Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 04:01 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times

Advertisements

I don't know anyone who uses chum blocks in shore here. We are often in 2' of water and moving from place to place finding the fish. I use a bait slinging bat to chum the mangroves for redfish sometimes. Off shore reef fishing, yes, frozen blocks are common.

By the way, saw your post about Looking to buy here. Good decision. The area is wonderful and the Fishing is better. I recommend you take your own boat rides to analyze bridges and ride out time. Opinions vary and you'll be glad if you form your own.

Welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 06:49 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Went out ahead of the real bad wind and brought home what I sought:
Winner, winner...Pompano Dinner
Very nice. My favorite on the grill....well, maybe second after cobia.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:57 PM

Give me some grilling instructions on those, WPC. I'm going after a couple more tomorrow.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:46 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
Less is more and when its not its its just spices on white flesh..
Quote:
Give me some grilling instructions on those, WPC. I'm going after a couple more tomorrow.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Less is more and when its not its its just spices on white flesh..
Yeah I usually just fillet and broil or bake with a lit bit of Everglades seasoning but WPC told me how to gut and grill whole my lane snapper last summer and they were fabulous.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah I usually just fillet and broil or bake with a lit bit of Everglades seasoning but WPC told me how to gut and grill whole my lane snapper last summer and they were fabulous.
Even easier than the snapper, since you can't scale a pompano. Just remove head and guts, brush a olive oil, sprinkle with your choice of seasoning - I use just coarse salt and pepper. Hot grill for 8-10 min per side depending on size. I just throw mine on a plate, peel off the skin, and sprinkle w plenty of lemon. If you want to be real fancy for company, you can lift off each filet using a pancake flipper and butter knife (patience pays). Whip up some beurre blanc, add a teaspoon of very small capers.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:37 AM

Thanks. Kept them on ice overnight to wait for your reply. Have them all prepped in the fridge for the grill tomorrow night. Tonight is football, pizza and wings. But not before I take my visiting from AZ 27 year old daughter out to catch a few fish. Will post results later tonight.

I know the wind report is ugly. Currently blowing 10-18 along the ICW near Placida. I'm staying close to the ramp. Wish me tight lines!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Kept them on ice overnight to wait for your reply. Have them all prepped in the fridge for the grill tomorrow night. Tonight is football, pizza and wings. But not before I take my visiting from AZ 27 year old daughter out to catch a few fish. Will post results later tonight.

I know the wind report is ugly. Currently blowing 10-18 along the ICW near Placida. I'm staying close to the ramp. Wish me tight lines!
Good luck. Our daughters arrive tonight, we'll drift Boca or Alligator Reef tomorrow,
see if we can pick up a gag before the season closes; if time permits, we'll work our way north on the East Wall and see if we can pick up some trout (or maybe pompano?).

Old 11-23-2014, 01:29 PM

No pompano out there today but tons of Spanish Mackerel in Little Gasoarilla Pass. Lots of undersized Gags from the 32' hole, biggest at 15" but tons of fun for my daughter to feel them pull. Used the iPilot to sit atop the hole and pull out fish after fish on the in coming tide as the drift boats shook their heads each time they'd pass by. Also caught undersize mangos.

Here's a shot of my daughter with the Span Mac of the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-image.jpg  

Old 11-24-2014, 05:22 AM

202 posts, read 227,552 times
Quote:
I don't know anyone who uses chum blocks in shore here. We are often in 2' of water and moving from place to place finding the fish. I use a bait slinging bat to chum the mangroves for redfish sometimes. Off shore reef fishing, yes, frozen blocks are common.

By the way, saw your post about Looking to buy here. Good decision. The area is wonderful and the Fishing is better. I recommend you take your own boat rides to analyze bridges and ride out time. Opinions vary and you'll be glad if you form your own.

Welcome!
Thanks for the tips, I did as you suggest the last time I bought on the water. The next time I am in the area I will rent a boat and search around. In my present neighborhood I have deep water access, Marinas and no bridges. On the other side of the areas main road it's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte