Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:11 PM

20,504 posts, read 12,469,689 times

Advertisements

It should also be pointed out that the founders never intended to shield individuals from public expressions of faith.

Freedom “from” religion is a 20th century invention as is the notion of the “wall” of separation. Some like to act like these things have been with us for our entire 230 year history but that is simply not supported by the historic record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 01:11 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,556,766 times
Talking I think I made my own head hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Thank you!

Of course the government cannot tell individuals not to have a day of prayer. But on the National Day of Prayer, the president is supposed to ask everyone to pray.

AND...Obama bashers-- In the story, an Obama spokesman said because the ruling will be appealed, Obama will still observe the NDoP. Now who are you gonna hate on?
Myself?

Old 04-16-2010, 01:12 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,186,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Jefferson's reply to Danbury was not proof that the founders intended that the federal government was prevented from promoting faith in general.

The letter even speaks of a national religion and Jefferson’s opposition to such. It is not a treatise on the constitution nor is it some magic proof that the founders sought to prevent the government from promoting faith in general.

In fact if anything Jefferson’s letter proves that the founders opposed the establishment of a single denomination of Christianity to become the official tax supported church of America…. And nothing more.

Other writings of Jefferson show support for the idea of faith being expressed in the public domain.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state.

This is to what I refer. This is the wall of separation. Prayer is an expression of religion, whether it is Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. By delcaring a NDOP, the government is, in effect making a law respecting the establishment of religion. People can still pray, people can still worship, or not, as they please.

Whether the NDOP will be struck down by the SCOTUS remains to be seen.

And, before anyone asks, or assumes anything, I am a Christian, raised a Southern Baptist, and was dunked back in 1981.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:12 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,265,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Perhaps Obama should nominate you to sit on the SCOTUS.

Well just pray then that it gets overturned.
I certainly would not serve.
But it will set a precedent either way.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:14 PM

33,014 posts, read 19,676,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
[And, before anyone asks, or assumes anything, I am a Christian, raised a Southern Baptist, and was dunked back in 1981.
what's dunked?????

do you mean baptized, as a baby???

Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,265,154 times
Quote:
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state.

This is to what I refer. This is the wall of separation. Prayer is an expression of religion, whether it is Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. By delcaring a NDOP, the government is, in effect making a law respecting the establishment of religion. People can still pray, people can still worship, or not, as they please.

Whether the NDOP will be struck down by the SCOTUS remains to be seen.

And, before anyone asks, or assumes anything, I am a Christian, raised a Southern Baptist, and was dunked back in 1981.
The problem i see is the national day of prayer is a non binding resolution. A non binding resolution is not a law, therefore there has to be some question as if a non binding resolution can be declared unconstitutional.
The Sc deals with he constitutionality of laws and has never had a case about a non binding resolution since it is not a law

Old 04-16-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what's dunked?????

do you mean baptized, as a baby???

No, in the Baptist religion, you are baptised (dunked- full immersion) when you accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior. Most Baptist churches have a baptismal pool in the back of the choir pews. My mother was "dunked" in a river in Tennessee.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The problem i see is the national day of prayer is a non binding resolution. A non binding resolution is not a law, therefore there has to be some question as if a non binding resolution can be declared unconstitutional.
The Sc deals with he constitutionality of laws and has never had a case about a non binding resolution since it is not a law

I'm sure that will be addressed on appeal, or in the Supreme Court.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:21 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,449,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why do they need to be accommodated?
They can pray wherever and whenever they want without government intervention or support.
They get all the support they need without special consideration.

Think they'd support a national day of anti-prayer?
This gives special consideration to one group over another.
Maybe some of them fear that one day, their religion won't have more influence than others.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:22 PM

33,014 posts, read 19,676,880 times
Quote:
No, in the Baptist religion, you are baptised (dunked- full immersion) when you accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior. Most Baptist churches have a baptismal pool in the back of the choir pews. My mother was "dunked" in a river in Tennessee.
So it was 'baptized' just not as a baby

I just know that the baptists, and their fanatical cousins the 'born-agains' are part of the extreme on the religious scale

I had a bunch of them ask me 'Are you Saaaaved?', when I was stationed in North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies