Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 03:28 PM

29,702 posts, read 14,801,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investor Five View Post
This is a myth...

Even without high blood pressure, diabetes or other metabolic issues, overweight and obese people have higher rates of death, heart attack and stroke after 10 years compared with their thinner counterparts, the researchers found.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20131202/healthy-obesity-is-a-myth-report-says

If you're overweight or obese, don't kid yourself, the excess weight will likely reduce your lifespan...
You would think that's just common sense...

There are overwieght people that have high blood pressure ,diabetes etc and then there are those that don't , either way your still overweight and putting a huge strain on your body. Things will just wear out faster...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 03:51 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,483,116 times
BTW, not long ago noticed a seriously overweight gal tooling around the inside of a department store on her little red electric scooter. And when she had to slow down to squeeze herself past a line of other folks standing at a checkout, she loudly remarked that "it was too bad that they don't build stores to fit 'bigger people'"! Sounded a bit too "entitled" to me, but it raises an interesting question, whether we should also provide special accommodations for the heavily obese, just as we do for the handicapped?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:34 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,215,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
BTW, not long ago noticed a seriously overweight gal tooling around the inside of a department store on her little red electric scooter. And when she had to slow down to squeeze herself past a line of other folks standing at a checkout, she loudly remarked that "it was too bad that they don't build stores to fit 'bigger people'"! Sounded a bit too "entitled" to me, but it raises an interesting question, whether we should also provide special accommodations for the heavily obese, just as we do for the handicapped?
i consider "obese" to be a handicap, but an almost certainly preventable handicap, so i would say hell no!

Old 12-12-2013, 07:04 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,031,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I wish you were wrong, but you're right. This is sad.
She's right. I was born in Britain and while there's a bit of an obesity problem there, it doesn't compare to here. Healthy food (fruits, vegetables) is generally significantly cheaper while fast food is subject to 17.5% VAT It is sad and sadder still that we blame the victims here.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:17 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,557,137 times
Quote:
This is a myth...

Even without high blood pressure, diabetes or other metabolic issues, overweight and obese people have higher rates of death, heart attack and stroke after 10 years compared with their thinner counterparts, the researchers found.

If you're overweight or obese, don't kid yourself, the excess weight will likely reduce your lifespan...
There can be a huge difference between overweight and obese. You can be somewhat overweight yet be healthy and very fit. IMO that would be about 15 pounds for a woman of average height. The size of your belly needs to be considered as well. I believe the healthy ratio of waist to hip is 0.8.

I have a middle-aged son who is very obese and has a huge and very hard belly - lots of visceral fat. I worry that he will die and so does his family. I finally put it to him bluntly that he wasn't too young to have a heart attack or stroke and get diabetes and that if he wanted to see his kids graduate high school, etc., he needed to do something. Now.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
She's right. I was born in Britain and while there's a bit of an obesity problem there, it doesn't compare to here. Healthy food (fruits, vegetables) is generally significantly cheaper while fast food is subject to 17.5% VAT It is sad and sadder still that we blame the victims here.
There is a big obesity problem here. Not as bad as the US, nobody can beat that. But in certain age groups the obesity rate in the UK is between 25-33%, even with kids. People seem to be trying hard to catch up with the US.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,708,881 times
Quote:
This is a myth...

People who are overweight but do sports are sometimes healthier than skinny people who do not sports. There is a research of that also.

"Health studies have shown that, in good condition, but an overweight person can very well be healthier than the poor condition of normal weight or lean.

- Average, which does not move at all, expose yourself to cardiovascular disease by more than ten pounds of excess weight but having a sporty person, professor
says."

Original not in English therefore no link on it.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:12 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,031,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
There is a big obesity problem here. Not as bad as the US, nobody can beat that. But in certain age groups the obesity rate in the UK is between 25-33%, even with kids. People seem to be trying hard to catch up with the US.
It is cheaper to eat healthy there though. At least in my experience. And I don't see as much obesity when I go back. Being a less car dependent country helps as does tougher food regulations.& fewer fast food restaurants.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:04 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,215,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
mexico has.....

Mexico takes title of "most obese" from America - CBS News

Old 12-12-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
It is cheaper to eat healthy there though. At least in my experience. And I don't see as much obesity when I go back. Being a less car dependent country helps as does tougher food regulations.& fewer fast food restaurants.
I've lived here nearly 14 years and have seen the changes. In the beginning I noticed there were plenty of overweight people and some obese. Now I'm seeing grossly and morbidly obese people. At one point Scottish kids had a higher percentage of obesity than even American kids. Of course, I'm basically seeing what it's like in Scotland, the unhealthiest country in Europe. Besides fast food there's all the chippies, the deep fried pizzas, the other junk food and all the booze. There more and more rubbish food in the shops, but not nearly as much as the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology