Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 11:22 AM

142 posts, read 343,591 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Michigan and an artist ( painting and drawing). I have had a dream for a few years to move to Oregon or Washington. It just seemed like it might fit me well and vice-versa. Unfortunately, when I saw the high cost of living and the fact that teaching jobs for artists don't seem to exist I decided to look else where. Paying $1000-2000 for rent seems like an impossible task, not to mention utilities.
The highest rent I've ever paid was around $650 a month.

Anyway ,flash forward a year later I have moved to upstate South carolina which is nice, but I am finding I really dislike the hot humid summers , plus there are no jobs here. Even all the teaching jobs have dried up. I had been an art teacher in Michigan. As far as an art scene in Greenville..well it does exist if you look hard enough but I think it's more a good old boys network and a scene for those who have some kind of old money or family support to back them up.
At the moment I am unemployed, miserable and trapped here. I am wondering if I should have moved to the northwest despite the high cost of living. I have heard that Portland is more artsy than Seattle and less costly.

Do jobs in Portland pay a decent wage?
If I do make the move in the near future I would like to be able to rent a loft, space, home, mobile home and possible have a garage or space to work with my art. I'd need a 2-3 bedroom place. It doesn't have to be in the city. In fact I wouldn't mind living alone in the boonies as long as the city is a short commute. I also have a lot of pets (cats and a big dog). What would I have to put down for a downpayment?
What can I expect to pay for utilities?

What kind of jobs are popular in the area, jobs that always hire and pay well? I have been thinking of learning web design or going back to school for web design and computer software design classes. Hopefully I could get a certificate or something. I guess I am ultimately seeking an arts or education related job where I could work 3040 hours a week and survive successfully. I dont have to be rich I just want to pay my rent, pay my bills, have money left over for art making, entertainment and save for travel, etc, and a family someday).

I have some skills in flash, photoshop, teaching art , video editing, 2d animation,stop motion. I am curious about educational software. My dream is to someday live off my art work and perhaps start a studio and non profit gallery/art org.
Suggestions for relocating as an artist??
Should I apply for jobs in portland long distance? HELP??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 02:35 PM

218 posts, read 721,016 times
Artist, hmmm! isn't that just a polite way to say "Unemployed" But in all seriousness the Job market in Portland is pretty bleak right now and unemployment is pretty high. You might want to start out renting a room from someone and hit the pavement and find any type of job until you can find some else in the field you truly want to work in. There is a art school downtown, maybe you can get a bit direction from them about the local art community, Best of luck, Portland is a great city!!

Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 PM

142 posts, read 343,591 times
Well, being an artist doesn't have to mean unemployment. Art is involved in most businesses and occupations, the problem is finding the training one needs and also there is often strong competition. I went to art school for fine arts and I have a certificate to teach k-12 art , but most k-12 jobs have dried up nationwide. Anyone who claims there is a teacher shortage doesn't know what they are talking about. I wouldn't be able to rent just a room as I have lots of pets and some other stuff. Maybe my best bet would be to find a job before I relocated. Probably with my skills I could either teacher art at a college or school, work as a college staff member , work perhaps in a library , or as a clerk, or work as an entry level animator or video editor.
I am also considering returning to school for a graduate degree in a field where I could get easily hired and earn a decent living. Not sure what that would be at the moment. I guess I'll have to check some want ads from Portland.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:39 PM

218 posts, read 721,016 times
Being a Artist meaning Unemployed was just a joke

Old 07-24-2010, 09:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Probably with my skills I could either teacher art at a college or school, work as a college staff member , work perhaps in a library , or as a clerk, or work as an entry level animator or video editor.
If these are your only options then you are correct in that it would be better for you to see if you can find work before you move here. Those are not very promising fields in which to seek employment but you may be lucky and find something that will support you.

I have to give the same advice I have given others who want to relocate and have multiple pets; please be sure before you move if you don't have a job that you do have enough funds to survive for at least a year. I say this because the animal shelters around town are filled to overflowing with pets surrendered because their owners can no longer afford to keep them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: