Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:50 AM

415 posts, read 611,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
President George Bush:

Office of the Press Secretary

April 22, 2008

National Day of Prayer, 2008

A Proclamation by the President of the United States of
America

America trusts in the abiding power of prayer and asks for the wisdom to discern God's will in times of joy and of trial.
Too bad you didn't ask for wisdom before you attacked Iraq.

Quote:
President George Bush:
As we observe this National Day of Prayer, we recognize our dependence on the Almighty, we thank Him for the many blessings He has bestowed upon us, and we put our country's future in His hands.
When did we give you authority over when and what we pray?

Quote:
President George Bush:
From our Nation's humble beginnings, prayer has guided our leaders and played a vital role in the life and history of the United States.
How does that give you advisory jurisdiction over our prayers?

Quote:
President George Bush:
Americans of many different faiths share the profound conviction that God listens to the voice of His children and pours His grace upon those who seek Him in prayer.
Why isn't God pouring his grace upon our occupation of Iraq?

Quote:
President George Bush:
By surrendering our lives to our loving Father, we learn to serve His eternal purposes, and we are strengthened, refreshed, and ready for all that may come.
Why are you trespassing on God's prerogative to advise us regarding when, where, and how to surrender our lives to him?

Quote:
President George Bush:
On this National Day of Prayer, we ask God's continued blessings on our country.
When did we give the authority to say our prayers for us?

Quote:
President George Bush:
This year's theme, "Prayer! America's Strength and Shield," is taken from Psalm 28:7, "The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped."
When did we give you the authority to establish a theme for our prayers?

Quote:
President George Bush:
On this day, we pray for the safety of our brave men and women in uniform, for their families, and for the comfort and recovery of those who have been wounded.
If you were all that concerned, you wouldn't have lied us into war with Iraq.

Quote:
President George Bush:
The Congress, by Public Law 100-307, as amended, has called on our Nation to reaffirm the role of prayer in our society by recognizing each year a "National Day of Prayer."
When did we give Congress the authority to affirm or deny the role of prayer?

Quote:
President George Bush:
NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim May 1, 2008, as a National Day of Prayer. I ask the citizens of our Nation to give thanks, each according to his or her own faith, for the freedoms and blessings we have received and for God's continued guidance, comfort, and protection. I invite all Americans to join in observing this day with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.
When did we give you advisory jurisdiction over when, or form what reason, we give thanks to God?

Quote:
President George Bush:
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-first day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand eight, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-second.

GEORGE W. BUSH
You should be ashamed of yourself for setting an evil example for the nation by trespassing upon the prerogatives of the Almighty. No wonder religion is going to hell around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 09:10 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,178,125 times
Great post!

Sheesh ! It was that visit by the pope!! Now georgie thinks he's the pope of America! (He's secretly just dying to wear one of those funny hats!)

I wonder if truly religious people will acknowledge bush as their new spiritual leader?

I wonder if true patriots will line up behind Rev. bush as the new religious faith, "America", is formed ???

Old 04-28-2008, 10:07 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,504,470 times
Nothing fails so consistently as prayer. Well, Bush maybe...

Old 04-28-2008, 10:11 AM

415 posts, read 611,561 times
They should call it "A Day Of Civil Authority over Religion" or perhaps "A Day Of Satanic Prayer", because anyone who acknowledges civil jurisdiction over their religion, might as well acknowledge Satan as their God.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:59 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,361,386 times
Lest we be consumed with irreligious fervor, let us keep in mind that the admixture of religion and our national political life has not been without its high points:

Thanksgiving Proclamation by Abraham Lincoln

Old 04-28-2008, 11:00 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,447,622 times
bush has lost it

Old 04-28-2008, 11:02 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,298,037 times
1952-APR-17: A bill proclaiming an annual National Day of Prayer (NDP) was unanimously passed by both houses of congress. President Truman signed it into law. It required the President to select a day for national prayer each year.

History of the National Day of Prayer (NDP)

It is part of Federal Law to have this observance.

Has nothing to do with this Administration

Old 04-28-2008, 11:03 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,146,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Lest we be consumed with irreligious fervor, let us keep in mind that the admixture of religion and our national political life has not been without its high points:

Thanksgiving Proclamation by Abraham Lincoln
I would hope that the most religious among us would object just as vociferously to a "National Day of Prayer."

Old 04-28-2008, 11:03 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,298,037 times
For the first time in U.S. history, a bill enacting a permanent national day of prayer passed both houses. The Senate bill, S. 1378, was introduced by South Carolina Senator Strom Thurmond, while the House version was introduced by Ohio democrat Tony Hall.

National Day of Prayer

Interesting: The current law is the amended version introduced by two Democrats

Old 04-28-2008, 11:10 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,504,470 times
Has nothing to do with the Constitution either. NDP is just another thing that needs pitching out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies