Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 12:18 AM

260 posts, read 130,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Plenty of people still need to ask directions. For one thing, not everyone has a smart phone. Or they didn't bring it with them. Or the directions aren't clear. I just went to an event downtown today, but got disoriented between the parking garage and the event venue, and had to ask directions. It's normal.
Okay, a poster asked why younger women don't come up to strangers to ask directions, and I can say that almost everyone has a phone! Who wouldn't bring their phone with them? Whether you are ubering, as another poster said, or driving in a car, there are not too many of us that will pull the car over to find some man we can go ask for directions. It's not needed and it's not convenient. It also isn't very normal considering all the apps to direct you where you want to go. You can also use Google maps to remember where you parked your car, "save your parking" in the app.

I don't know about you, but if I don't know an area, I don't leave my car to go ask a strange man anything on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 12:20 AM

1 posts, read 269 times
Smile Some personal observations from a woman.

I first must just state that I only observed your query, and did not purview others response. I wished to provide, if so warranted, my own, as well as what I and some of my peers may currently...especially in the current social climate of our society, which may be somewhat of a contributing factor to your query.
Let me first express that I myself , have been in this world for some time... I am also, even as a woman who came of age, as well as worked for many years in various industries, in which the so called status quo of the time was ..mostly not of a tremendous concern to me. Indeed, there were always certain persons of both sexes whom were ...at the minimum...often offensive, etc...however, they were as such to many persons. Now, let us jump to our current social , political, academic , cultural venue. I am quite certain, you , myself, and many others have noticed some substantial changes. Let us, try to leave these concerns alone for a moment just to attempt to provide ...well , in my personal opinion, perspective and ,yes, possibly..highly subjective observation....to try to , humbly...suggest ...some other manner of which I as well as other women, women similar to my own age, etc...have become highly distressed, violated and disturbed ..recently in our own lives. Possibly, the fact that many of us have become more informed, educated as well as cognitive development and less silence among our academicians, behavioural scientists, as well as increasingly study into conduct disorders, deviant, antisocial, dark triad personality disorders ; with the expansive research into many of these venues. Now, I am certainly not dismissing your particular concerns, nor at all even desiring to mitigate your experience. What I wish to , with all due respect, is to provide..from my own experience as well as personal study, that ...putting aside the current culture wars...( I do hope you may be able to comprehend what I am implying by "culture wars"), due to a highly small, and yes..it is small, as well as rather difficult for almost most women...aka, the sort of women most decent men are sincerely interested in, ...well, due to these most reprehensible...small , yet highly deceptive, manipulative, evil...sorts of men, whom also will use mechanisms of which they have mastered to make them initially appealing to ...the women of character they are most often to target, or as they have , in their immoral, rationalized, erroneously justified...., as ..serving their most depraved wants, as they also are most often incapable of consideration of how their actions , conduct, impulsive compulsions etc.... impact upon others...usually the most innocent, often vulnerable,or even some rather astute persons who , due to their rather ubiquitous, well rehearsed, and ability to mimic...again, mimic...not sincerely engage socially as most persons, are undoubtedly becoming a rather substantial threat to many women in our society currently. I also have observed that the invariable loss of communal society has contributed to some of this, and ....well, upon a completely other purview....the manner, again, in my opinion, of how much of the economic , political, leadership...among the entire continuum of political, social , policies, justice, ...do not appear to reward genuine integrity, fair play, honour, and....to just for a bit of what may also consider , perhaps still a bit of insight into ones character...., possibly....some semblance of what would currently be considered a puritanical vestige. That being , a person who ...., I know this is highly dangerous for me to even write..or suggest...but, a possible leader...or , even potential person whom may seek any form of manner to serve ....that they may have lived their life without ....multiple marriages, divorce, sexual harassment, etc..... .
I recognize that I have rambled here , with poor use of grammar. I do apologize for this. All of this is currently a highly important, traumatic issue I am currently having to navigate myself.
I may be able to provide some aspects of insight into how to assist you...aka, the good guys, with some of these obstacles. I myself have, well, to put it simply....followed a trajectory in my own journey, of which I had be successful in .... finally determining, ...or perhaps just learning, living, hurting and then discovered that ...the man I did meet, marry have a family with and ...am still happily been married to for over twenty years...as well as we each had never been previously married...and, I would shout it everywhere...especially even more now....what an absolutely amazing manner a relationship, marriage etc I am now so, so privileged to have, how I have so many people within my life , community ...who comment to myself about how fortunate I am...as well as how ,I have recognized how we,have arrived here currently. Indeed, there were many concerns along our lives....yet, there were also certain kinds of insight, manners of lifestyle, choices, sacrifice, lots and lots of learning from mistake after mistakes...as well as an assortment of other little gems that were to become incorporated...even in subtle ways...to assist our relationship, daughter, community..etc.
I do believe though, that as odd as this may sound...the so called ..diamonds in the rough...doesn't matter the particular gender, yet , the character....the intrinsic, soul..spirt, certain kinds of less than obvious personal traits, but those less than noticed...yet, more silently, less discernible....aspects of the. Whole of the person ...was what was to ....yes....finally...after lots and lots and lots of frogs........was to ...eventually lead me to recognize...well , as I would suggest today.....Gratitude.
I grant to you success in your journey. I do very well Know it is very, very frustrating, difficult, painful, ....
I fact...even some of the most considered attractive, successful ...or at least , what others may consider them to be as....also do have to endure as much....that is ...if...they are or have finally become aware of what is of most important ......and that is not always what many may currently deem to be too impressive.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:30 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,768,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
I've noticed this. I'm a man and I've been approached by all sorts of people on the street. Tourists asking for directions and usually older white/men asking about being black. Also lots of black people.

The only time a young woman has approached me was two teenage girls to ask to make a call. What I find interesting however is that women in their 20s have never approached me randomly to ask me anything.

I'm not complaining about a lack of female attention. I don't really crave sex and already have a partner. I just find it curious why as one of my friends also reiterated, women in their 20s are the least likely to approach strangers for directions, help, normal chit chat that older people aren't afraid to do.

Is it not wanting sexual harrasment?
Because they are the age demographic most likely to be harmed by a stranger, besides children.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,318,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
And batteries never run out, service is never down, and phones never get lost.
Spent two hours on the train today and I have to say that in my city at least, batteries must never run out or phones must never get lost because 100% of the commuters were glued to their phones at least for most of the journey. Last week the train was delayed for a full forty-five minutes. No-one discussed the delay, no-one seemed to look bothered, all was peaceful and quiet as they just continued playing with their phones. Seems it is an excellent method of crowd control but perhaps the young women, here at least, do not know how to converse with anyone anymore, much less ask for directions.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:59 AM

1,347 posts, read 948,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allison7 View Post
I would be suspicious of someone approaching me in a parking lot with a vague question like that. No one needs to ask directions anymore, and I'm not going to take the chance when I'm alone in a parking lot trying to make it to my car. I'd hop into my car and wouldn't wait to find out which it is. Better safe than sorry, because there just aren't that many people asking for directions anymore. Strip mall stores have addresses on them, or they can call the store directly from the app for directions.
Ummm, actually, yes, these people *were* asking for directions. Phones are not 100% reliable to get you to your exact destination and sadly addresses/businesses are not always clearly marked. I've been on the other end of this as well, searching for the place even though my highly technologically advanced phone says I'm already there (most recently, it was a tiny door in the corner that led to a suite of offices, took me almost 10 minutes to find it). I'm as wary as the next person when it comes to strangers approaching and I'm on guard (and I'm sure it shows, I don't have a poker face), but so far there have not been nefarious intentions and it would have been ridiculous for me to turn around and run to my car.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Ummm, actually, yes, these people *were* asking for directions. Phones are not 100% reliable to get you to your exact destination and sadly addresses/businesses are not always clearly marked. I've been on the other end of this as well, searching for the place even though my highly technologically advanced phone says I'm already there (most recently, it was a tiny door in the corner that led to a suite of offices, took me almost 10 minutes to find it). I'm as wary as the next person when it comes to strangers approaching and I'm on guard (and I'm sure it shows, I don't have a poker face), but so far there have not been nefarious intentions and it would have been ridiculous for me to turn around and run to my car.
I wouldn't say it never happens we need to ask someone for assistance, but it's the exception rather than the rule today to ask for directions on the street. Most apps are detailed, most businesses are marked. When it isn't, you can dial the place directly from the app. We seldom talk to strangers on the street, because there really isn't a need to. Safety is always a concern and that is more of a reason than thinking they are going to be persistent about dating us, like some have suggested. That's just loopy.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:01 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
Quote:

We seldom talk to strangers on the street, because there really isn't a need to. Safety is always a concern and that is more of a reason than thinking they are going to be persistent about dating us, like some have suggested. That's just loopy.
Because you haven't yet experienced something doesn't mean it never happens.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Because you haven't yet experienced something doesn't mean it never happens.
The man on the street didn't select the woman who walked up to him, because she walked up to him for directions. He immediately starts talking to her (not allowing her to walk away) and insists on dating her? You're right, I haven't experienced it. Safety is the concern. Rape is real, "forced dating" is not.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:24 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
Quote:
The man on the street didn't select the woman who walked up to him, because she walked up to him for directions. He immediately starts talking to her (not allowing her to walk away) and insists on dating her? You're right, I haven't experienced it. Safety is the concern. Rape is real, "forced dating" is not.
Forced dating? No one has said that.

Ok, so you've never been hit on by a stranger. Again, the fact that YOU've never experienced something doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:29 AM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Okay, a poster asked why younger women don't come up to strangers to ask directions, and I can say that almost everyone has a phone! Who wouldn't bring their phone with them? Whether you are ubering, as another poster said, or driving in a car, there are not too many of us that will pull the car over to find some man we can go ask for directions. It's not needed and it's not convenient. It also isn't very normal considering all the apps to direct you where you want to go. You can also use Google maps to remember where you parked your car, "save your parking" in the app.

I don't know about you, but if I don't know an area, I don't leave my car to go ask a strange man anything on the street.
I agree, that in the context of young women, it's far less likely they'd have to ask directions of anyone. I stated that earlier. That probably sums up the answer to the OP's question, anyway; technology obviates the need for young women to approach strangers about directions, the time of day, or much of anything else, lol, so he shouldn't take it personally or project "me too" moments onto the question.

Have we heard from the OP since he started the thread? It would be interesting to know his thoughts, at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology