Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:11 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,556,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
I think a good chunk of the world is in competition for that title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 09:14 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,878,511 times
Generalizations are seldom true. Even overweight people may eat a healthy diet, just as skinny people (like me) don't necessarily do so.

Years ago at college (uh...many years ago) the roommate I'd first been assigned was very heavy. She was much shorter than I was, so maybe she was technically obese. In any event, we often ate together at the cafeteria, and I packed in much more than she did. I was also the one going to the 24-hr snack bar for grilled cheese, fries, and pizza. She'd always say she "hated me" (she was kidding), and we knew why. I often think of that poor kid, today.

I'm still like that. I've never been a "snacker," but I eat like a field hand, and so do DH and our kids. All we have to do is look at our family albums. Sometimes, that's the way it is. I've often said, though, that being thin alone does not mean that one's healthy. Surely it's great not to strain the heart with excess weight, but there are other coronary artery diseases (and other illnesses) that can ensue from bad dietary habits. Also, while it's healthy to be thin due to eating a spartan diet, it's not healthy to be thin simply because one has a fast metabolism.

One never knows the true story behind people's weight issues.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,031,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I've lived here nearly 14 years and have seen the changes. In the beginning I noticed there were plenty of overweight people and some obese. Now I'm seeing grossly and morbidly obese people. At one point Scottish kids had a higher percentage of obesity than even American kids. Of course, I'm basically seeing what it's like in Scotland, the unhealthiest country in Europe. Besides fast food there's all the chippies, the deep fried pizzas, the other junk food and all the booze. There more and more rubbish food in the shops, but not nearly as much as the US.
I've been in the US nearly as long as you've been over there. Scotland does have a reputation for unhealthy habits and I will have to take your word on it as I've never been. Is that not just in the poorer parts of Glasgow though? I really don't see as much obesity in London or southeast England. All I know is that my diet over there would cost me less and there are more opportunities to walk or take mass transit.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,103,507 times
What do I think of most fat people? To be honest, that they lack self-control, willpower, and discipline, unless of course it's for an obvious medical reason. I think a lot of them are past the stage of denial and fully on board with "acceptance" of their weight, and our culture has made it more acceptable to be obese that it used to be. It's costing us in medical care, quality of life, and a lot of areas that can't be measured (unlike people's waistlines). Of course the excessively pro-capitalist government and media are partly to blame, but anyone with an ounce (or pound, or ton as it may be) of desire and an internet connection or access to a library can learn all they need to know about nutrition and how to lose weight and choose a healthier lifestyle. It's not and never has been rocket science.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,333,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
What do I think of most fat people? To be honest, that they lack self-control, willpower, and discipline, unless of course it's for an obvious medical reason. I think a lot of them are past the stage of denial and fully on board with "acceptance" of their weight, and our culture has made it more acceptable to be obese that it used to be. It's costing us in medical care, quality of life, and a lot of areas that can't be measured (unlike people's waistlines). Of course the excessively pro-capitalist government and media are partly to blame, but anyone with an ounce (or pound, or ton as it may be) of desire and an internet connection or access to a library can learn all they need to know about nutrition and how to lose weight and choose a healthier lifestyle. It's not and never has been rocket science.
What if I argued that all most obese people have a medical problem (that caused their obesity)? I don't believe that people want to be huge. I think the most common causes are binge eating disorder and depression (which are usually linked together).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
One never knows the true story behind people's weight issues.
I used food to cope with bullying when I was in high school, and once I started college I used it to cope with stress. It's a daily battle. When I drive by a Dunkin Donuts, I really want to get 2 chocolate glazed donuts for $2.10; sometimes I can fight the urge and sometimes I can't.

Food is my drug. Thankfully, I can't go to jail for possession of food, but I'm like any other drug addict. I need my fix. And if something stressful happens, I'm going to use a lot that day/weekend.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:37 AM

270 posts, read 704,627 times
I've always wondered what they eat to make them that big. I eat a lot, too, but I never get over 150lb. And to me, they're friendly people.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:13 AM

328 posts, read 467,047 times
Well, I love hugs from larger people. They are simply the best. However, I worry about the big people that I am close to that have shared their health challenges with me. My stupider, younger self used to think all fat people are lazy but that's not always true, but some are. Some thin people are lazy, too. I admit my ignorance about the human metabolism and its many variations, but I think it benefits us all to do what we can to eat right and stay fit as we can for our own selves, and our loved ones. It hurts to see a loved one get sicker and sicker from eating themselves to death.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:32 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,577,508 times
I believe that everybody deals with something in their life. Some people are lucky to be able to hide their issues. When I see an obese person, I see somebody who is an unlucky soul unable to hide their issues from the world. Or suffering from a health condition like a thyroid problem or a medication with side effects.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:37 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,526,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
I believe that everybody deals with something in their life. Some people are lucky to be able to hide their issues. When I see an obese person, I see somebody who is an unlucky soul unable to hide their issues from the world. Or suffering from a health condition like a thyroid problem or a medication with side effects.
That is true. You could be in line at the grocery store with a compulsive gambler, a pill popper, an identity thief, etc, but it's the fat person who wears their issues on the outside and gets judged for it.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:33 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,194,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
What if I argued that all most obese people have a medical problem (that caused their obesity)? I don't believe that people want to be huge. I think the most common causes are binge eating disorder and depression (which are usually linked together).

<snip> .
One of my closest and oldest friends in the world is morbidly obese (now over 60 BMI; that is huge.) I've watched her go from fat, but functional and working and able to go on walks, over the years, to disabled, half-blind and unable to go far without a go-cart or wheelchair. But she is smart as a whip and wise and very self-aware.
Another good friend of mine was also morbidly obese. He died before he was 50.

Both of these people were very clear about why they were (or are) huge because they were honest: addiction to food.

Unlike most other addictions, where you must quit the addictive substance all-together, that is not possible with food. So I have a lot of sympathy. I don't think it is fair to label such folks as lazy or lacking knowledge or willpower (the very fat people I've known were FAR from lazy or ignorant!)

People who are 20-50 lbs overweight and constantly snivelling and whining about how they have to lose weight; yeah, I have no sympathy. Suck it up, go for walks and quit with the nachos already.

But the truly obese are disordered and/or addicted, one way or another. I don't think you fix that very easily. It's got to be really difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology