Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 04:13 PM

51,635 posts, read 37,375,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
I've noticed this. I'm a man and I've been approached by all sorts of people on the street. Tourists asking for directions and usually older white/men asking about being black. Also lots of black people.

The only time a young woman has approached me was two teenage girls to ask to make a call. What I find interesting however is that women in their 20s have never approached me randomly to ask me anything.

I'm not complaining about a lack of female attention. I don't really crave sex and already have a partner. I just find it curious why as one of my friends also reiterated, women in their 20s are the least likely to approach strangers for directions, help, normal chit chat that older people aren't afraid to do.

Is it not wanting sexual harrasment?
I think part of it is not wanting the guy to take it as an invitation to hit on her, but I think some is also due to younger people being more inclined to approach people their own age if they need something. Middle agers are invisible to them.

Where on earth do you live that being black is such a novelty that strangers approach you to ask you about it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 10:26 PM

3,615 posts, read 1,694,056 times
Quote:
I've noticed this. I'm a man and I've been approached by all sorts of people on the street. Tourists asking for directions and usually older white/men asking about being black. Also lots of black people.

The only time a young woman has approached me was two teenage girls to ask to make a call. What I find interesting however is that women in their 20s have never approached me randomly to ask me anything.

I'm not complaining about a lack of female attention. I don't really crave sex and already have a partner. I just find it curious why as one of my friends also reiterated, women in their 20s are the least likely to approach strangers for directions, help, normal chit chat that older people aren't afraid to do.

Yes it is. Young women in their 20's get hit on constantly and many men don't get the picture at all that they are hitting on them.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:43 PM

15,290 posts, read 17,839,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Is this true that young women don't talk to unknown men like they did in the past? does the original poster have any statistics to back up this claim? I doubt his anecdotes are the rule.
I have trouble with generalizations like this. Yes, young people, regardless of gender, have very minimal social skills. I remember being that age. Approaching a stranger was a difficult thing. Many adults never outgrew the problem, particularly if they live in large cities.

I sometimes make small talk with people in boring situations, like waiting to check out in a grocery store. Some people enjoy the conversation, some people act like I just grew a second head. It has nothing to do with age or male/female, but generally the older people are the more capable they are at holding a conversation.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:33 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,856,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
me and my boy was on the 't' in boston a few years ago trying to buy a charlie card in one of the stations (we couldnt tell the difference between a charlie card and a charlie ticket ...).
a young caucasion woman goes to the screen next to ours and we asked for help. she totally ignores us.

i took it as young woman are taught not to talk to strange men on the subway (not even to say sorry, cant help you).
Maybe she was also just a butt.

The Charlie kiosks are complicated, some jerky people look down on the tourists and will go out of their way to not help them.

But maybe she was nervous.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:06 PM

224 posts, read 232,681 times
Quote:

Societal programming is increasingly toward younger women (whether attractive or...um...less) waiting for people to give them attention.

(Because there's so many guys out there nowadays willing to give anything younger that moves such attention, most younger women already get it in heapfuls virtually wherever they go, so it's just not something they're gonna feel the need to do with some random guy on the street. The older women, on the other hand, will tend to seek out the attention because it's just not something men trip over themselves to give to them anymore...And the men, well, it's just guys being friendly to guys.)

Old 08-24-2019, 09:22 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,352,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Older white men asking about being black? Very strange. Do tell.
I don't understand what that means either.

Regarding about women in their 20s seldom talk to strangers, probably because most of them often go in groups together. They talk with each other and are busy with their own business. They have cell phones with GPS. If they need to know something, they just look up Google for any information. The 20 something were brought up and taught not to talk to strangers.

Older women/men tend to be "old fashioned" still. In the "old" days people liked to talk to each other, to neighbours or anyone in the markets, etc., …
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology