Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:36 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,659,308 times

Advertisements

No. You can't be living proof. I believe your story but most obese people are poor.

Many seem to believe that eating lots of meat and fat filed whipped cream equals health. They tend to be finicky eaters who eschew fruits and veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 11:29 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,540,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Part of the reasons many Americans are fat is lack of exercise. When gas costs $7+ gallon in Europe people walk more.

I don't even know of any of my European family where there are 2 cars to a household. Some none esp. if they live close to public transportation.

The other issue is many Americans, esp those in 4 season climates, have huge homes compared to any European. Point being is people get cabin fever in Europe in the winter and go outside walk to get fresh air, many homes here are so big cabin fever isn't as much as issue.
What is the excuse why there are so many obese people in Europe?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Old 12-08-2013, 12:51 AM

631 posts, read 1,074,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post

We were talking about this in my psychology class. I was surprised at the responses because I thought that they would be negative. Basically, everyone was in agreement that you never know how someone got that way; therefore, we shouldn't judge them. We also didn't think that there was anything wrong with being overweight because you can be overweight and healthy. However, being obese isn't acceptable.

But then someone brought up another point-of-view: People who have been obese (not overweight) for the majority of their lives should do something extreme like bariatric surgery, The Biggest Loser, Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition, I Used To Be Fat, boot camp, etc.

I just wanted to know your perception of obese people.
Life is given only once. So, I don't see anything bad in getting as much pleasure as you can. If you want to overeat, if you want to eat delicious food high in calories - go ahead, it is your right.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:22 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,540,799 times
Quote:

We were talking about this in my psychology class. I was surprised at the responses because I thought that they would be negative. Basically, everyone was in agreement that you never know how someone got that way; therefore, we shouldn't judge them. We also didn't think that there was anything wrong with being overweight because you can be overweight and healthy. However, being obese isn't acceptable.

But then someone brought up another point-of-view: People who have been obese (not overweight) for the majority of their lives should do something extreme like bariatric surgery, The Biggest Loser, Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition, I Used To Be Fat, boot camp, etc.

I just wanted to know your perception of obese people.
Don't care.
I would never tell other people how much i think they should weigh.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:12 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,331,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
Life is given only once. So, I don't see anything bad in getting as much pleasure as you can. If you want to overeat, if you want to eat delicious food high in calories - go ahead, it is your right.
Lol, this makes me feel a little better as I'm eating Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast.

I guess I can overeat if I want to, but I know I shouldn't do it because I like to travel, but I don't want to pay for two airplane seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Don't care.
I would never tell other people how much i think they should weigh.
I've told my friends (when they have asked) whether or not they should lose weight. Sometimes we have a warped perception of ourselves.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:40 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,554,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
However, it is not their right to overload the health care systems with diseases caused by being obese - like heart disease and diabetes and colon cancer. It makes healthcare more expensive for everyone.

And they also have the right to pay for two seats on an airplane when they are so huge that sitting next to them causes the circulation in my thighs to be cut off due to their extra ample thighs impinging on my space.

And obese parents who give their kids so much fat and sugar that they become obese at a very young age should be charged with child abuse.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:41 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,834,198 times
I see so many morbidly obese women (mostly at Wal-Mart) and it seems like they are making a statement and are part of a social movement. You will all tear me apart but these are some of the thoughts I picture floating through their brains.

"We are real, those pretty thin b*thces are fake".

"There is nothing wrong with us being fat. Fat is beautiful. We are beautiful dammit and if a guy can't see that he is shallow as hell".

"Women should not try to look attractive to men. That is backwards. It's all about comfort. I'll eat what I want, get as big as I want and then come here to Wal Mart with my comfortable sweatpants, sneakers and no makeup so I can buy more of my favorite comfort food. Just look at the junk food in my cart I'm going to enjoy every calorie".

Old 12-09-2013, 02:31 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,214,074 times
i wouldn't tell any fat person that they needed to lose weight. not my business. if they wanted to lose weight, i would offer whatever advice i could if they asked for it. otherwise, let them drive themselves into an early grave. just dont start blaming others or making lameass because you're fat and pushing this "fat acceptance" movement bull****. that is all sorts of rediculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I see so many morbidly obese women (mostly at Wal-Mart) and it seems like they are making a statement and are part of a social movement. You will all tear me apart but these are some of the thoughts I picture floating through their brains.

"There is nothing wrong with us being fat. Fat is beautiful. We are beautiful dammit and if a guy can't see that he is shallow as hell".

"Women should not try to look attractive to men. That is backwards. It's all about comfort. I'll eat what I want, get as big as I want and then come here to Wal Mart with my comfortable sweatpants, sneakers and no makeup so I can buy more of my favorite comfort food. Just look at the junk food in my cart I'm going to enjoy every calorie".
why would we tear you apart unless you believe these idiotic thoughts yourself?

that is probably what i visualize them thinking too.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:51 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,331,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post

Well, I don't think it matters. I see morbidly obese people everywhere.

And nope, I'm not going to tear you apart. Some people have said similar things (prior to your post) and they weren't torn apart. It's a matter of opinion. You're allowed that. Is your opinion nice to say to a fat person? Probably not.

I agree, the "you wish you were thick" or "guys don't like skinny chicks" is nonsense because guys are attracted to different things. However, stats show that the majority of guys like an hourglass figure with C-cup boobs and nice round bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
i wouldn't tell any fat person that they needed to lose weight. not my business. if they wanted to lose weight, i would offer whatever advice i could if they asked for it. otherwise, let them drive themselves into an early grave. just dont start blaming others or making lameass because you're fat and pushing this "fat acceptance" movement bull****. that is all sorts of rediculous.
I agree, again, I don't think "fat shaming" or "fat acceptance" is right. I was always told, "If you don't like the way someone looks, then don't look."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
However, it is not their right to overload the health care systems with diseases caused by being obese - like heart disease and diabetes and colon cancer. It makes healthcare more expensive for everyone.

And they also have the right to pay for two seats on an airplane when they are so huge that sitting next to them causes the circulation in my thighs to be cut off due to their extra ample thighs impinging on my space.

And obese parents who give their kids so much fat and sugar that they become obese at a very young age should be charged with child abuse.
My mom, a nurse, is about to stop working bedside and move to computers. She's a small 5'4" woman and she can't afford to help obese patients move themselves. God forbid she hurts herself, her only option would be paid sick-leave which obviously isn't the same amount as her regular check. Some of these people can't even wipe their own butts.

It's sad to see how unhealthy people are. I try my hardest to maintain my weight. And let me tell you, it's a struggle. But I find a balance and some weeks I do well and some weeks I don't.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:35 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,513,000 times
Quote:
I try my hardest to maintain my weight. And let me tell you, it's a struggle. But I find a balance and some weeks I do well and some weeks I don't.
I want to commend you on having a healthy, realistic attitude and I posted this in public to help remind some, including me , that the statement you made is really the best anyone can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology