on the trailer at 6 and home by 6:20. Wife had chicken fajitas ready to eat at 6:30. Not a bad consolation prize. After dinner, flushed the Merc and put everything away.

Football tomorrow, working in Rockville, MD next week. Thanksgiving week will head for Key West via the KW Express.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:43 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
....Football tomorrow, working in Rockville, MD next week. Thanksgiving week will head for Key West via the KW Express.
Bring warm clothes. We just arrived in MD two days ago and it's chilly!

Old 11-18-2014, 05:40 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,669 times
Default Nov 8-15 fishing report

Hey All,

Just got back from our semi annual trip to North Port-was able to get a few days fishing in. I fish in my Hobie kayak or off the beach/shore. Did pretty good (for me) seems like I catch a few more fish every time I come down. The fishing is so different than the fly fishing in Montana that I am used to-but very fun-love it! The local fishing bait store in NP is under new ownership and does a really good job for those living far away from Fishin Franks-I like supporting them

Home - Fine Bait & Tackle

They made me a good deal on a refurbished Penn spinning reel, and filled up it with 15 lb braided line. As you know, prevailing winds were out of the N/NE all week and made for pretty rough surf conditions.

My modest fishing report

Day 1: Fished off the bank on the ICW side at Stump Pass for a couple of hours (surf was way too rough). Live shrimp produced 4 nice Sheeps Head and a Jack Cravelle

Day 2: Launched my Hobie at the spot on Myakahatchee Creek in NP (Chamberlain) and peddled around in my Mirage for a couple of hours (late in the day)-very slow fishing, only caught one Mangrove Snapper-still a productive outing for me getting used to the tides and currents etc

Day 3: Launched again at the same spot and kayaked down to where the main channel of the Myakka River starts (I think). Picked up 2 nice redfish along the mangroves (trolled live shrimp on a chartruse *** head They were just below the slot limit-but it was great fun catching them. There were some big fish surfacing/rolling (Snook I think or even small Tarpon??) but could not get them to bite. Saw one gator too.

Day 4: Shore fishing on Gasparilla in the channel by the light house for a couple of hours. Used my left over shrimp (on a chartruse *** head) which I had froze. Lots of action here-4 Sheepshead (a couple were keepers), a 24 inch lady fish (my first one). I had a nice Permit on but he got off just as I brought him up to the shore. Also missed many bites

The lady fish fought like crazy-I was very impressed-jumping like a rainbow/steelhead. I pinched down my barbs and released every thing I caught-just cause our trip was so short-

Good times in SW FL-can't wait till 2016 when we will have the house paid off and be there full time! Love the area

Then it will be time to buy a boat

Cheers!!

Chris from Montana

Old 11-19-2014, 08:11 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
Hey All,

Just got back from our semi annual trip to North Port-was able to get a few days fishing in. I fish in my Hobie kayak or off the beach/shore. Did pretty good (for me) seems like I catch a few more fish every time I come down. The fishing is so different than the fly fishing in Montana that I am used to-but very fun-love it! The local fishing bait store in NP is under new ownership and does a really good job for those living far away from Fishin Franks-I like supporting them

Home - Fine Bait & Tackle

They made me a good deal on a refurbished Penn spinning reel, and filled up it with 15 lb braided line. As you know, prevailing winds were out of the N/NE all week and made for pretty rough surf conditions.

My modest fishing report

Day 1: Fished off the bank on the ICW side at Stump Pass for a couple of hours (surf was way too rough). Live shrimp produced 4 nice Sheeps Head and a Jack Cravelle

Day 2: Launched my Hobie at the spot on Myakahatchee Creek in NP (Chamberlain) and peddled around in my Mirage for a couple of hours (late in the day)-very slow fishing, only caught one Mangrove Snapper-still a productive outing for me getting used to the tides and currents etc

Day 3: Launched again at the same spot and kayaked down to where the main channel of the Myakka River starts (I think). Picked up 2 nice redfish along the mangroves (trolled live shrimp on a chartruse *** head They were just below the slot limit-but it was great fun catching them. There were some big fish surfacing/rolling (Snook I think or even small Tarpon??) but could not get them to bite. Saw one gator too.

Day 4: Shore fishing on Gasparilla in the channel by the light house for a couple of hours. Used my left over shrimp (on a chartruse *** head) which I had froze. Lots of action here-4 Sheepshead (a couple were keepers), a 24 inch lady fish (my first one). I had a nice Permit on but he got off just as I brought him up to the shore. Also missed many bites

The lady fish fought like crazy-I was very impressed-jumping like a rainbow/steelhead. I pinched down my barbs and released every thing I caught-just cause our trip was so short-

Good times in SW FL-can't wait till 2016 when we will have the house paid off and be there full time! Love the area

Then it will be time to buy a boat

Cheers!!

Chris from Montana
Thanks for the great report. The experience you're picking up will really pay off when get down here and get the boat. Even then, a kayak or shore fishing is still sometimes the right approach.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:57 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Thanks for the great report. The experience you're picking up will really pay off when get down here and get the boat. Even then, a kayak or shore fishing is still sometimes the right approach.
Thanks-Last year I did take a guided trip out into the Harbor for a half day-the guide was all about using light tackle,*** heads and live shrimp. We did catch some fish that day. Tried a few different lures this time as well.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:17 PM

697 posts, read 1,169,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Bring warm clothes. We just arrived in MD two days ago and it's chilly!
Why would you go NORTH!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte