Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:18 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,759,249 times

Advertisements

Being a practicing christian I believe the Government should stay as secular as possible. I don't want someday to be told how, where, when or what to pray about.
Is Obama's proclamation unconstitutional? U.S District Judge Barbara Crabb from Wisconsin has ruled against the day of prayer. What say you?

Presidential Proclamation--National Day of Prayer | The White House
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 05:20 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,921,949 times
Well, if you're a true Christian you shouldn't need a National Day of Prayer. You should pray daily and recognize God daily, not just for one day.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:21 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,993,822 times
That's good news, now I can use my rug, the one with hands and feet on it. I don't have GPS, but I got a compass.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,093,131 times
There are NO national holidays designated by the Federal Government. Not even Christmas or the Fourth of July. It is fairly common, I think, for some dickwad to present a bill to congress recognizing almost every day or week or month as National Something, which always passes unanimously, and I guess there's nothing wrong with the president doing it, too.

The eleven days that are designated by the federal government as holidays govern only days off work that federal workers are entitled to. Nothing else is implied by a federal holiday.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are NO national holidays designated by the Federal Government. Not even Christmas or the Fourth of July. It is fairly common, I think, for some dickwad to present a bill to congress recognizing almost every day or week or month as National Something, which always passes unanimously, and I guess there's nothing wrong with the president doing it, too.

The eleven days that are designated by the federal government as holidays govern only days off work that federal workers are entitled to. Nothing else is implied by a federal holiday.
Ok I'm missing your point. No sarcasm needed! How does your post apply to the President's proclamation a National Day of Prayer. Should we not be concerned that the President is telling the people that he governs though the powers of the Constitution that a particular day be observed as a day to pray?

Old 05-05-2010, 06:57 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,361,386 times
I applaud the President's action. Every once in a while, it's necessary to yank on the chains of the religion-haters and remind them that religious faith has an important role to play in the national conversation.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I applaud the President's action. Every once in a while, it's necessary to yank on the chains of the religion-haters and remind them that religious faith has an important role to play in the national conversation.
Well, ok can't that be accomplished through the people we elect? Look at all the other arguments against religion and government being in bed together. I am a devout Christian. However, I don't want my President proclamating religious beliefs. Prayer is religious belief in communication with a higher deity.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:24 PM

898 posts, read 1,404,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Well, ok can't that be accomplished through the people we elect? Look at all the other arguments against religion and government being in bed together. I am a devout Christian. However, I don't want my President proclamating religious beliefs. Prayer is religious belief in communication with a higher deity.
But it is not specific to any particular faith.
Christians pray, Muslims pray, Jews pray... I believe Japanese people pray to their ancestors. I don't know where this would be unconstitutional, at least not per the 1st Amendment, as it is not "respecting any establishment of religion."

I could see a 10th Amendment argument against it, as I don't believe there is a specific authority given to the federal government to create such a day. But since it is not a binding law (there is no obligation on any of the citizenry), I don't even know why the courts would waste their time hearing the case. Who would have even had standing to sue?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
But it is not specific to any particular faith.
Christians pray, Muslims pray, Jews pray... I believe Japanese people pray to their ancestors. I don't know where this would be unconstitutional, at least not per the 1st Amendment, as it is not "respecting any establishment of religion."

I could see a 10th Amendment argument against it, as I don't believe there is a specific authority given to the federal government to create such a day. But since it is not a binding law (there is no obligation on any of the citizenry), I don't even know why the courts would waste their time hearing the case. Who would have even had standing to sue?
Presidential Proclamations are technically laws. They carry legal weight. The President uses delegated unilateral powers as the basis for the Proclamation. Same as Executive Orders.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,361,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Let fools bray as they wish. Their complaints affect our Constitution not one iota.

It is absurd to deny the President the right to proclaim his religious beliefs, while all other citizens are permitted to do so.

Asking people to observe a day of prayer is in no way a "law." Besides, prayer is a form of religious meditation often characterized by silence. That alone makes it a worthwhile activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies