Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 09:39 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times

Advertisements

We were talking about this in my psychology class. I was surprised at the responses because I thought that they would be negative. Basically, everyone was in agreement that you never know how someone got that way; therefore, we shouldn't judge them. We also didn't think that there was anything wrong with being overweight because you can be overweight and healthy. However, being obese isn't acceptable.

But then someone brought up another point-of-view: People who have been obese (not overweight) for the majority of their lives should do something extreme like bariatric surgery, The Biggest Loser, Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition, I Used To Be Fat, boot camp, etc.

I just wanted to know your perception of obese people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 03:16 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Default Weight is not my focal point when I met a person

I don't judge people by their weight, but the content of their character. When I encounter a person who is considered obese, I assume they're working on their health, striving to get to where they think they should be. Trying to get to and maintain optimal health is a lifelong struggle for all.

By the way, before I was married, I used to work with an obese woman. She was very attractive and had beautiful skin. She had the most amazing eyes and her lips were incredible. She used to dress very well, wearing tight skirts, and sometimes low-cut sweaters which showed some beautiful cleavage. We were talking on the phone one night and she invited me over. Once there, we talked for a bit before getting into it. Best, most passionate sexual encounter that I had ever had at that point. Simply incredible. We became the best of friends. She eventually went on to have a family of her own, and we still keep in touch.

I don't automatically downgrade a person because of their weight.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:54 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
I've lost 23% of my peak body weight over the past two years (down to 270 from 350). I'm 6'7".

I'm still considered "obese" by scientific terms, but probably wouldn't be considered it via a plain eye test.

I don't even think about it. I never think people "should" be a certain way physically, I would never think to myself "that person needs to go on Biggest Loser", etc.

People are people are people, if they are cool, good-hearted, nice, etc., they get a win in my book. That goes across all physical spectra.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:18 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,203 times
I don't judge and I feel that much of the obesity problem in America specifically is caused by the culture here and the poor quality food, especially for those on low incomes.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:16 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,327 times
When I see an obese person I always wonder if he/she is like that because of junk food and not caring themselves, or because of a metabolic problem.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:53 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
I think they must have a healthier stomach than mine. My acid reflux prevents me from overeating.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:56 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I think they must have a healthier stomach than mine. My acid reflux prevents me from overeating.
Aww! I'm sorry! Does Nexum work for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
When I see an obese person I always wonder if he/she is like that because of junk food and not caring themselves, or because of a metabolic problem.
You also might want to factor in accessibility to healthy foods.

A 12-pack of Poland Natural Springs Water (8 oz.) is $5.99, whereas a 6-pack of Berry-flavored Propel Water (16.9 oz.) is $5.65.

Source

Last edited by Pinkmani; 11-30-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 11-30-2013, 10:12 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Aww! I'm sorry! Does Nexum work for you?

You also might want to factor in accessibility to healthy foods.

A 12-pack of Poland Natural Springs Water (8 oz.) is $5.99, whereas a 6-pack of Berry-flavored Propel Water (16.9 oz.) is $5.65.

Source
That's a major part of the problem in America. Bad food = too cheap. Good food = too expensive. If I were president I'd tax the hell out of fast & junk food and I'd end subsidies for the mass production of corn + would also regulate food better so that high fructose corn syrup is restricted and I'd ban any form of hormones used in animal farming. Oh and I would also encourage urban planning so that there were fewer fast food restaurants everywhere.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:27 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I notice that the thinner countries are either places where food is very expensive or else in short supply.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:28 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
In some cases part of the problem with being overweight/healthy may because of GOOD decisions. I used to be skinny (tried to gain weight) smoked 3 packs of cigs a day. When I quit I started gaining weight, Now as a senior citizen my weight stays with in a few pounds of the technical border between overweight/obesity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology