Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:26 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,539,738 times

Advertisements

Hey quest, if a parent chooses to implant his child with a chip, for any number of obvious reasons, are you going to tell him he can't? If so, I'll ask you again. Are you some kind of authoritarian communist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

968 posts, read 1,041,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If its part of the healthcare bill, (the stories link to the old versions and I havent pulled up the new editions to see if it still exists), then it indeed is the government doing such things is it not? Its not McDonalds offering to implant people to track big mac sales..
Do you people really believe this crap???

This portion of the bill is cut and dry. The FDA regulates medical equipment for safety. In doing such, they break medical equipment down into 3 broad categories:

Class 1 (General Controls): Things like bedpans, tongue depressors, bandages, etc.

Class 2 (General Controls with Special Controls): Things like X-ray machines, wheelchairs, infusion pumps, and yes - implantable chips for medical data storage.

Class 3 (Special Controls and Premarket Approval): Things like pacemakers, replacement heart valves, silicone breast implants, etc (things that go in your body to save your life, or that if something when wrong could kill you)

This bill creates a registry for Class 3 devices and certain Class 2 devices (implantable ones, etc) so that the FDA can assess their safety and act quickly in cases of things like recalls of life giving (or by virtue of being inside you potentially life threatening) medical devices. This is already done to an extent - all these devices have serial numbers that are recorded against the patient in which they are placed. It's a great idea and will save lives.

The fact of the matter is there are private companies that make implantable medical chips consumers can go out and buy - for instance Applied Digital Solutions makes a product called the VeriChip. These types of medical devices are classified as implantable Class 2. If you choose to get one from a private company, the serial number will be recorded in the registry. What's wrong with that? If I got one and it later turned out that it was made of some toxic metal, I'd like to be quickly notified that I need to get it the hell out of my arm.

This bill in NO WAY requires people to get implanted medical tracking chips. In in NO WAY is the government giving you the option of allowing them to implant a chip in you. These are just lies made up for dumb people.

69,368 posts, read 64,208,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe his chip is malfunctioning?
I've though similar things many times after reading your postings. Feelings mutual..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
I find it odd, that YOU think people would be okay with this. I know I am not, no matter who is President.
Obviously some think its ok, some have made non stop excuses about how its an option but not required. All people have done is validate that its "ok"..

Old 04-18-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Hey quest, if a parent chooses to implant his child with a chip, for any number of obvious reasons, are you going to tell him he can't?
THEY NOW CAN IMPLANT THEIR CHILD.. They dont need a law to allow people to do what they can already do. This is like writing a law allowing you to cut your grass. Or writing a law allowing women to have children. Why do you keep ignoring this point?
Quote:
Are you some kind of authoritarian communist?
Are you going to discuss the issue, or are you going to attack other posters all day.. I know, dont answer!!!

Old 04-18-2010, 10:31 AM

968 posts, read 1,041,140 times
Quote:
I never said there was a mandate, the wording clearly offers it as an option. You are pretending I'm saying things again that I havent..

Oh please. Where in the wording is it "clearly" stated that you have now have the option of the government putting a tracking chip in you?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:34 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,539,738 times
Quote:
THEY NOW CAN IMPLANT THEIR CHILD.. They dont need a law to allow people to do what they can already do. This is like writing a law allowing you to cut your grass. Or writing a law allowing women to have children. Why do you keep ignoring this point?
I made no mention of law in the post you're replying to. Your chip is obviously malfunctioning.
Quote:
Are you going to discuss the issue, or are you going to attack other posters all day.. I know, dont answer!!!
Posters? Plural? How many people are you?

I can't discuss anything with you, quest. You can't keep up. That's not an attack, just my opinion. Have fun.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:35 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,524,355 times
the real point isn't whether or not, it is they had the gall to even suggest or make innuendo to do it

Old 04-18-2010, 10:35 AM

1,089 posts, read 656,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
This bill in NO WAY requires people to get implanted medical tracking chips. In in NO WAY is the government giving you the option of allowing them to implant a chip in you. These are just lies made up for dumb people.
Well said, now who could those dumb people be?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
Oh please. Where in the wording is it "clearly" stated that you have now have the option of the government putting a tracking chip in you?
(g)(1) The Secretary shall establish a national medical device registry (in this subsection referred to as the ‘registry’) to facilitate analysis of postmarket safety and outcomes data on each device that— ‘‘(A) is or has been used in or on a patient; ‘‘(B)and is— ‘‘(i) a class III device; or ‘‘(ii) a class II device that is implantable, life-supporting, or life-sustaining.”

Section B
‘‘(B) In this paragraph, the term ‘data’ refers to information respecting a device described in paragraph (1), including claims data, patient survey data, standardized analytic files that allow for the pooling and analysis of data from disparate data environments, electronic health records, and any other data deemed appropriate by the Secretary
http://waysandmeans.house.gov/media/...CA09001xml.pdf

But again, it seems this was REMOVED in the law signed by Obama..

Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
the real point isn't whether or not, it is they had the gall to even suggest or make innuendo to do it
Thats my point.. liberals would correctly rioting in the street if conservatives made any such suggestions in a bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies