Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 04:41 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,703,123 times

Advertisements

I have no interest how much or less people weight. Other peoples bodies are not my business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 10:54 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,004,647 times
The US government wants to keep people overweight.

Cheap Fast Food on every corner.
Fruits and veggies are expensive.
Parking spots are bigger as in other countries because Americans have bigger cars.
Minivans/SUV's for easy in and out for big people.
escalators everywhere.
Too many unhealthy food commercials.
Nasty food in school cafeterias.
Big people get a handicapped plate, enabling them to better parking spots, walking even less.
Food portions in restaurants are too big.
Buffets are too cheap.
Massive breakfasts - we are no farmers anymore who work physically hard every day. We don't need a massive plate with bacon, eggs and pancakes for breakfast.
Adjusting sized on clothes to make big people feel better. I used to be M. I didnt lose any weight. Now I am S or even XS. Crazy!!
Adjusting chairs and seats - making them wider.
Kudos to people who can stay thin and healthy in such an environment.

Europe:
Smaller parking spaces. if you can't handle a big car, you don't buy one.
Less SUV's - if you are too fat to get in and out of a regular car, you naturally might consider eating less.
Lots of apartment buildings with up to 5 stories where people have to walk up the stairs several times a day.
Buffets are non existing or more expensive.
Healthy food is cheaper.
Not as many fast food places.
healthy food at schools.
People take their sandwiches to work for lunch and don't eat in restaurants daily.
Oatmeal breakfasts with fruits.
Not so many big malls - you actually walk around more to go from one store to the other.
Nobody makes wider chairs - if you don't fit in a regular chair, you won't sit down.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:03 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,327,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

Parking spots are bigger as in other countries because Americans have bigger cars.
escalators everywhere.
Big people get a handicapped plate, enabling them to better parking spots, walking even less.
Buffets are too cheap.
Massive breakfasts - we are no farmers anymore who work physically hard every day. We don't need a massive plate with bacon, eggs and pancakes for breakfast.
Adjusting sized on clothes to make big people feel better. I used to be M. I didnt lose any weight. Now I am S or even XS. Crazy!!

Europe:
Less SUV's - if you are too fat to get in and out of a regular car, you naturally might consider eating less.
Lots of apartment buildings with up to 5 stories where people have to walk up the stairs several times a day.
Healthy food is cheaper.
healthy food at schools.
People take their sandwiches to work for lunch and don't eat in restaurants daily.
Not so many big malls - you actually walk around more to go from one store to the other.
Nobody makes wider chairs - if you don't fit in a regular chair, you won't sit down.
I wish you were wrong, but you're right. This is sad.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:09 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,004,647 times
Additionally to this, most people work alot. Women are no longer at home, preparing meals for the family.

Therefore, we eat more processed foods and out in restaurants.

There is so much sugar and fat in processed foods, even where you don't expect it.

Plus, we get free refills on soda here. So we drink alot, of course.

In Europe, you have to pay for each soda in a restaurant. So you drink 1-2 usually.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:27 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,327,049 times
Quote:
Additionally to this, most people work alot. Women are no longer at home, preparing meals for the family.

Therefore, we eat more processed foods and out in restaurants.

There is so much sugar and fat in processed foods, even where you don't expect it.

Plus, we get free refills on soda here. So we drink alot, of course.

In Europe, you have to pay for each soda in a restaurant. So you drink 1-2 usually.
Yep, yep, yep!

And we're fearful of letting our kids play outside because of the horror stories, so any exercise they do get is at school (P.E. or recess) and sports (which you have to pay for & that's if you can afford it).

Old 12-11-2013, 11:42 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,444,246 times
Quote:

escalators everywhere.
Buffets are too cheap.
I get where you're going, with this, but many things in your list have a less conspiratorial rationale. People have minivans and SUVs because they have kids and dogs and tow things or live somewhere that 4WD is convenient, not because they're fat. Handicapped people get handicapped plates, not fat people. Escalators and elevators exist for disabled people. You want an arthritic 80-year-old woman to climb 3 flights of stairs to go shopping?

Old 12-11-2013, 11:54 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,703,123 times
Quote:

Europe:
Healthy food is cheaper.
healthy food at schools.
Some people eat chocolate for lunch, not all people eat healthy in Europe. It is what people prefer to eat.

But I don't agree with you that healthy food is cheaper in Europes all corners. For example a tomato kilogram is able to cost 12-14 dollars easily (especially if organic). You can eat lot, lot of fast food on that cost.

I bought a salad vegetables yesterday, that made 25 dollars. And there was only different kind of basic vegetables and leafs.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:26 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,468,448 times
It's also a "cultural" thang in some parts of the country, like the South in particular, where "big" is more the norm. But unfortunately those folks also seem to like to smoke & drink too much, and engage in other sorts of 'risky behavior'. Meaning we also get higher rates of diabetes, COPD, substance abuse, heart disease, etc.. So the simple fact is that overweight folks also put a substantially greater burden and cost on our collective "safety net".

http://www.maxmasnick.com/2011/11/15/obesity_by_county/

Old 12-11-2013, 01:47 PM

115 posts, read 135,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post

We were talking about this in my psychology class. I was surprised at the responses because I thought that they would be negative. Basically, everyone was in agreement that you never know how someone got that way; therefore, we shouldn't judge them. We also didn't think that there was anything wrong with being overweight because you can be overweight and healthy. However, being obese isn't acceptable.

But then someone brought up another point-of-view: People who have been obese (not overweight) for the majority of their lives should do something extreme like bariatric surgery, The Biggest Loser, Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition, I Used To Be Fat, boot camp, etc.

I just wanted to know your perception of obese people.

This is a myth...

Even without high blood pressure, diabetes or other metabolic issues, overweight and obese people have higher rates of death, heart attack and stroke after 10 years compared with their thinner counterparts, the researchers found.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20131202/healthy-obesity-is-a-myth-report-says

If you're overweight or obese, don't kid yourself, the excess weight will likely reduce your lifespan...

Old 12-11-2013, 02:06 PM

50,399 posts, read 47,145,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investor Five View Post
This is a myth...

Even without high blood pressure, diabetes or other metabolic issues, overweight and obese people have higher rates of death, heart attack and stroke after 10 years compared with their thinner counterparts, the researchers found.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20131202/healthy-obesity-is-a-myth-report-says

If you're overweight or obese, don't kid yourself, the excess weight will likely reduce your lifespan...
Yep, it is like listening to people that don't think smoking is harmful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology