Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:13 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times

Advertisements

I have. I went to school in Northern Wisconsin and that is what they would say when the time and temperature clock would read minus 34 degrees & we would be walking around without hats or gloves (soooo uncool those).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I have. I went to school in Northern Wisconsin and that is what they would say when the time and temperature clock would read minus 34 degrees & we would be walking around without hats or gloves (soooo uncool those).
Yes, seems funny to me now - I remember living in lots of snow in upstate New York as a child. Didn't bother me then . But now, I'd be bundled up but good! Nancy, tell me though, did it feel like dry weather to you??? You're right, at a young age it's much more important to look cool than be warm, eh?

Old 06-17-2008, 09:24 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
my mom just moved from Portland to Bend, and she claims winters in Bend have more snow, but feel warmer because its a "dry cold" Eh??? I asked her how water frozen into snow/ice can be dry, and she says "Portland is more soggy wet that seeps into my bones, and Bend is more snow, than clear skies" humm...im not sure, but i guess if it makes sense to her and shes happier there, thats what it comes down to.
Tiff

Old 06-17-2008, 09:24 AM

865 posts, read 2,502,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Wow!!! The first post I've read where someone prefers cold weather.---

However, at this stage of my life, bright, sunny winter days are worth the chance. Only thinking here, because I do think Oregon is one of the most beautiful states I've ever lived in.

Hey, roneb, my Montana friend tells me that all he wears in the winter is a light jacket...and it's not really that cold because it's DRY...every hear that one before??
I remember when we moved from AK to Washington at the start of high school. I think the teachers were about to check with social services becaused it had snowed and all I was wearing to school was a lined windbreaker. It felt fine to me!

Admittedly, I DO need to bundle up a bit more now; but a recent trip to Fairbanks over 2006 Christmas break proved to me that "dry cold" is still fun as long as you're out in the sun and active!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,198 times
Default Sunshine In Oregon

Although the winters can be long if you just moved in November, and you are still alive and kicking, you are doing fine, you can look forward to a great summer now that Rose Festival has come and gone. I lived in Oregon for 35 years, and to escape the winters, you will need to get out of town every once in a while. Just heading up to Mt. Hood and or Eastern Oregon will do you some good.

I used to plan all my holidays in the winter months, and come down to Mexico / Carribean.

My advise to find friends is,,,,, just start conversing, it is NOTHING like LA / California. People are far less judgmental, and most people are very friendly. They are honest, and not just looking out for "whats in this for me"

Hope this helps.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:34 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Nancy, tell me though, did it feel like dry weather to you??? You're right, at a young age it's much more important to look cool than be warm, eh?

I do not remembering feeling cold, but I must have. Often it was so cold that your eye lashes would freeze together and your eyes would be stuck closed !!!!! You know , when you are only twenty, I don't think that you feel the cold. Now, I would have triple layers on. I mean, I am not cool at all & who cares.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
my mom just moved from Portland to Bend, and she claims winters in Bend have more snow, but feel warmer because its a "dry cold" Eh??? I asked her how water frozen into snow/ice can be dry, and she says "Portland is more soggy wet that seeps into my bones, and Bend is more snow, than clear skies" humm...im not sure, but i guess if it makes sense to her and shes happier there, thats what it comes down to.
Tiff
I can relate having grown up in Chicago. You can go outside in the winter and see snow on the ground and the sun shining in the sky. The dryness feels a lot warmer in lower temps than the dampness in a higher temp.
As you get older, the dampness does get into your bones as your mom says and you feel much colder regardless of the temp.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:24 PM

45 posts, read 199,731 times
I can relate, I went through a period living in Portland where the constant drizzly weather from November to April really got me irritated. I just sort of got used to it. The first time I really remember not caring about the weather was after a vacation back East - when I returned, Portland was on the cusp of Spring and everything was budding. All of a sudden the dampness was more an indication of everything green being fed by the rain. I could literally smell the dirt, all damp and fertile. It was nice. I went out and bought myself the gaudiest, brightest umbrella I could find (I know, not cool in Portland but who cares)...I think it had frogs all over it....and from then on out, it wasn't a major problem anymore. Sure I got fed up with it occasionally, but in general I think I accepted that if you live in an area with any kind of winter season, it's gonna be dreary. I live on the East Coast now and winters are just as depressing and gloomy but in a windy, god-I-can't-believe-how-freezing-it-is kind of way.

My advice, for what's it's worth, is to create as much light and warmth for yourself in lieu of actual light and warmth. I got an apartment with a fireplace and that was a big plus for the winter, and I took the opportunity to get creative with all sorts of comfort meal recipes. Plus I kept pretty busy with seeing live music and various events in the dance community, so it kept me occupied. Music and exercise are excellent mood lifters, IMO. I have a friend who got a natural light lamp and even got an insurance discount due to SAD. She says it helps. She's in Philadelphia, BTW.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:58 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
When we lived there, the weather did not improve much in April, more like mid june, but the daffodils started blooming in March, that was nice. The plan of taking your vacation during the winter months is a good one. Hawaii is just across the water.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,798 times
Default rain is nothing

Just reading all the comments on nw rain and wishing my only complaint was rain. Living in milwaukee wi and just experienced the worst winter in my lifetime 90 plus inches of snow it was a white hell!!!!!!! My ultimate goal is to move to portland, asheville or mabye az. Portland is at the top of my list. After living 30 years in the midwest with brutal snot freezing temps, a little or alot of rain will be a relief compared to this winter crap we midwesterners endure every year.'
all of you...consider yourself lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland